Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Holding tank stinks.

Holding tank stinks. 11 Jul 2017 23:58 #1

• Tim Wing
  • Tim Wing's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
When we flush the heads the holding tank gas from the outside vent emits really bad odor. What is the solution.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim Wing
The Betty Jean

Holding tank stinks. 12 Jul 2017 00:06 #2

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 328
There are a few. One that I know of is a special filter that goes in the vent line. Another is to add an enzyme solution to the tank. I'm not sure which works best, but they all claim to. There's always the rinse and pump, repeat, repeat, repeat.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Holding tank stinks. 12 Jul 2017 00:16 #3

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 380
Use a chemical in your holding tank that contains formaldehyde. It will kill the bacteria that creates the smell. Been using it for years in RVs and boat holding tanks.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Holding tank stinks. 12 Jul 2017 00:53 #4

• Sea Q
  • Thank you received: 12

Holding tank stinks. 12 Jul 2017 01:50 #5

• diveguy
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Thank you received: 166
Some claim NoFlex digester works and a carbon filter in the tank vent line. It didn't work for me. I found the blue rv tank treatment and frequent flushing of the tank works best.

"Martini's Law"
1986 Bayliner 3270, 110 Hino's
Nova Scotia, Canada

Holding tank stinks. 12 Jul 2017 02:48 #6

• carguy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
I've had the best luck with Noflex but it takes about 10 days at the beginning of the season to start working. I also have the filter on the air line. If you ever over fill the holding tank, that filter will get wet and become usless. You can pay 50 bucks for a new one or cut em open and replace the innards with the charcoal they use in aquarium filters ( get it at a parts store).

Doug
Hanging Loose
98 Carver 350 Mariner
2013-
KRUSTY KRAB
2001 305
5.7 BII
2006-2013

Holding tank stinks. 12 Jul 2017 03:37 #7

• freedre
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
I've been using 'NoFlex' for about 5 years now and had good results.

Midnight Star
1996 3587
Twin diesels, Hino 250's
Ladysmith, BC
History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Holding tank stinks. 12 Jul 2017 03:58 #8

• Framedtrash
  • Thank you received: 2
Big Orange Filter
works great no more stinky boat for me

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

2000 Bayliner 3055 Ciera - Wine Down
Townsville, QLD Australia
Last Edit: by Framedtrash.

Holding tank stinks. 12 Jul 2017 13:17 #9

• sockeye
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
NoFlex sure worked for us
Can not believe the difference it has made but may get a big orange as extra insurance
Where do you install it ?

Holding tank stinks. 12 Jul 2017 13:48 #10

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 964
Venting and Norlflex are the best approaches.
As for filters we build simple ones using regular 2" PVC pipe and activated charcoal available at Walmart for fish filters ($5/can)
You get to make a larger higher capacity filter that can be refilled when needed and has little cost.

"Where do you install it ?"
On the vent line between the tank and the outside vent.
Look under your stb side bar sink - on the wall inside the lower cabinet there is a false panel, take it off and you will see the vent line in there.

Northport NY

Holding tank stinks. 12 Jul 2017 14:15 #11

• robster_in_edmonds
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 241
A friend taught me a good habit when pumping out. Pump out the tank. Fill it about 1/4 with fresh water (there's usually a fresh water hose near the pumpout). Pump out again. Fill 1/4 again with fresh water then pump out a final time. After about three times we have eliminated the smells when flushing.

Rob Meldrum
Commodore, Edmonds Yacht Club (2014-2015)
"Miss Maui" * 1997 Bayliner 4788 * Cummins 330s

Holding tank stinks. 12 Jul 2017 19:15 #12

• Alan Teed
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Further to smitty's comments. I added a Holding Tank Vent Filter (HTVF) in the bar cupboard per the attached photo. It is secured by velcro straps and is easily removed to refresh the activated carbon.

Here are the instructions for building this, which I saved some time ago from this site. I can no longer remember who posted them orginally but they worked great and thanks are due!

QUOTE:So you are wondering what a HTVF is right? Well you know that unpleasant stench you sometimes get from the vent on your holding tank? Normally it happens when you least want it and this little device already proven to work extremely well as it can be purchased at West Marine for the ridiculous amount of $104
www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser...50653&classNum=50656

Only problem is it lasts about a year and then needs to be replaced for the much cheaper price of $94 since you keep the fittings on the end and only replace the center cartridge. How nice of them!! In reality, it is only a tube with Activated carbon in it which absorbs the odour.

You will need to purchase the following.

From Home Depot or any hardware store

A 12" length of 2" abs plumbing pipe
(here I had to by a 3, length @ $5.67)

2 pieces, 2" abs slip x 2" female pipe thread fitting @ $1.46 ea

2 pieces, abs 2"MPT cap @ $0.82

2 pieces, 1/2" NPT x 3/4" PEX
I went all out on expenses for this one and paid $2.50 each for these solid brass babies. The PEX style fitting works better than a traditionally used barb as it is easier to remove the hose from the fitting when the unit needs recharging. However, if you are on a tight budget, they are available in plastic which would be 1/2" npt male x 1/2" male barb. Yes, even though vent lines are 5/8" the 1/2" barb works very well and is easier to reomve. These cost $0.54 each

2 pieces gear clamps @ $0.30 each

you will also need some foam cut to size to prevent the carbon from falling into the vent line.

In the picture below you can see all the parts I listed above UNQUOTE

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Alan Teed
MOONDANCE
'94 4788
Gig Harbor, WA
Previously:
2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
Bayliner 2855
1977 Cal 34' blowboat
1981 Hunter 33' blowboat
Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Holding tank stinks. 12 Jul 2017 19:20 #13

• Alan Teed
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Further to my earlier email with the reference to and instructions for building a vent filter, this will only solve part of the problem. It will significantly reduce the dispersal of the odor from the tank vent but the odor is still in the tank and you will still get a whiff or more from time to time. We eventually and totally solved this problem and now have a completely non odorous holding tank/toilet system by replacing both heads with fresh water units and replacing all the sanitary hoses. We did not even have to clean out the holding tank, just treated the residue in there several times and flushed with fresh water when replacing the above mentioned items.

The smell which is so obnoxious is not in fact human waste, which breaks down quickly, it is the dead and rotting sea organisms that are brought into the tank with every salt-water flush. If you flush with fresh water exclusively you will not get this smell.

Alan Teed
MOONDANCE
'94 4788
Gig Harbor, WA
Previously:
2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
Bayliner 2855
1977 Cal 34' blowboat
1981 Hunter 33' blowboat
Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Holding tank stinks. 13 Jul 2017 04:44 #14

• cosmo777
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 118
One scoop of OxiClean, powder form.
Costco sells it for $19 a box (about 11 lbs).
I'm over 2 years with no smell and still on the first box.
One scoop when we head out on a weekend trip, one scoop after we're back and do a pumpout.
Try it. What's to lose? If it doesn't work (it will) you can always use it for household purposes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: freedre

Pat
Paragon
1999 4788

Holding tank stinks. 13 Jul 2017 12:36 #15

• feclark47
  • Thank you received: 3
I had a similar problem on my 3870. I ended up replacing all of the hoses from the heads to the tank. Wasn't fun, but it fixed it.

Holding tank stinks. 14 Jul 2017 15:41 #16

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 115
Tanks can become saturated too, but per all the above advice replace the hoses yes, add a filter to the vent yes. Worked for me.
Of course rinsing is always good. When I get to a pump that I can spend time at, I rinse and repeat until clear.

Holding tank stinks. 14 Jul 2017 16:31 #17

• freedre
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188

cosmo777 wrote: One scoop of OxiClean, powder form.
One scoop when we head out on a weekend trip, one scoop after we're back and do a pumpout.
Try it. What's to lose? If it doesn't work (it will) you can always use it for household purposes.

I like the idea of using this, but the OxiClean site lists 29 products. Could you be a bit more specific about which one you are using?

Thanks.

Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pcpete

Midnight Star
1996 3587
Twin diesels, Hino 250's
Ladysmith, BC
History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Holding tank stinks. 15 Jul 2017 06:45 #18

• RobMick
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 123
Not being a cabin cruiser owner, but being in the chemical business I'd like to chime in. First...enzymes do not work...here's why...enzymes are what bacteria produce to help the bacteria "digest" the food source. Sort of like a "knife and fork" for the bacteria....they only cut the solid food sources into smaller pieces so that the bacteria can then digest it. Many municipalities are now banning the use of "free enzymes" because of this. Someone may want to try the bacteria that you put into your septic system. Problem is that you pump out so you would have to reintroduce new bacteria after pump out...would be easy. Has anyone ever tried a lift station maintaining fluid? Sort of like the old plumbers trick if you have "dry traps" in your sinks or floor drains in a building. What you are smelling is the gas emanating from the drain pipe itself. "Old school" guys use a layer mineral oil to establish a "floating layer" on top of the waste water. This "floating layer" prevents the gas from getting to the pipe and letting the odor into the room/cabin/ bathroom whatever. These products can be natural such a citrus based or synthetic. As the waste water level in the tank rises and lowers the "floating layer" of fluid also rises and lowers and cleans the sides of the tanks as well as any pumps or flats that may be in there. It may be worth a try especially on long layovers between pump outs....the idea that some sort of an "oil base" such as citrus needs to be kept in mind as it will "float" in the waste water and sit on top forming that barrier...on this one it may be best to think like a building custodian, not necessarily a "boater"...

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Holding tank stinks. 15 Jul 2017 14:06 #19

• kev_rm
  • 1987 3870 Hino 175's
  • Thank you received: 31
If the below would work my guess is it would only work while at the dock. Normal cruising movement would completely disrupt any top film.

RobMick wrote: Not being a cabin cruiser owner, but being in the chemical business I'd like to chime in. First...enzymes do not work...here's why...enzymes are what bacteria produce to help the bacteria "digest" the food source. Sort of like a "knife and fork" for the bacteria....they only cut the solid food sources into smaller pieces so that the bacteria can then digest it. Many municipalities are now banning the use of "free enzymes" because of this. Someone may want to try the bacteria that you put into your septic system. Problem is that you pump out so you would have to reintroduce new bacteria after pump out...would be easy. Has anyone ever tried a lift station maintaining fluid? Sort of like the old plumbers trick if you have "dry traps" in your sinks or floor drains in a building. What you are smelling is the gas emanating from the drain pipe itself. "Old school" guys use a layer mineral oil to establish a "floating layer" on top of the waste water. This "floating layer" prevents the gas from getting to the pipe and letting the odor into the room/cabin/ bathroom whatever. These products can be natural such a citrus based or synthetic. As the waste water level in the tank rises and lowers the "floating layer" of fluid also rises and lowers and cleans the sides of the tanks as well as any pumps or flats that may be in there. It may be worth a try especially on long layovers between pump outs....the idea that some sort of an "oil base" such as citrus needs to be kept in mind as it will "float" in the waste water and sit on top forming that barrier...on this one it may be best to think like a building custodian, not necessarily a "boater"...

Holding tank stinks. 15 Jul 2017 18:49 #20

• cosmo777
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 118

freedre wrote:

cosmo777 wrote: One scoop of OxiClean, powder form.

I like the idea of using this, but the OxiClean site lists 29 products. Could you be a bit more specific about which one you are using?

Thanks.

Ron

Ron,
This is what I bought
www.costco.com/OxiClean-Max-Stain-Remove...oduct.100299628.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: freedre

Pat
Paragon
1999 4788

Holding tank stinks. 15 Jul 2017 23:28 #21

• RobMick
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Actually the movement of the waste water would benefit the layer at the top as that layer would slosh around and clean the walls of he tank. The layer would be very difficult to really break up as the viscosity of it will not go below huge water for any length of time.

2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Holding tank stinks. 15 Jul 2017 23:33 #22

• RobMick
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Your treatment "layer" would be about 2" in thickness/depth. The initial application would consist of the most product and then you would experience approximately a 5-8% evaporation rate over 30 days...that's assuming that there would be movement or agitation daily just as if it were in a sewage ejector pit or a lift station. May want to contact a plumbing supply store for a liquid product designed for lift stations or sewage ejector pumps. Even at pump out you wouldn't lose your entire layer of product as I would think that your pump pulls from the bottom of the tank it close to the bottom. .....the floating layer will stay on top...

2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Holding tank stinks. 16 Jul 2017 14:31 #23

• igiftmon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 61
Someone was telling me about a chemical that you can put down your wate system that breaks down the hard crud layer in the pipes and such so it doesn't cause issue long term. Does anyone know what that might be?

I ask as I am rebuilding my vacuum flush pumps and noticed a serious buildup of yuck that was as hard as concrete and did not soften when the parts were soaked in cleaner or water...

Thanks,
BJ
OMEGA

Holding tank stinks. 21 Jul 2017 19:21 #24

• trode
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 3
Was told some time ago that the real issue, as mentioned in prior post, is the use of salt water in the system. Prior owner to my boat claims to never having had any odor issues, but since I have had the boat, and using salt water thru hull for flushing, it sure has begun to stink.

Couldn't just be that his ........ didn't stink??!!

Going to give a good system flush and add chemical deodorizer (West Marine) and use fresh water to flush, and see what happens.

Tom, 2004 242 Classic, 5.7 (carbed), Bravo II

Holding tank stinks. 21 Jul 2017 23:44 #25

• Uncle Bob
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 132
When I had a salt water system we used liquid dish soap after pump out. Squeezed in a quarter cup and left it tthere to slosh about. Added Candure and did not have any stink.

1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds