Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Closer to buying 38xx...but...

Closer to buying 38xx...but... 15 Sep 2017 18:58 #26

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592

I've developed an opinion that most anything else doesn't really matter (except for the offer) but the Hino engines are a real big issue. The boats I have looked at (and have read listings on others) seem to have the 175HP engines with around 1300-1700 hours. Given their age of 25-30 years old, that doesn't seem like a lot at around 50hrs per season

My Hino's are 30 years old. They have less than 2000 hours. They don't burn a drop of oil and start on the first turn.
In the 12 seasons I have owned the boat I have rebuild one engine water pump. The only thing that has failed in this time.
I have and do now own (10 at the present time) a lot of diesel engines. I would pick a Hino over any of them. We hear of diesel failures in boats but I can't think of one with Hino's. I am sure it happens but its rare.
Good luck with your purchase. I think you will love a 38xx as we do.
Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Closer to buying 38xx...but... 16 Sep 2017 03:58 #27

• Cool Beans
  • Thank you received: 28

Nickp wrote: My concern is the maintenance items that might hit me big time after purchase...specifically, elbows and manifolds (manicoolers?).

Last time I talked to Earl, he had new manifold castings for like $4600. Not cheap, but cheaper then any Perkins with it's 3 in 1 manicooler that NOBODY is recasting. I feel bad for those folks....one guy I know on trawler forum happened to find a NOS manicooler for a perkins 200hp in Europe and had it shipped over. Be glad you will never have to open your wallet for that :whistle:

On the other hand, all those things you are worried about are expensive to varying degrees on any brand of diesel engine that is 30 years old and out of production. And if you had a new Cummins engines, they wouldn't be AS expensive but I'd choke still if i had to pony up the money to replace coolers.

It's not so much the brand of boat, I think, but the fact you are looking at 30+ year old boats in the 40 foot range...they are expensive, with there own problems, lol. You can't win that one...

I eventually came to this realization after looking at 50+ old boats and don't regret my decision...other then not buying a 4588!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

. . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds