Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser?

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 15 Aug 2017 02:35 #1

• Tincupchalice
  • Tincupchalice's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey all.
Wednesday I pick up my new to me 3055. I've had bow riders for years with my current boat a 23 foot jet boat. So, what do you wish you had known before you made the jump to "bigger boating"? Can be anything. Systems, manuvering, maintenance, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 Bayliner 3055
Last Edit: by Tincupchalice.

What do you wish you knew before buying you cruiser? 15 Aug 2017 03:42 #2

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
How much more money and work a only slightly larger boat is.

A run about takes a few hours to clean. A 30 foot will easily take you all weekend. 2 or 3 times the polish and wax. No longer doable by hand. You will need polisher and such.

The systems water holding tanks and gauges take A lot of money to maintain properly and if not familiar you will need.to learn or pay someone to do it...

The fun and enjoyment is however exponentially greater. I wouldnt go back for anything
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tincupchalice

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

What do you wish you knew before buying you cruiser? 15 Aug 2017 04:47 #3

• guntar
  • Thank you received: 9
Expect to spend 30 percent of purchase price, the first year, just to fix things the prior owner neglected to and other findings, and then 10 to 15 percent each year after maintaining and upkeep. If only I knew the whole breadth of the cost I would incur I may have thought twice about the current boat I bought 6 months ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JC3, Tincupchalice

Guntar
1999 3988
Cummins 270s

What do you wish you knew before buying you cruiser? 15 Aug 2017 05:51 #4

• Centerline2
  • Thank you received: 38
Ive had boats all my life so I knew going into the purchase of a larger boat that the cost would go up immensely, such as moorage fees, maintenance costs, and the many upgrades you will feel you must make to the boat, but I didnt know just how much... and then there's the time it takes to care for the boat properly....
this has already been said, but the first year and a half you will spend much more on the boat than you could have ever imagined, and all this without it ever leaving the dock.
when you do leave the dock with it, the fuel expense will be the limiting factor in how far you can go with it.
also, a small boat owner doesnt have to carry insurance on their trailered boats (unless it is financed) but insurance is a requirement if you are going to rent a slip to keep it in., and it can be expensive on larger and better outfitted boats.

the biggest downside to owning a larger boat that cant be readily trailered is that you may get tired of boating in the same place all the time.... as we live in the western united states, we can easily pull a trailer boat across the country to lake powell, lake tahoe, lake coeur d'alene, lake pend oreille, lake mead, or any other lake, port or bay that catches our interest... there are SO many interesting places places to go with a smaller cruiser that isnt available to the large boat owner, without some unreasonable time and expense

we jumped from a 25 fishing type boat to a comfortable 34footer.... now, 4 years later we have downsized to a 25ft cruiser, and have a very nice and well outfitted 34' yacht for sale. not because we cant afford the 34 but because we cant travel far and wide to the other exotic places that we want to go to..... AND, the larger boat couldnt be brought home to do repairs and modifications on....
we all have to live our dream, so I can only wish you the best with your bigger boat... we lived our dream and found a bigger boat wasnt for us, so its onto another dream now with a smaller boat again.... :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jbneufeld, Tincupchalice

1989 Bayliner 2556, 5.7 OMC Cobra
Last Edit: by Centerline2.

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 15 Aug 2017 16:04 #5

• nwboater62
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 78
It all adds up quickly. Bigger boat...2 engines and drives to maintain...bigger slip...Bigger truck...more trailer to maintain...more tanks...I could do this all day. But.....once out on the water..........it's all worth every bit of it!

Ted G
81 2555 Saratoga Sun Bridge
5.7 Volvo 290 DP OD

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 15 Aug 2017 16:25 #6

• SpinelessJFK
  • Away
  • New owner of a 3270, 2xHino 135
  • Thank you received: 1
Ive bought a bayliner 3270 andnhad before a 28foot finnish mada boat, only difference now in maintenance is amount of filters and so on at the moment,because i always change it when buy new boat so im sure its changed...
Upgrades i wanna do to boat is just for my own comfort and cant be measured in money because its for own comfort and its worth it!...
Then about winterizing isnt that much more because same crane lifts mine and same stands holds new biat, with few modification ofc which doesnt cost just time to me... Ofc theres two times of everything as oil and so on but thats just a little...
But hapoy sea times to everyone and money comes and money goes, depends just how you spend them but dont worry, be happy!!l

New owner of a 3270, 2xHino 135

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 15 Aug 2017 18:10 #7

• Tincupchalice
Thanks, everyone. As I've started thinking, it has occurred to me just how little I know about "bigger boating". I've been around boats all my life, but always smaller ones. The new systems are what has me a little overwhelmed to think about. Fresh water...does the tank drain into the bilge? How long is too long for it to be in the tank (I had an RV and would drain it after every trip). Do I need the same drinking water hose as an RV?

I'm extremely excited for the next chapter in our boating life. It's been a dream of mine since I was little. But as they say, you don't know what you don't know. I'm learning as I go!

1999 Bayliner 3055

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 15 Aug 2017 23:57 #8

• Knot Happy
  • Hmmmm
  • Thank you received: 28
One thing I wish I knew would be the winning lottery numbers. They might help offset some of the cost :woohoo: :P

4788 PH 2001, Cummins 370's
2355 C Express, 1996 5L
17ft Cobra, 1985, 125HP

I just need two more feet ;-)

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 16 Aug 2017 05:07 #9

• Centerline2
  • Thank you received: 38

Tincupchalice wrote: Thanks, everyone. As I've started thinking, it has occurred to me just how little I know about "bigger boating". I've been around boats all my life, but always smaller ones. The new systems are what has me a little overwhelmed to think about. Fresh water...does the tank drain into the bilge? How long is too long for it to be in the tank (I had an RV and would drain it after every trip). Do I need the same drinking water hose as an RV?

I'm extremely excited for the next chapter in our boating life. It's been a dream of mine since I was little. But as they say, you don't know what you don't know. I'm learning as I go!

the one thing that caught me off guard when moving from a smaller boat to a bigger, heavier boat, was the weight of it when docking.. at 11,000lbs, it took me a few times to get the feel for it when docking in adverse conditions, and the need to approach the dock at a much slower speed.
a small light boat can easily be horsed around with the motor and easily fended off the dock if you come in too hot or there is heavy wave action, or wind.. but a bigger boat is much heavier, wont stop as quick, cant be fended off like a little boat, has much more windage and will leave a bigger mark when hitting the dock... and if it has an inboard vs an outdrive, its not as manuverable.. so go at a snails pace on the approach until you get used to how the boat handles.

1989 Bayliner 2556, 5.7 OMC Cobra

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 16 Aug 2017 12:57 #10

• alanmoor
  • Thank you received: 5
Cost, definitely.

1985 Bayliner Ciera 2750
300HP Volvo Penta 5.7 with DP-A drive

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 16 Aug 2017 16:15 #11

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
If you look at the "How much did you spend on your boat last year" thread you will notice that for example when you jump up to around 30-32.foot twin engine boat the annual cost is near 10k$ a year depending on the boat ( not including gas). Probably more the first couple years if its been neglected.

That is a huge jump in cost considering the trallered ski size boat. One wouldn't think it goes ups so much but it does. There is just so much more to it. Moorage two engines to maintain water systems more electronics bigger canvas more area to care for and so on. It adds up quickly

In my area I have around $5000 into it before I even touch it. That's for moorage insurance and storage. I haven't maintained it yet at that price or used it.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 16 Aug 2017 16:26 #12

• mgm1986
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 34
I wish I knew how much fun it was, I would have bought mine sooner! We probably use our boat 50% as a shore house and 50% as a cruiser. I think that is the biggest difference I see when I look at folks with bow rider type boats. They always pack it in and leave at the end of the day while we are cracking a beer and relaxing for the evening.

Joel
South Jersey
1990 2556 - Cabin Fever (purchased 11/21/2015)
1968 Plymouth Fury III Convertible (My other boat!)
2001 Chevy S10 ZR2

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 16 Aug 2017 16:38 #13

• Dooglas
  • Thank you received: 7
I've owned everything from a 15 footer to a 37 at one time or another. Two things have jumped out to me. The first are the large increases in costs with an increase of a few feet in length - moorage, insurance, maintenance, repairs, upgrades - it really adds up. The second is the complexity of systems on larger boats. If you wish to do your own maintenance - or even just troubleshooting - you need to educate yourself quite a bit about electrical systems, battery banks, electronics, engines, cooling systems, marine heads, freshwater systems, windlasses, etc, etc. The commitments involved with owning a larger boat are substantial. The rewards can be substantial as well.

2005 Classic 242
5.7L Bravo 2
Portland, OR

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 16 Aug 2017 17:15 #14

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
congrats entering the 30 club!
twin engine/drive boat so X2 everything, fatter wallet for everything else :)

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 16 Aug 2017 20:56 #15

• Tincupchalice
Thanks! Great info. THe good news is, it's actually a little affirmation. I sat down with a spread sheet and estimated $1,000/month including the payment, slip, maintenance, and insurance. We'll see how close I get. So far, it seems like the previous owner maintained it quite well. There's really only a couple things I've found that I need to address. The big thing I'll tackle over the winter is a small leak in the lower unit. It "burps" a little oil when it goes in and out of gear, but not sitting still. Other than that, everything is very minor. One of the nav lights, a latch on the aft storage door, and some weather stripping around the door to cabin. After that, it will come down to customizing and personalizing her.

1999 Bayliner 3055

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 17 Aug 2017 01:27 #16

• HueyCrew
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Buy a boat, no more excuse to claim boredom.
  • Thank you received: 26
Other than totally agreeing with KnotHappy above, I regret I didn't start earlier. If ya like it, it calls to ya and there's still food on the table and light at the end of the tunnel, then enjoy it and remember that most of us have something we spend money on. Good plan don't rush to get her wet, I bought mine last July (2016) and should have her afloat by next year. Run it all summer. Off season let her be the excuse the leaves will have to wait, etc The more blood, sweat and tears, elbows, wrists, etc you can get in during that initial pre-launch," let the fun wear off" before everything's done period you'll have easier (and maybe even shorter) off seasons. Never stop looking for those little minor, "nit-noid" things to attend, pull a gage and restore the lens. Let the work in progress become an educating labor of love. Enjoy
Dave

Dave
N.C. Boater, fresh and salt water. New to boating in 2011
1990 Sunbridge 2655 "One Particular Harbour"
5.7 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 1
Past:
1995 SeaPro 210 C/C "Hydro-Therapy"
Mariner 150
Towing with:
2002 Ford F 350 7.3L Super Duty
West of Hickory NC

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 17 Aug 2017 01:51 #17

• Average Joe
  • Thank you received: 12
Don't let all the talk about excessive costs scare you away! If you are even a little bit mechanical and willing to do some work yourself rather than pay others, it isn't bad. Especially at the 30' range. I too have owned boats my whole life and currently own a 47. The admiral and I love this boat. I only wish I would have bought it sooner when my kids were still at home.

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 17 Aug 2017 03:04 #18

• Tincupchalice
You've got the boat that started this whole big boat dream for me! Love that layout!

1999 Bayliner 3055

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 17 Aug 2017 15:14 #19

• B95054
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 19
As another person who has boated all his life but just made the leap to a bigger boat last year. I agree with all the comments above.......HOWEVER despite the added costs and maintenance, we use this bigger boat wayyyy more than we ever used our bowriders, ski boats, jet skis, fishing boats....etc.
Waking up on a nice calm morning and having coffee while the seals are swimming next to you is addictive.
Yes there is added expense and a lot more maintenance but expect your boat usage to go up tenfold so it is all worthwhile in the end !

2002 2859 "Liquid Therapy"
Moored at Reed Point Marina in Port Moody BC

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 17 Aug 2017 20:15 #20

• Woodsong
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14
When we bought our first cruiser (a 32'express), the biggest surprise to me was that I hadn't just bought a boat- I bought a new lifestyle of sorts. From that point on, many, many, many of our family pictures and memories are us aboard...from there to our sedan we had, to our trawler we refit and loved, to our 45' these last 5+ years. At first I thought I just a had a new fun boat to play on. Grilling out our first night anchored out and watching that first sunset on the water and spending the night...it occurred to me that it was more than just a boat we had brought into our family dynamic. Our 2 children, now teens, have grown up on the water. Money comes and money goes but the time with my family on the water has made whatever costs of boating worth it as the returns and memories can't be replaced.

~~1987 Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse & 17' Boston Whaler Dauntless~~

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 18 Aug 2017 17:08 #21

• Johnny 5
Would like to have been able to see under water(since I bought it floating) got a few surprises when I drydocked it but I handled it, I was reasonably prepared for the cost of ownership of a larger boat. I Bought a '79 Conquest twin 350's with volvo legs, It was kind of a dual purpose buy since I needed a place to stay in Vancouver when I work in the area. When not working in the area or out of town I use it for cruising/fishing as time permits. It came with a f/g bimini which I want to remove, so the large top and radar arch will be a fair expense but will be worth it. The current top seem to catch quite a bit of wind and I think it's fairly heavy, I think a canvas top and an aluminum radar arch would be better suited to this type of boat.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

John, Laurie and official boat dogs Rosie and Peanut(Jose)
'79 Bayliner Conquest
twin 350's volvo 280's
Boston Bar BC/ Boat in Vancouver BC

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 18 Aug 2017 17:30 #22

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
Glad you want to remove :)

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 19 Aug 2017 03:31 #23

• kev_rm
  • 1987 3870 Hino 175's
  • Thank you received: 31
I've not had any real surprises beyond what my survey found... but if you buy an older boat (like mine) don't kid yourself on these 10 or 20% maintenance figures.

I will **EASILY** surpass my purchase price on upgrades and maintenance in the first 18-24 months just to get the boat where I need it, and the PO on my boat was super good.

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 20 Aug 2017 19:52 #24

• SprinterX
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Vancouver, BC
  • Thank you received: 94

Dooglas wrote: I've owned everything from a 15 footer to a 37 at one time or another. Two things have jumped out to me. The first are the large increases in costs with an increase of a few feet in length - moorage, insurance, maintenance, repairs, upgrades - it really adds up. The second is the complexity of systems on larger boats. If you wish to do your own maintenance - or even just troubleshooting - you need to educate yourself quite a bit about electrical systems, battery banks, electronics, engines, cooling systems, marine heads, freshwater systems, windlasses, etc, etc. The commitments involved with owning a larger boat are substantial. The rewards can be substantial as well.

Tincupchalice - Let me be the first to welcome you to the ownership of your new 3055. We bought ours 4 years ago and the wifey and I have been enjoying it with family, friends and extended trips exploring this great Pacific Northwest. This is my very first boat and while it's size may seem intimidating, it's maneuverability with its widely spaced engines is outstanding. As an aircraft mechanic by trade I am able to do the vast majority of work needed to keep her in great condition. The engine compartment is roomy and allows great access to service the engines. By comparison, my buddies SeaRay Amberjack 290 is a nightmare. The 3055 is a very user friendly boat for us DIY'ers.

Having a boat this size is a lot of work and while it can be tedious at times I enjoy it. I take pride in the many upgrades I've done, the way she looks, performs and the compliments she receives. She does burn the fuel with twin 5.7's, but not at all bad and better the many express cruisers of this size. I believe Bayliner truly hit the mark with this beamy little boat as it has tons of storage. We've done several 3+ week cruises with her and while it can seem cramped at times we're still enjoying the same scenery as those much bigger yachts.

As Dooglas stated above there are many systems to learn and understand so put the time in to study up if your not familiar. An RV is somewhat similar but there are many regulations governing the design, maintenance and operation you NEED to know and follow. You can and will get yourself into a world of hurt if you try to work around certain things.

There are many of us 3055/305 guys on here so feel free to ask away with any questions you have.
Be sure to add all the details of your boat into your sig so ppl will know what you have and will be better able to help out.

Sea Venture
2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
Cruising the PNW and beyond.
DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
MMSI 316029971

Kirk :)
Drinks well with others. ;)
Last Edit: by SprinterX.

What do you wish you knew before buying your cruiser? 20 Aug 2017 20:01 #25

• SprinterX
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Vancouver, BC
  • Thank you received: 94

Woodsong wrote: When we bought our first cruiser (a 32'express), the biggest surprise to me was that I hadn't just bought a boat- I bought a new lifestyle of sorts. From that point on, many, many, many of our family pictures and memories are us aboard...from there to our sedan we had, to our trawler we refit and loved, to our 45' these last 5+ years. At first I thought I just a had a new fun boat to play on. Grilling out our first night anchored out and watching that first sunset on the water and spending the night...it occurred to me that it was more than just a boat we had brought into our family dynamic. Our 2 children, now teens, have grown up on the water. Money comes and money goes but the time with my family on the water has made whatever costs of boating worth it as the returns and memories can't be replaced.

Well said.

Sea Venture
2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
Cruising the PNW and beyond.
DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
MMSI 316029971

Kirk :)
Drinks well with others. ;)
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds