Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 4788 Pilot House Helm Problem

4788 Pilot House Helm Problem 03 Aug 2017 13:23 #1

• kspellman02
  • kspellman02's Avatar Topic Author
  • Bayliner 4788, Leopard 40, Bayliner 3988
  • Thank you received: 3
Hello All - We just made a run yesterday and I was in the Pilothouse during some rain. I ran the Raymarine Auto Pilot for awhile then turned it back to standby so I could steer.....the Pilot House wheel just spun....no control whatsoever. The Pilot House Auto Helm still worked and I ran up to the flybridge and that wheel and autohelm worked fine....anyone experience this and what did you do to resolve it? No fluid leaking anywhere so it shouldn't be the hydraulic steering....and the pressure canister is just above 15lbs. I am perplexed.

TIA,
Kevin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We have No Plan and we're sticking to it...,

4788 Pilot House Helm Problem 03 Aug 2017 22:19 #2

• higgins_jr
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 355
Kevin, I think15 psi is on the light side. I'd kick it up to at least 30 and see if that fixes things. To do so, you need a small compressor vs a bike pump (can't get the screw on valve hose off fast enough to retain pressure). Check there is enough fluid of course as well.

Hope this assist. Cheers

John H
Brisbane QLD Aust
"Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

4788 Pilot House Helm Problem 06 Aug 2017 14:12 #3

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 958

kspellman02 wrote: Hello All - We just made a run yesterday and I was in the Pilothouse during some rain. I ran the Raymarine Auto Pilot for awhile then turned it back to standby so I could steer.....the Pilot House wheel just spun....no control whatsoever. The Pilot House Auto Helm still worked and I ran up to the flybridge and that wheel and autohelm worked fine....anyone experience this and what did you do to resolve it? No fluid leaking anywhere so it shouldn't be the hydraulic steering....and the pressure canister is just above 15lbs. I am perplexed.

TIA,
Kevin

Does the wheel spin with no stops after 8 plus turns? typically it will stop at about 7 turns lock to lock.
If the wheel will not stop after 7 turns and it is only one helm that has the issue than it is likely the seals between the helm pump pistons in that unit.
More details are needed to help pin this one down.

Northport NY

4788 Pilot House Helm Problem 06 Aug 2017 14:39 #4

• Norton Rider
  • Thank you received: 603

higgins_jr wrote: Kevin, I think15 psi is on the light side. I'd kick it up to at least 30 and see if that fixes things. To do so, you need a small compressor vs a bike pump (can't get the screw on valve hose off fast enough to retain pressure). Check there is enough fluid of course as well.

Hope this assist. Cheers

bY

I use a small handheld bike tire pump that clamps on to the valve stem. It works well.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA
Last Edit: by Norton Rider.

4788 Pilot House Helm Problem 06 Aug 2017 16:59 #5

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 958
This is a link to the rebuild process for your helm.
If the valve body seals fail they will allow the fluid to bypass the system an d just run through that helm station.
If you are too low on pressure the system will still work (extra effort) and hit hard 'stops' after 7 turns of the wheel or so.

www.local1259iaff.org/hydraulichelmrebuild.html

With one station working as well as the autopilot it appears to be a single helm issue.
Before doing anything try turning the power completely 'off' to the autopilot and cycle each helm fully top both stops and see what you get.

Northport NY

4788 Pilot House Helm Problem 06 Aug 2017 21:20 #6

• redskyjoe
  • Thank you received: 23
Sometimes the solution is the simplest but overlooked option. Have you checked to make sure the wheel is actually turning the helm shaft ? That it is not just spinning freely? That would be my first stop before digging in to helm pump itself.

4788 Pilot House Helm Problem 26 Sep 2017 00:43 #7

• kspellman02
  • kspellman02's Avatar Topic Author
  • Bayliner 4788, Leopard 40, Bayliner 3988
  • Thank you received: 3
So I checked Fluid and it was very low....filled up and pumped to 20psi and helm has come back.....will test again under load....I have checked and there is no leaking fluid from the lower helm so maybe I haven't worked all of the air out after upper helm replacement. Thanks All!

Kevin

We have No Plan and we're sticking to it...,

4788 Pilot House Helm Problem 26 Sep 2017 01:54 #8

• Woodsea
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Salt Lake City
  • Thank you received: 92
I recommend the bleeding the system of air. Hynautics has a procedure for both the steering and the engine controls.

2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
MV Kia Orana
Currently Alameda CA
Last Edit: by Woodsea.
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds