• Page:

TOPIC: SoCal to the Caribbean

SoCal to the Caribbean 31 Aug 2017 02:39 #1

• Jim Gandee
  • Jim Gandee's Avatar Topic Author
  • Retired Fireman, Los Angeles
  • Thank you received: 178
Crew,

My buddy and I are in the initial planning phase of cruising his Bayliner 5788 from SoCal to Florida via the Caribbean chain beginning November 2018. So many questions! Has anyone here ever done it?

Route- obviously south past Baja Ca. Then along the mainland Mexico coast south to the canal. After the canal the question then becomes North to Cancun east to Cuba and on into the Bahamas. Or, after the canal head west along the north coast of S. America and into Aruba, Grenada and on up through the Caribbean island chain to Cuba then Fla.

Medical needs and prep. Shots?

How to clear customs in countries we plan to stop at, pass or decide to put into? Distance offshore?

Weapons?

Charting?

Weather/sea info and forecast?

Com- VHF, SSB, Sat phone, other?

Pirates?

Canal procedures?

There's so much to plan and prepare for. The above is just a start but hopefully will generate conversation and discussion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

SoCal to the Caribbean 31 Aug 2017 03:00 #2

• aluxury1
  • Thank you received: 22
You will miss the Superbowl.......

Brett
2001 Ciera 2858 EC
2007 Mercruiser D'Tronic 250
Sane people, tossing good money into a hole in the water!

SoCal to the Caribbean 31 Aug 2017 03:04 #3

• canoel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 670
This sounds like a grand adventure Jim.
The admiral and I would like to do this very trip when we retire.
I am interested to hear how it goes, and what others may say that have done it.

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

SoCal to the Caribbean 31 Aug 2017 03:09 #4

• The Other Gary
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 128
No guns if you land in Mexico period. Bahamas and Cuba are OK but may be sealed while in Cuba.

"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

SoCal to the Caribbean 31 Aug 2017 05:03 #5

• simbad
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 19
Sounds amazing. I would love to do that trip too maybe from Seattle though. I think I will one day but finding the time is hard.
Is the boat equipped with air conditioning? I would think that would be a major consideration for me in the humidity and heat.
You should check out the YouTube video from flemming yachts. The title is alaska to Nova Scotia. It has some good detail on a big part of that trip including the Panama Canal and locking details. Seems easy enough. It's an amazing watch.

Look forward to hearing about the plan as it unfolds.

BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

SoCal to the Caribbean 31 Aug 2017 12:19 #6

• Up the Creek
  • Thank you received: 6
Here is a link to the Tony Fleming video mentioned above.

SoCal to the Caribbean 31 Aug 2017 17:00 #7

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 606
Look for Passagemaker Magazine Back Issues. Over the years I've read articles of at least a couple of boats that have done it. In one case at least it was done from the Caribbean to California.

There's one area that is supposed to be quite treacherous, with high winds and waves forming quickly. I forget the name of the area but it is the gulf that runs roughly from Santa Maria de Huatulco to Tapacula in Mexico. Apparently a lot of weather planning is required to cross at the right time.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

SoCal to the Caribbean 31 Aug 2017 17:51 #8

• Jim Gandee
Thanks for all of the info thus far!

Norton, I think you're referring to the Gulf of Tehauntepec. Will look into that. I've been in 10 footers between Ensenada and Cedros Island but fortunately that was a following sea so not so bad.

Creek, thanks for the vid link!

Simbad, the boat is actually in Portland so I suppose that's the official starting point. And yes, the boat has three A/C units on board! :)

Gary, been in Mexico, no one searched the boat. We'd feel a whole lot better if we had some protection. Jury's still out.

Canoel, need to look into internet connection to maintain a blog or at the very least keep the BOC updated with progress reports!

Luxury, the Super Bowl commercials are over rated! :).

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

SoCal to the Caribbean 31 Aug 2017 21:12 #9

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 606

Jim Gandee wrote:
Norton, I think you're referring to the Gulf of Tehauntepec. Will look into that. I've been in 10 footers between Ensenada and Cedros Island but fortunately that was a following sea so not so bad.

That's it! www.boatus.com/cruising/feelfree/previousarticle.asp?bid=3398

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

SoCal to the Caribbean 01 Sep 2017 00:49 #10

• Opu
  • Thank you received: 5
Regarding firearms in Mexico: Don't do it! If the authorities find firearms or ammunition on your boat or your person. you will spend far more time in jail than you might imagine. You are presumed guilty without a trial, although you may be tried with an inevitable guilty verdict. You will also likely lose your boat.

Have I convinced you yet?

Dick
Cheers
Oceanside
1987 3218 w/ 150 Hinos

SoCal to the Caribbean 01 Sep 2017 02:12 #11

• WhiteRockMike
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 46

Jim Gandee wrote: Thanks for all of the info thus far!

Norton, I think you're referring to the Gulf of Tehauntepec. Will look into that. I've been in 10 footers between Ensenada and Cedros Island but fortunately that was a following sea so not so bad

The offshore winds in this area that roar down from the mountains are known as Tehauntepeckers

Mike
"Allante" Rayburn 75
Previous: '97 4788

SoCal to the Caribbean 01 Sep 2017 15:14 #12

• Jim Gandee

The offshore winds in this area that roar down from the mountains are known as Tehauntepeckers

Researched those winds and the cause. Will be on the look out in that area. Many suggest a close shore routing to remain in protected waters. The blow boaters seem to be the most affected transiting this area.

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape

SoCal to the Caribbean 01 Sep 2017 16:47 #13

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

Jim Gandee wrote:

Researched those winds and the cause. Will be on the look out in that area. Many suggest a close shore routing to remain in protected waters. The blow boaters seem to be the most affected transiting this area.

Did a delivery of a 43' Morgan from Panama to Hawaii in 1997. Though you are going the other way, I have first hand experience with the Force 10 Tehauntepec winds. Since we had sails to stabilize the boat while facing those winds and seas, it was passable. However, if we could have avoided it, we would have. I cannot imagine doing it in a motor vessel. The time of year will be an important factor.

Before we left, we met a 55' sailboat anchored in Balboa that had made the pass a few times. They said, "If Papagayos is blowing, Tehauntepecers - what they called the Tehuano wind - will be treacherous." Our passage was in mid November, and they were right. 35-40' seas, and a ESE to SSE wind in the 50's.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papagayo_Jet#/medi...the_Papagayo_Jet.png

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

SoCal to the Caribbean 02 Sep 2017 15:30 #14

• Simonsen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 115
As someone who knows a thing or two about firearms I would NOT bring any weapon of any kind into Mexico. There's a lot of problems now in Mexico between the gangs and the issues at some of the major resorts. IF searched and you should always plan for the worst and hope for the best but if found you'd be hoping for an awful lot!

Are there any other weapons that could be considered non lethal like a spear gun? As long as you have dive gear on the boat then the spear gun would be fitting.

Sounds like one heck of a trip though and hopefully you're able to either blog about it to keep us posted here. Seems like all the fun places have treacherous passages to get through before the fun (Gulf of Alaska, Queen Charlotte Sound, this windy place you're talking about etc. etc...). Having that boat in the Caribbean would be super fun though! I don't think I'd try that voyage in my ole' 4788 so I'll live vicariously through you.

Family Boater
1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
(past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

SoCal to the Caribbean 02 Sep 2017 18:01 #15

• knuckledragger
  • Thank you received: 8
Personally I would rather just pay a Mexican cop some cash if need be than be caught in a situation without a firearm. Also, I suggest buying some fuel bladders. Going through customs everytime you want to fill up would be a major hassle.

SoCal to the Caribbean 05 Sep 2017 04:21 #16

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 115
Weapons talk and "bribing mexican officials" is plain stupid. Don't.

SoCal to the Caribbean 05 Sep 2017 15:21 #17

• Jim Gandee

Going through customs everytime you want to fill up would be a major hassle.

This raises the question of must one actually stop in each country to clear customs? Some countries don't have many miles of coastline and easily bypassed. If bypassed I wonder if there's a minimum offshore distance one must maintain?

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape

SoCal to the Caribbean 05 Sep 2017 15:38 #18

• ksanders
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 231

Jim Gandee wrote:

Going through customs everytime you want to fill up would be a major hassle.

This raises the question of must one actually stop in each country to clear customs? Some countries don't have many miles of coastline and easily bypassed. If bypassed I wonder if there's a minimum offshore distance one must maintain?

Of course you can bypass a country. The distance off shore would be whatever that country claims as their territorial waters. Remember it's their Navy what would be boarding you, so it's their territorial claim that you need to be aware of.

Avoiding Nicaragua and Honduras might be preferable, if the boat has the capability.

The challenge is fuel stops in a 5788. I'm not familiar with the range of the 5788 so that would be a starting point.

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

SoCal to the Caribbean 05 Sep 2017 16:32 #19

• Sportscar
  • Thank you received: 8
The other thing to be aware of is the fuel they sell. I follow a blog of someone in a 42' Kady Krogen making their way down South America and then heading across the Caribbean to Puerto Rico. They spent a lot of time calculating their trip across and measuring their fuel because they did not want fuel in Columbia because it was biodiesel and they were afraid of possible having it "clean" their tanks and clog their filters. According to them all marine diesel in Columbia is biofuel. Plot your usage and calculate your fuel stops and check ahead if this matters to you.

SoCal to the Caribbean 06 Sep 2017 00:40 #20

• Opu
  • Thank you received: 5
You don't have that much cash. The Mexicans have absolutely no sense of humor when it comes to firearms.

Dick
Cheers
Oceanside
1987 3218 w/ 150 Hinos

SoCal to the Caribbean 09 Sep 2017 21:50 #21

• Checks Five-Oh
  • Thank you received: 4
A good read for you would be "The Big U". Passage-maker from Alaska to Labrador.

SoCal to the Caribbean 10 Sep 2017 06:49 #22

• Jim Gandee

A good read for you would be "The Big U". Passage-maker from Alaska to Labrador.

Already ordered! Thank you.

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape

SoCal to the Caribbean 10 Sep 2017 11:53 #23

• kev_rm
  • 1987 3870 Hino 175's
  • Thank you received: 31

Checks Five-Oh wrote: A good read for you would be "The Big U". Passage-maker from Alaska to Labrador.

I've been reading this myself, it definitely provides some insight to the trip, although their boat is arguably a little more capable. :O

SoCal to the Caribbean 10 Sep 2017 16:16 #24

• Jim Gandee
Kev,
I understand you're looking at making the "Big U" east to west. What's your timing and planned routing? I'd like to exchange info with you if practical.

Thanks

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape

SoCal to the Caribbean 11 Sep 2017 15:42 #25

• kev_rm
  • 1987 3870 Hino 175's
  • Thank you received: 31

Jim Gandee wrote: Kev,
I understand you're looking at making the "Big U" east to west. What's your timing and planned routing? I'd like to exchange info with you if practical.

Thanks

Some flux now as have a job opportunity but if that doesn't happen (probably 50/50) then I'll be departing Savannah in November, skipping leeward islands (key west to cuba to cancun) then down from there.

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds