Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gusher guessing; follow up

Gusher guessing; follow up 25 Sep 2017 23:45 #1

• scubadiver#3988
  • scubadiver#3988's Avatar Topic Author
  • 1997 #3988
  • Thank you received: 1
I found the problem to the generator over heat. I closed the sea cock to the genset and removed the supply hose. Only seeping water could be seen dribbling out. I use the wooden stick plunge method and water came out. I was expecting a geyser.
Here's the question - shouldn't the spout of water coming out of the sea cock be as high as the waterline?
Only 1 1/2 inch above the hose nipple was coming out. The top of the hose nipple is approx. 10 inches below the waterline. I thought the water spout would be 10 inches.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gusher guessing; follow up 26 Sep 2017 02:43 #2

• kev_rm
  • 1987 3870 Hino 175's
  • Thank you received: 31

scubadiver#3988 wrote: I found the problem to the generator over heat. I closed the sea cock to the genset and removed the supply hose. Only seeping water could be seen dribbling out. I use the wooden stick plunge method and water came out. I was expecting a geyser.
Here's the question - shouldn't the spout of water coming out of the sea cock be as high as the waterline?
Only 1 1/2 inch above the hose nipple was coming out. The top of the hose nipple is approx. 10 inches below the waterline. I thought the water spout would be 10 inches.

With no frictional loss, yes, but that never happens. Have you had a diver clean the intake grate on that thru hull lately?

Most of these systems are way way oversized and will function with a lot of blockage... Going from seeping to 1.5" may indeed be your solve.

Gusher guessing; follow up 26 Sep 2017 04:32 #3

• The Other Gary
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 130
Pick up a small triangular paint scraper or shave hook, throw on your tank and get under the boat and use the sharp points to ream out the accumulated paint on the openings.
You should be fine. You would be amazed at how quickly several coats of bottom paint can close up a small opening.

"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Gusher guessing; follow up 26 Sep 2017 13:58 #4

• scubadiver#3988
  • scubadiver#3988's Avatar Topic Author
  • 1997 #3988
  • Thank you received: 1
I almost bought an underwater drill to ream out the holes but the cost is close to haul out.

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds