Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lofrans Tigres Windlass

Lofrans Tigres Windlass 01 Aug 2017 20:50 #1

• Smitten
  • Smitten's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Folks After much searching through many anchoring websites and BOC I finally decided on the type of anchor gear I wanted. I have a 3288 and the anchor locker is very small so I opted for 200 feet of 8 brait easily stacked rope and 80 feet of 5/16 G40 HT chain and a Rocna Vulcan 20 anchor. Hundreds of dollars later (maybe more!) imagine my surprise when I found out the Tigres would not pull the 8 brait rope and there were no gypsy's that I could buy that would pull both rope and chain. THEN I found out I probably shouldn't use G40 HT chain in the Tigres either so I'm batting 100%. Can someone tell me if there is a way around all this. Are people using G40 5/16 chain without any problems? At least that would cover 80 feet of my woes. How do folks transfer from the "rope" head on the left to the chain. I come from hydraulic anchor winches so I am completely in the dark here.
Thanks for any help or suggestions. Trying to keep my sense of humor going so I'll sign out as "Anchorless in Alaska" M/Y Smitten

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Lofrans Tigres Windlass 01 Aug 2017 22:41 #2

• ksanders
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 236
The Lofrans will not work with a combo rode.

The only way to do it is to use the capstan to bring in your line, then use a clevis hook on a short line to secure the chain, then switch to the chain gypsy.

I prefer to use a all chain rode, solves the problem.

The tigress is an exellent windlass, suited for a much larger load than you will ever lift.

If you really want to have a combo rode, and have it on one gypsy you'll have to downsize your windlass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smitten

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

Lofrans Tigres Windlass 02 Aug 2017 03:01 #3

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382
I had that exact windlass on my 32xx too. I had 125' of 5/16 chain then a very stiff rhode, probably 5/8, possibly 3/4. If I let out more than just the chain I would just pull by hand till I got to the chain, then used the windlass. And when it stopped working (foot switch corroded) it was all by hand. That's a good workout. I was going to go all chain but sold the boat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smitten

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds