Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3988 Cummins 330hp

3988 Cummins 330hp 27 Jul 2017 00:06 #1

• Manzer74
  • Manzer74's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
hey gang,
we are shopping a 1998 3988 with cummins engines, 315/330 hp. question is this, the turbos have no paint, is this normal? both engines the same thing. they don't look terrible and the seller does not know anything as it was his fathers boat and he passed. i spoke to a old timer (this man knows a ton about all boats) and he said it is nothing to worry about... approx 850 hours

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to me 1998 bayliner 3988 Cummins 6bta 330hp
Last Edit: by Manzer74. Reason: spelling correction.

3988 Cummins 330hp 27 Jul 2017 00:37 #2

• point2
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi.
My turbo was originally painted and I needed to change the bearings on it. When I picked it up, all the paint was gone and down to the metal. Worked beautifully.
All it tells you is that the turbo was rebuilt.
Stephan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manzer74

Stephan
"Mahaiya" 4788
Vancouver, BC

3988 Cummins 330hp 27 Jul 2017 03:35 #3

• kwb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 87

point2 wrote: Hi.
My turbo was originally painted and I needed to change the bearings on it. When I picked it up, all the paint was gone and down to the metal. Worked beautifully.
Stephan

+1
and BTW it is Cummins

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.

3988 Cummins 330hp 27 Jul 2017 05:07 #4

• higgins_jr
  • Thank you received: 357
Manzer, just a quick point on the condition of the exhaust end. There has been some excessive heat near the riser flange and coupled with moisture/rust, it looks like the top flange bolt is very rusty and the head may have partially disintegrated, maybe to the point where a socket may be useless. Have a good look at all 4 bolts to check their condition and also the underside of the turbo for rust. It's indicative of water leaking back from the riser and may have got into the turbo itself.

That not to say it's not in reasonable working order at present, but at some point the riser and turbo need to come apart for servicing. If the bolts are rusted in, the job becomes much more cumbersome and a real pain. (From personal experience.)

You should have a good Cummins mechanic check out both engines prior to purchase. Good luck with your review/evaluation.

Cheers

John H
Brisbane QLD Aust
"Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

3988 Cummins 330hp 27 Jul 2017 08:31 #5

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451

kwb wrote:

point2 wrote: Hi.
Stephan

+1
and BTW it is Cummins

Fixed it.

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

3988 Cummins 330hp 27 Jul 2017 15:27 #6

• The Other Gary
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 130
There is definitely a need for a wire brush and some paint, even from a rattle can, to keep the externals from showing rust and making maintenance easier going forward.
Here are my engines, the port is a new build from a long block with a new turbo. the starboard is nine years old, original turbo, but I keep up with corrosion prevention.
By the way, your engines are CPL 1928 builds with Nippondenso injector pumps 315's and they are really good if you prop them to exceed 2800 rpm at WOT in your normal loaded state.
Don't settle for almost 2800 and they will run happy all day long at 2300 cruise.

www.facebook.com/gary.peck.7921/videos/10206154308729438/

Have your mechanic measure the blowby from each engine at operating temp and keep the oil levels at the lower mark on the stick due to the angle they are mounted in the boat to avoid crank splash out the vent and into the Airseps. That is still 13 quarts in the pan so no worries about lack of oil.
If this has been run in salt water now would be the time to slice the heat wrap on the exhaust mixers and look for pinholes that may indicate a problem that is repairable before you need new mixers. The wrap can be reused by adding an extra layer of hi temp cloth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smitty477, robster_in_edmonds

"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard
Last Edit: by The Other Gary.

3988 Cummins 330hp 27 Jul 2017 16:14 #7

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 965

The Other Gary wrote: There is definitely a need for a wire brush and some paint, even from a rattle can, to keep the externals from showing rust and making maintenance easier going forward.
Here are my engines, the port is a new build from a long block with a new turbo. the starboard is nine years old, original turbo, but I keep up with corrosion prevention.
By the way, your engines are CPL 1928 builds with Nippondenso injector pumps 315's and they are really good if you prop them to exceed 2800 rpm at WOT in your normal loaded state.
Don't settle for almost 2800 and they will run happy all day long at 2300 cruise.

www.facebook.com/gary.peck.7921/videos/10206154308729438/

Have your mechanic measure the blowby from each engine at operating temp and keep the oil levels at the lower mark on the stick due to the angle they are mounted in the boat to avoid crank splash out the vent and into the Airseps. That is still 13 quarts in the pan so no worries about lack of oil.
If this has been run in salt water now would be the time to slice the heat wrap on the exhaust mixers and look for pinholes that may indicate a problem that is repairable before you need new mixers. The wrap can be reused by adding an extra layer of hi temp cloth.

Fantastically valuable post !!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: The Other Gary

Northport NY

3988 Cummins 330hp 28 Jul 2017 19:08 #8

• Manzer74
thanks all for the tips pointers, And i will correct my spelling...
I am going this weekend to give the deposit and sign the contracts, I will make sure my surveyor looks closely at everything. This is our first diesel boat. I will be addressing the rust immediately as it drives me nuts. I have already looked into a portable sand/media blaster. ( not for turbos) for the turbos i will possibly replace them over the winter.

Sea trial to come in the next few weeks, Seller is replacing both raw water pumps, one heat exchanger as its leaking and all the batteries.

what else should i be looking for? i haven't found any soft spots, other than something small on the pulpit that'll i'll address. There was the usual leak from the bridge on the stbd side but was fixed. I 'll have to replace the valance fabric, non issue to me..

We're getting a great deal so i am not going to tear the seller apart, just concerned about large ticket items.

Do any of you have other than Formica counter tops? Wife is already talking about Corian...

3988 Cummins 330hp 28 Jul 2017 20:48 #9

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 616
Maybe you are aware of this, but most surveyors do not check the engines, drive line, and generator in detail. You need a mechanic with Cummins engine experience to do a mechanical inspection of the boat. This way you won't be surprised by any high ticket items. If you need a referral, let us know what area you are at. Better yet, complete your profile on this site with that information.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

3988 Cummins 330hp 28 Jul 2017 21:20 #10

• higgins_jr
  • Thank you received: 357
Manzer, in addition to the heat exchangers and raw water pumps, the other key component are the "Aftercoolers". It's the large "box" arrangement on the rear port side of the engine. Raw water flows from the water pump, thru the fuel cooler (unless it's been removed), then into the bottom of the aftercooler housing and out the top, thru to the heat exchanger, then to the exhaust riser.

The core inside the housing has fine copper fins that the turbo air passes thru. These fins can get clogged over time with oil fumes/residue and restricts airflow into the engine. Black smoke is indicative of clogging aftercooler cores. If they have not been maintained over time, the actual housing can corrode and even crack allowing water to leak into the airflow and obviously cause potentially major problems.

If raw water impellers have lost bits of rubber edges etc, they tend to clog the aftercooler core tubes, which in turn reduces cooling water flow thru the heat exchangers raising engine temps. I would imagine your engine surveyor will look at all this during your sea trial. If everything seems OK at sea trial and you can reach spec'd WOT revs, it's a good start, but I'd be pulling them first thing after purchase (before you look at replacing turbos) for cleaning. Depending on hours used, they need to be regularly maintained every 2-3 years.

As a prospective Cummins owner, you should go look at Sbmar.com. It has a wealth of info on maintenance of this component and almost everything else.

Hope it helps. Cheers

John H
Brisbane QLD Aust
"Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

3988 Cummins 330hp 29 Jul 2017 04:10 #11

• kwb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 87
Don't get too hung up on the rust on the turbo - hit it with a wire brush and paint it up. There are spots that get too hot for paint and will bake it off. Being in a marine environment it will get a bit rusty in those spots and there really isn't much of a way around that. I would recommend a 2K paint and a preval sprayer over a standard rattle can. Many catalyzed paints actually perform pretty well under high heat and in the not hot areas will be much better than whatever is coming out of a touchup can.

Rust forms more readily in high temperatures and metals that are under higher strain compared to lower temperatures and lower strain.

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.

3988 Cummins 330hp 05 Aug 2017 13:29 #12

• Manzer74
I went and climbed through everything again and made our deposit. Right now they're putting new batteries all around, addressing the fuel since it's been sitting three years. All the filters etc. a closer look at the aftercoolers they appeared to have been serviced, evidence of grease around the top and bottom cap seals. I will open it up once I get her home. Air conditioning pump to be replaced. Next week we should be surveying and sea trials. I did contact a cummins tech and he will be going back with me to do his part.

We're getting closer and the excitement is building, this will be a nice upgrade from our cruisers yachts 3075 rogue.

Last Edit: by Manzer74. Reason: Spelling

3988 Cummins 330hp 05 Aug 2017 13:32 #13

• Manzer74
A previous post asked for locations.
We will port the boat in Marlboro ny up the Hudson River. The boat has been in Toms River nj for the last 10 years. The owner kept it docked at his house on a small canal. He passed 4 years ago and the family does not want it. (As I was told)

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.195 seconds