• Page:

TOPIC: help sourcing galley side ports 3288

help sourcing galley side ports 3288 16 Jul 2017 16:43 #1

• lolar3288
  • lolar3288's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35
I have a 1993 3288 and the plastic in the side port windows in the galley and head are failing. The plastic is beginning to crack probably due to age and sun. Bomar doesn't make these port light hatches any more so does anyone know where I could get replacements or the plastic in the window replaced? It is riveted in and you can't get it out with damaging the frame or gasket.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Larry

help sourcing galley side ports 3288 18 Jul 2017 13:18 #2

• Bay39
  • Poulsbo, WA
  • Thank you received: 16
You are correct. Once they fail they cannot be fixed without breaking the seal and at that point need total replacement. My last boat I replaced all five (5) of my Bomar gray series portlights with Trimatrix self-sealing ones provided by newfoundmetals. They are a local company up here in Port Townsend, WA near the airport. I drove up to their store and was impressed with the build quality at a reasonable price. They were easy to install and required no caulking which was a real plus +++. The company will also lend you a template in order to dremel/route out the hole for the new window. Lastly, I was amazed of the amount of light exposure inside with real glass versus the original Bomar Polycarbonate Lens. There are videos on the website as well as youtube to help you replace your originals. Trust me once you replace the failing port; you will want to replace them all. First one was a learning curve then the rest were easy.

www.newfoundmetals.com/home
The following user(s) said Thank You: lolar3288

MY 3988
M/V MMPOWRD
Poulsbo, WA

help sourcing galley side ports 3288 16 Aug 2017 13:50 #3

• lolar3288
  • lolar3288's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35
Well I contacted newfoundmetals and they have been very helpful but I would like to pursue repair of the originals if possible. We do not have "boat wrecking yards" here but I will try to find used portlights like the originals to see if I can figure a way to replace the plastic. If I can't I guess the only option is to go the full port light replacement route!

Larry
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds