into our hardwired internet. Could we have gotten
away with a Wilson Omnidirectional Antenna and
Signal Booster instead? The stupid "signal booster"
that Verizon sold us doesn't work all that well and it
cost us $250 US.

Lately I've been saying, "Someday, it won't be about
the technology. Things will just work." I'm not so
sure about that, though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1994 2859 in Tacoma, WA
7.4 Mercruiser
Still learning about other systems
and specs.

WIFI antenna 13 Sep 2017 23:07 #27

• TenMile
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 215

Mr. Darcy wrote: Ice Climber wrote: "I think I need to buy stock in something because the only way to achieve that distance is microwave. Otherwise you have some sort of revolutionary technology on your hands, or your marina has the worlds most powerful wifi. Standard wifi is 300 feet outdoors, max. No disrespect intended Captain. "

I read this and curiosity has gotten the best of me. What authoritative test data is this statement based on?

It's the standard. The "authoritative test" is the law of physics. Given the frequencies (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz), transmit power (1W max) and antenna gains for typical AP's reliable distance is typically 300ft. In some circumstances will you get longer distances -- yes, absolutely! However, there is no free lunch. Unless you are doing some unusual things with directional antennas or high gain omni's (at both ends -- particularly the marina end) achieving reliable distances beyond the spec is a pipedream.

Here is some decent reading. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi -- talks about all the items above.

This is also a decent calculator where you can input the frequency, distances, antennas etc... and it will tell you the estimated signal strength: www.radiolabs.com/stations/wifi_calc.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. Darcy

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

WIFI antenna 13 Sep 2017 23:14 #28

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 115

jongleur wrote: We don't get good phone signal in our own house
in the middle of Morro Bay, CA, 1/2 mile from a
main highway. Verizon sold us a "signal booster"
but it has to plug into our modem, which is plugged
into our hardwired internet. Could we have gotten
away with a Wilson Omnidirectional Antenna and
Signal Booster instead? The stupid "signal booster"
that Verizon sold us doesn't work all that well and it
cost us $250 US.

Lately I've been saying, "Someday, it won't be about
the technology. Things will just work." I'm not so
sure about that, though.

I hear you, I have one Verizon booster at home and one on my boat. I took a wifi extender, joined it to my marina's wifi and then joined the cell extender. It works perfectly as long as the crappy marina wifi is working. I had no cell phone coverage in the Marina prior. As far as an antenna, I rigged up a 900 MHZ antenna and 12v booster for my trailer and it does about nothing. You have to part with some serious coin to get a proper cell booster.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jongleur

Last Edit: by iceclimber.

WIFI antenna 14 Sep 2017 00:02 #29

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 115

Mr. Darcy wrote: Ice Climber wrote: "I think I need to buy stock in something because the only way to achieve that distance is microwave. Otherwise you have some sort of revolutionary technology on your hands, or your marina has the worlds most powerful wifi. Standard wifi is 300 feet outdoors, max. No disrespect intended Captain. "

I read this and curiosity has gotten the best of me. What authoritative test data is this statement based on?

www.radiolabs.com/stations/wifi_calc.html

You are welcome to calculate your own test data. Or, talk to anyone in the industry that deploys wifi. I am curious too, how literally any topic can hit any internet forum and suddenly physics can be suspended. There is no way to pick up 802.11n at the distances being talked about. It's impossible. Otherwise the world would be using these magical antennas and covering the globe with internet.
Error correction, that is the key to covering distance. People (very smart ones) have been trying to crack this problem forever, and to this day, site to site microwave is still used. You still need line of sight and when people talk about "directional wifi antennas" I am like huh ? A marina has a directional wifi antenna that you have line of sight to from 5 miles ? I don't think so.
Cellular, different story and probably the best option for those beyond 100 meters from a wifi source. Some of these magic systems are not using magic, they combine a N band repeater with 2/3/4G cellular.
www.boatingmag.com/boatinglab-test-wifi-range-extenders

Last Edit: by iceclimber.

WIFI antenna 14 Sep 2017 00:43 #30

• Mr. Darcy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Love to fish for tuna
  • Thank you received: 168

TenMile wrote:

It's the standard. The "authoritative test" is the law of physics. Given the frequencies (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz), transmit power (1W max) and antenna gains for typical AP's reliable distance is typically 300ft. In some circumstances will you get longer distances -- yes, absolutely! However, there is no free lunch. Unless you are doing some unusual things with directional antennas or high gain omni's (at both ends -- particularly the marina end) achieving reliable distances beyond the spec is a pipedream.

Here is some decent reading. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-range_Wi-Fi -- talks about all the items above.

This is also a decent calculator where you can input the frequency, distances, antennas etc... and it will tell you the estimated signal strength: www.radiolabs.com/stations/wifi_calc.html

Well, I am glad I got curious. Now I know. Thanks. So as was stated there is some variation, otherwise my laptop is too far to pick up a reliable signal. That may explain why sometimes "out of the blue" the wifi disappears and then comes back a couple of seconds later.

Greg

Newport, Oregon
South Beach Marina
1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years....
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds