Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3988 bowsprit

3988 bowsprit 16 Sep 2017 23:08 #1

• sfladgard
  • sfladgard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Successfully performed "pulpitectomy" last week on my 3988. A couple of notes:
1) got lucky and did not find 5200 under the bowsprit, just sealant and all was dry inside so the removal was minutes instead of hours. FWIW this boat was build in Valdosta.
2) Guy at Railmakers Northwest is the best, would not hesitate to recommend him if you take this project on. At his suggestion I will be riveting the new rail piece instead of drill/tap
3) Windline brm3 anchor roller fits perfectly with 44# delta plow, the manufacturer only listst up to 35#
4) I have a bowsprit in good condition if anyone is looking for one...

Thanks to all who posted on their surgical removal of same; it was of great help when preparing for the project.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3988 bowsprit 17 Sep 2017 03:17 #2

• Ahaua
  • Thank you received: 11
I removed the bowsprit off of my 3988 some time ago, have patched things up with epoxy, purchased a 44 lb. Bruce type anchor and brm3 anchor roller. I've made up a template bowsprit out of wood and am still debating on which material to use for the final pulpit. My initial thought was Starboard, but I'm considering using 1/4" polished stainless instead. In regards to the bow rail, another 3988 on my dock also performed the "pulpitectomy" and had a section of stainless rail welded on by a skillfull stainless guy: you can hardly see any seams and it looks great.....I'll probably do the same.

My question is, what material are you using for the actual pulpit? Pictures?? Ideas??

Alex
Orange County, Ca.
2001 3988
Twin Cummins 330's

3988 bowsprit 17 Sep 2017 09:20 #3

• Cap_Fury
  • Thank you received: 7
Just curious...why are you cutting off you pulpits? Are you trying to fit into a smaller slip?

Greg
1999 Bayliner 3988
Twin Cummins 6BTA 270hp
Malaspina Strait, BC
Last Edit: by Cap_Fury.

3988 bowsprit 17 Sep 2017 17:43 #4

• sfladgard
  • sfladgard's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
To my eye the bowsprit makes the boat look dated. It is out of proportion to the rest of the boat and really serves no useful purpose. I have also experienced a lot of chain jumping at the gypsy when the rode wags back and forth in the 3-4 ft of span between the roller and the winch. Dockside testing has shown a big improvement in this, field testing will be next week.

And finally, I now have the option of either a smaller slip or keeping the one I have and tying my skiff across the transom while staying within the bounds of the lease.

3988 bowsprit 17 Sep 2017 19:04 #5

• Ahaua
I also prefer the look of the boat without the long nose. With that said, a big factor was also the ability to go into a 40 foot slip vs. 45 foot; a savings of about $125/month.

Alex
Orange County, Ca.
2001 3988
Twin Cummins 330's

3988 bowsprit 17 Sep 2017 21:26 #6

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 606
Out of curiosity, what is the LOA of a 39 without the anchor platform?

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

3988 bowsprit 18 Sep 2017 17:01 #7

• Ahaua
Norton,
my 39 measured in at 42'3" without the original bowsprit. Once my modification is completed, I figure I'll be adding between 1' to 1 1/2'.

Alex
Orange County, Ca.
2001 3988
Twin Cummins 330's

3988 bowsprit 18 Sep 2017 17:42 #8

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 606

Ahaua wrote: Norton,
my 39 measured in at 42'3" without the original bowsprit. Once my modification is completed, I figure I'll be adding between 1' to 1 1/2'.

Thanks for the info. That will make the final LOA just a few inches longer than my 3788. I ask because I have a buddy in my marina with a 3988. He owns a slip like mine: 45' LOA max. In order to meet the LOA requirement he has to remove the tender that he carries on a Weaver Leaver Davit and store it on a trailer. Removing the pulpit should allow him to keep the tender on the davit while the boat is in the slip.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds