• Page:

TOPIC: Holding tank stinks.

Holding tank stinks. 22 Jul 2017 05:22 #26

• cosmo777
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 118
Vinegar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pat
Paragon
1999 4788

Holding tank stinks. 23 Jul 2017 06:27 #27

• Centerline2
  • Thank you received: 35

Tim Wing wrote: When we flush the heads the holding tank gas from the outside vent emits really bad odor. What is the solution.

using OxyClean is a new one, I havent heard of that before but its worth a try.
after owning several Rv's and many Boats, all with waste holding tanks, I can say with certainty that the formaldehyde toilet chemical works the best... there is no competition for removing the odor.
BUT.. in the concentrations needed for a useful dose, its not good to be discharged into septic systems where the natural bacteria is necessary for the system to work properly, so its kind of frowned upon...
formaldehyde kills the good bacteria, it kills the bad bacteria, it kills Salmonella, it kills E.Coli, and other pathogens in the waste, AND it kills the stink... with enough formaldehyde it will basically render the waste harmless... the formaldehyde is biodegradable and will become harmless itself in time, but until it does it continues to kill the enviroment in which it is dumped.

so, all that aside, the most recent boat I purchased had been setting for 2.5 years with full holding tank and the head full of waste that couldnt be flushed. the boat smelled terrible as the joker valve was being held open by the waste, so the liquid in the tank kept the contents in the bowl moist.... I knew I could revive it.
so after pumping out the tank, and flushing it a couple times with water, I added 4 doses (packages) of Monochem T5 (formaldehyde formula) chemical to it... I flushed two into the tank, dumped one package down the pump out line, and half flushed the other one thru the head... after setting for about 2 months now (while working on other parts of the boat) the stink is completely gone. no smell in the cabin, no smell below decks, no smell in the head, no smell coming from the vent, and no smell in the pumpout fitting when the cap is removed..

the lines were definitley permeated with the smell and it surprised me that it cleaned them up so nice as to not have any residual odor, but it is my go to choice when the stink becomes an issue, or the system needs work on it... when having to work on the blackwater system, knowing all the waste and effluent has been rendered as harmless as possible and the smell removed, makes the task easier to deal with..

1989 Bayliner 2556, 5.7 OMC Cobra

Holding tank stinks. 31 Jul 2017 16:32 #28

• Sea Q
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 12

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds