• Page:

TOPIC: Shore Power Cables

Shore Power Cables 19 Sep 2017 20:57 #1

• MerlinV
  • MerlinV's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80
Does anyone have a solution to cleaning up shore power cables that are really dirty? Our 50A cable looks like hell, and the yellow cover has faded for the first 25-30 feet, (the most used) and it has also become tacky, so it marks the gelcoat anywhere that it touches. The marks require either cut polishing or a wipe with Acetone to remove, but either way it's a real nuisance, particularly on the non-skid. I have tried most of the usual cleaners, including the Marinco shore cable cleaner, none of which did the trick.

As we have a Glendinning Cablemaster with about 75 feet of 50A cable, with a bonded male plug at one end, and a direct connection at the other, I'd rather not just throw this away and purchase all new cable if there was some way of getting it clean, and stabilizing the outer surface finish - any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rob
Bayliner 5788
'Merlin V'
Vancouver BC

Shore Power Cables 19 Sep 2017 21:02 #2

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 358
Some type of cleaning solution or solvent has contaminated the cable surface, it is hard to remove as it penetrated the surface of the jacket.
Contact some company like Marinco to see if there is a solution to cleaning that cable.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Shore Power Cables 19 Sep 2017 21:14 #3

• Bay39
  • Poulsbo, WA
  • Thank you received: 16
First thing I did when I bought the boat was to purchase a brand new set of cables and Y-adapters (Marinco) - WHITE. These white cables blend in with the boat so well you hardly notice them. The yellow seems to fade faster and get black marks quicker. As far as cleaning them I use Seapower brand cleaner wax. Acetone will clean them but they remove the protective coating on the outer sleeves. I still kept the yellow cable for haul out and shipyard use or as an emergency. Marinco has also come out with a gray color if you want to go that route.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

MY 3988
M/V MMPOWRD
Poulsbo, WA

Shore Power Cables 19 Sep 2017 21:17 #4

• smitty477
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 966

MerlinV wrote: Does anyone have a solution to cleaning up shore power cables that are really dirty? Our 50A cable looks like hell, and the yellow cover has faded for the first 25-30 feet, (the most used) and it has also become tacky, so it marks the gelcoat anywhere that it touches. The marks require either cut polishing or a wipe with Acetone to remove, but either way it's a real nuisance, particularly on the non-skid. I have tried most of the usual cleaners, including the Marinco shore cable cleaner, none of which did the trick.

As we have a Glendinning Cablemaster with about 75 feet of 50A cable, with a bonded male plug at one end, and a direct connection at the other, I'd rather not just throw this away and purchase all new cable if there was some way of getting it clean, and stabilizing the outer surface finish - any ideas?

Although I have not done it myself I have had a a couple of friends paint their cables with spray paint specifically designed for plastics and flexible materials.
They located the plastic/vinyl paint in the 'safety' yellow color which was a very close match to the in-faded parts of their cables.

FWIW - when we had to replace our 50/250 cable we went with a black cover mining cable which did not fade ,discolor, stain or fail in any way over about 10 years up till we sold the boat.

Northport NY

Shore Power Cables 21 Sep 2017 11:52 #5

• Sunbird
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 23
I have had pretty good luck cleaning cables up with lacquer thinner. After I get them clean I coat them with armor all or 303 protectant. This restores the shine and they look very good.

Gibraltar, Mi.
1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
34' Tollycraft- sold
88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Shore Power Cables 21 Sep 2017 15:23 #6

• businessgetmoney
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 18
Dont they make a fabric sleeve for them?

1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
Michigan

Shore Power Cables 21 Sep 2017 19:22 #7

• SuperiorDiver
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 81
We had good luck with Goo Gone. Works on the fiberglass for the yellow marks from the cord, too.

Shore Power Cables 22 Sep 2017 01:45 #8

• Timcup
  • Thank you received: 10
Acetone also works well. Then 303 to protect.

Craig
Nanaimo bc
1987 bayliner 3818
w/ 175 Hinos no Genny, but solar to run everything!
10ft Livingston with centre console and 15hp on davits / winch

Shore Power Cables 22 Sep 2017 05:57 #9

• igiftmon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 61
Hey Rob,

I have the same issue and was thinking of cleaning the cable jacket with a solvent or some sort, but then as I thought about it, I decided against it due to fear of residual fumes. If the cable was stored differently I wouldn't be as concerned. But with the enclosed auto-reel system that we have, the circuit breakers located just above the storage area of the cable and given the jacket's substrate's potential of retaining solvents, it is possible to create a fire hazard if one of the breakers of any of the connections corroded and/or got hot for some reason. This happened to me and I realized if I had many fumes it couldve caused an issue. I'm not trying to be a Henry Penny, just figure better safe than sorry.. This issue is something that we try to be aware of in aerospace applications, as many substrates, from vinyls to polychloroprenes, can absorb and retain certain solvent chemistries,

Instead of replacing the cable, I've decided to install a heat shrinkable cross-radiated polyolefin sleeve the entire length of my cable. You can order this material in large rolls. It is a military spec'ed material (m23053/X) that is used often for cable assembly jackets. It is available in many colors and is double oversized so it shrinks down about to half its size. There is a size that shrinks twice that, but I don't suggest it as the a jacket wall can be thinner.

I get marring on my deck walls from the rubbing of the cable when I'm hooking up th epower. As such, I believe installing polyolefin will cure that ,as well.

I haven't installed it yet as I have to remove the connector to slide th material on and haven't had time, but hope to do it soon. It should hold up fairly well.

I hope this helps,
BJ

Shore Power Cables 22 Sep 2017 06:07 #10

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 358
Some fine grained cleanser on a wet rag and rub well until clean, then rinse well.
When dry use some type of protectant coating, such as armor all.
Do not use a solvent.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor
Last Edit: by boatworkfl.

Shore Power Cables 22 Sep 2017 13:35 #11

• Woodsea
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Salt Lake City
  • Thank you received: 92
The cables that came with our boat were pretty grimy. The ends are in good shape. They are the ones that I leave on our home dock semipermanently. They run down the dock on the S side. They are supported by vinyl strap from the rail. That reduces the strain on the boat connection and helps keep the dirty cords from touching the boat. They are really grimy now after three years. I just turn off power, unhook the boat end and go. I bought another set that gets stored in S locker on deck. That is what I use when we travel and drag around the boat.

2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
MV Kia Orana
Currently Alameda CA

Shore Power Cables 22 Sep 2017 23:52 #12

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381
GelGloss works well to clean fenders and power cords. It is a fiberglass cleaner/wax. Avail in lots of different stores. Also same as Sea Power in marine stores.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Shore Power Cables 23 Sep 2017 22:09 #13

• guntar
  • Thank you received: 9
Mermaid brand inflatable boat cleaner. They will look like new when done.

Guntar
1999 3988
Cummins 270s
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds