• Thank you received: 2
How often do you refuel?

I generally burn almost the entire tank
and then fill up. I use Red Line diesel
fuel treatment.

Others have suggested that they refuel
often to keep the tanks near full.

Comments?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Refuel 30 Jul 2017 23:45 #2

• Uncle Bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 132
I run on half tanks so not paying to haul around an extra 1000 pounds. I use Pre-D as an additive.

1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Refuel 30 Jul 2017 23:52 #3

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 115
I keep about what I need in the tank, bleeding edge of empty unless I know I'm taking a long haul. Fresh gas is good gas. Also, I can measure in MPH how fuller tanks slow me down.
Besides, you store your money let the marina store the fuel. That is, instead of the other way around.
For storage, tanks should be empty or full is what people say, I say nonsense. Treat your fuel correctly, use filtration/separators and you will be fine. I had a friend that obsesses over this issue to the point that he paid to have a fuel polishing system installed. I told him he was nuts, the mechanic that did the work told him he was nuts. To date his fuel polishing system has found nothing. Yes, diesel in particular can have problems but if you burn it not store it, no problem.

Last Edit: by iceclimber.

Refuel 31 Jul 2017 00:19 #4

• ksanders
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 237
I keep the tanks pretty much full most of the time.
But my average trip is a bit over 200 NM, so all I'm doing is preparing for the next trip.

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

Refuel 31 Jul 2017 13:16 #5

• The Other Gary
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 131
We bring in a diesel truck about every 3 to 4 weeks at a price about a third less than the marinas so I fuel then and fill up.
Makes no sense not to.

"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Refuel 02 Aug 2017 05:34 #6

• igiftmon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 61
It depends on the time of year. But I seem to refuel every couple, three weeks during the summer and bimonthly during the winter, depending on the events (e.g. Christmas present cruises, etc).

During the summer I run to half full or so before I refuel. I carry 800 gallons. That is unless I'm running by Des Moines discount Monday's (which is always the cheapest around) . It saves an extra .10 a gallon... wooohoooo! When loading up 400-500 gallons, the extra discount pays for lunch... :) In the summer I don't worry about condensate in the tanks to cause issues with the fuel or even prematurely damage tech tanks themselves .

During the winter, I keep the tanks as full as I can. Yes, I treat my fuel at every fill up and have separators and filters galore on each engine and the generator, but I don't like to rely on them 100%, as I had an issue on a previous boat that appeared to be caused by moisture in the fuel tanks. I often cruise in the winter, so even then, I refuel often. The only problem I run into during the winter is making it to the fuel dock before they close due to thier winter hours...

I hope this helps,

~BJ
OMEGA

Refuel 02 Aug 2017 17:13 #7

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
I keep what I need 1/4 to half. (That's still 100 gallons) if I'm going on a long trip I fill. I don't store full either.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

Refuel 03 Aug 2017 01:56 #8

• Destiny 4588
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 72
We refuel at roughly 1/4 (measure at rest). My thinking is to burn up as much diesel as possible and always have enough to get somewhere in hurry if we need to. Also helps in our area as you get the commerical rate due to the volume 350+ galloon.

As a side note, We just are completing a hull extension which includes 2 fuel storage tanks and to at rest ballast tanks, to give us more range for longer trips. Just sharing as we plan to have those empty when doing short runs and filled up for longer runs (we will transfer fuel forward as soon as the main tanks can take it (each storage tank is 120 gallons).

Basically I feel it is not a time thing, it is a balancing the useful life of diesel even with treatment it does still age just do some googling and you find many articles on this.

Ps we use AXI additive and have had great luck with it for the last 10+ years (no algrae, no slucge or water at bottom of tanks and less smoke. (Also have Racor R900's and AXI magnets conditioners )
www.axi-international.com/solutions/fuel...iesel-fuel-additive/
www.axi-international.com/inline-magnetic-fuel-conditioners/

Mark
USCG OUPV
1990 4588
Carlsbad, CA

Refuel 03 Aug 2017 04:44 #9

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381

The Other Gary wrote: We bring in a diesel truck about every 3 to 4 weeks at a price about a third less than the marinas so I fuel then and fill up.
Makes no sense not to.

If any taxes are avoided is it legal?

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Refuel 03 Aug 2017 13:52 #10

• The Other Gary
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 131
We use the same supplier as the big dinner cruise boats in Toronto harbor as they are insured for marine delivery.
Our bay has no fuel pumps so we band together and do a volume order to get the same price as an independent gas station would pay
for a delivery of fuel.
Last fueling was .90 L while the street price was .99 to 1.02 per L and Marinas 7 to 15 miles away from us varied
from 1.22 to 1.56 per Litre. for 8 boats he delivered 15,000 litres so it is worth it to him as well. Diesel Only.
My part is small at 800 to 900 L but we have 5 boats in the 60 to 65 foot range that really take big amounts.
No taxes are avoided, we just buy smart and pay less. It is also good to know the fuel is fresh.

"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard
Last Edit: by The Other Gary.

Refuel 03 Aug 2017 23:16 #11

• kev_rm
  • 1987 3870 Hino 175's
  • Thank you received: 31
Generally try keep them full. Totally anecdotal but I believe empty space in the tank is directly proportional to condensation and oxygen for critters.

Refuel 03 Aug 2017 23:50 #12

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I believe that condensation is related to where you live for example. I have worked on several gas tanks from boats. Never see water in any of them I'm in pnw but Florida might be completely different

Twin chevy 350's

Refuel 04 Aug 2017 14:25 #13

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
On the topic of diesel and age, I had me a long talk with the guy that services huge Cat diesel generators. I asked him how does he keep the fuel right, as the tanks will sit there full for years and years unless there is a long burn on the generators. He said 1) fuel treatment 2) regular exercising of the generator, monthly or every two weeks 3) change filters. They pull samples from the bottom of the tank every six months. It is perfectly feasible to leave diesel lying around for years. Also he gives me free 8 D batteries. :)

Refuel 04 Aug 2017 15:01 #14

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I have a diesel ford that has been sitting for 3 years inside my shop. Finally been getting around to fix it. I drained the tank last week because I put new injectors in and didn't want to run old fuel through them.

I treated the diesel with stanadine diesel treatment before I stored it. Drained the diesel after 3 years and it was clear as new and zero algee

Treated fuel can last along time.

Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

Refuel 05 Aug 2017 00:30 #15

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

yachtman wrote: I have a diesel ford that has been sitting for 3 years inside my shop. Finally been getting around to fix it. I drained the tank last week because I put new injectors in and didn't want to run old fuel through them.

I treated the diesel with stanadine diesel treatment before I stored it. Drained the diesel after 3 years and it was clear as new and zero algee

Why are you working on that and not your boat(s).

Refuel 05 Aug 2017 00:48 #16

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

iceclimber wrote:

yachtman wrote: I have a diesel ford that has been sitting for 3 years inside my shop. Finally been getting around to fix it. I drained the tank last week because I put new injectors in and didn't want to run old fuel through them.

Why are you working on that and not your boat(s).

Lolol ......because now I have another car seat to have in the car and the mazda is a little small. I've been working on the boats too though.

Twin chevy 350's

Refuel 07 Aug 2017 06:01 #17

• jas0381
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 26
While I prefer full tanks, I couldn't bear the fuel costs in Canada, so I left them at 3/4. Probably won't do this again.

Everything that I have heard from my mechanics in California to British Columbia is as posted above: Standyne diesel treatment. I buy in bulk from Amazon.

Joe
2001 5288
Lucky Liner ll

Refuel 08 Aug 2017 04:48 #18

• jmcannonball
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 61
When running local (within 50-100 miles round trip) I usually run with 1/2 tank or less. No need to carry that extra 150 gallons/1000 pounds.

Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys[/B]
Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
MMSI: 338030604

Refuel 08 Aug 2017 14:05 #19

• Norton Rider
  • Thank you received: 622
My marina does not have fuel and the nearest fuel dock is 1.5 miles in the opposite direction from the direction we normally head to go cruising. Moreover, the fuel dock (Fido's at Cap Santee Marina) gives a discount for quantities over 100 gallons. As a result I fill the tanks completely when I refuel. This allows us to cruise in the San Juan Islands a number of times before I have to refuel again.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA
Last Edit: by Norton Rider.
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds