Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: 4788 vs 4588

4788 vs 4588 10 Jul 2017 20:28 #1

  • DryMartini
  • DryMartini's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 49
  • Thank you received: 2
After 17 years with our beloved 3888, we have decided to move up. Age gets you as does the ladder to the flybridge. We have been looking for a 4588; however, several people have recommended the 4788. While the 4788 is newer and better construction materials, there is a substantial difference in price. If you have faced this same question of 45 vs 47 vs cost? We would like to hear what you chose and why.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 03:13 #2

  • Knot Happy
  • Knot Happy's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Hmmmm
  • Posts: 99
  • Thank you received: 28
When we started looking for a pilot house we really liked the 4588, however the more research we did the more we determined the 47 was the better choice for us. The basic layout is so similar that at first it did not seem to be any real difference, however there are some significant but subtle things to consider.

The first and for us one of the most significant is that the 45 uses a balsa wood core in its deck, while for the 47 (after 1997) they used a foam core. If the 45 balsa core gets wet due to leaking railing mounts or any other poorly sealed point it can turn to mush and the deck gets soft. This is a very expensive repair. $20k to $30k is typical. If you go 45 verify the core is dry and then make certain you keep all seams and attach points sealed.

There was an article written that I found reviewing the two boats that pointed out the small 1 inch step at the top of the stair to the pilot house in the 45 and how it was a known trip hazard. Even after I read that article I managed to trip over that step on one of the boats we looked at. It is just enough that it got me even after I read that article, not a serious thing, but something to be aware of.

We love the bright work on the 45, however I am not so excited about maintaining all that beautiful wood and the later year 47s don't have all that trim on the outside.

The cockpit door is swapped from starboard on the 45 to port on the 47, this at least for us makes the salon feel more comfortable, but that may just be a preference for us.

The dingy davit is far stronger on the 47, it is rated for 700lb, while the 45 is only rated at 500lb, the 45 is known for the davit pulling out of the deck and is another thing to watch for and if you go with a 45 you would want to have it modified for strength . ( a common modification )

They eliminated the prop pockets on the 47, this actually improved performance as I understand from some articles I read the pockets are poorly designed and cause a little extra drag. They were originally added to reduce draft of the boat, however the 47 only draws 3.5 feet, so I don't know how much that matters. The pockets also collect/trap water in the cockpit bilge area and are awkward to keep dry and clean. This can lead to some oder if you let it grow green stuff.

The radar arch on the 45's are known for dry rot issues and need to be rebuilt, they typically start to sag under normal load. However the 47 arch is stronger it has its own issues as they are a source of water leak into the salon area.

I know it sounds like I am dissing the 45, I actually think it is a very pretty boat and yes it can be acquired for much less than a 47, but the above points are a few of the reasons we went with a 47.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4788 PH 2001, Cummins 370's
2355 C Express, 1996 5L
17ft Cobra, 1985, 125HP

I just need two more feet ;-)

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 03:50 #3

  • kwb
  • kwb's Avatar
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 1451
  • Thank you received: 87
Cummins power is the big one to me. The other bits listed above are good incremental improvements but with most 4788 powered by Cummins that is worth the price bump almost by itself.

The Hino is a good engine but the sheer number of b-series cummins out there have will-fitters making parts, not so much for Hino.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 04:53 #4

  • igiftmon
  • igiftmon's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 295
  • Thank you received: 61
My previous boat was a 4588 and it was great. It was incredible in every way. At times I did have thoughts of upgrading it to a 4788, but every time I started down that road I couldn't justify the financial difference between the boats. Yes, 4788 is superior in several ways, from its core construction to its engines and pilot house layout, but the price difference was the driver.

If I were considering between two boats and money was no object, I would lean hard toward the 4788. However, if I was trying to be frugal and get the biggest bang for the buck, I would lean toward the 4588, as the saving leaves money in the bank for significant upgrades and such that you would not necessarily be able to make to a 4788,if you wanted to.

To level the playing field a bit, you might consider what the difference between a high quality 4588 verses a moderate of slight fixer 4788 would be. A top quality 4588 can normally be found for a bit more than the average 4588, but would probably be worth it if there's little to nothing to do, including upgrades. On the opposite side, This also applies in reverse for the 4788 and you might want to consider a so-so 4788 that you can make your own if your handy

Sorry it's not as definitive. If money is a serious concern, a 4588 might be a good compromise.

I hope this helps,

BJ
OMEGA
5788

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 14:14 #5

  • DryMartini
  • DryMartini's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 49
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks for the input. This really is a hard question to answer and I appreciated the input. Some minor points I have to consider is draft and height. If I have my numbers correct, the 4588 and 4788 are similar in height and draft. One question about the 4788. Was the foam core started in 1997 or 1998?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 14:22 #6

  • stargazerwa
  • stargazerwa's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 377
  • Thank you received: 28
The other thing to consider is length. Slips for these boats are expensive and sometimes 2' can cost a lot. Also the 45 can legally use the Washington State Parks mooring buoys the 47 cannot. Anchoring is great, but some parks are so filled with buoys there is little room to anchor. Now that we have the 4788 my favorite Ewing Cove at Sucia is off limits to use.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 14:25 #7

  • smitty477
  • smitty477's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 5743
  • Thank you received: 966

DryMartini wrote: Thanks for the input. This really is a hard question to answer and I appreciated the input. Some minor points I have to consider is draft and height. If I have my numbers correct, the 4588 and 4788 are similar in height and draft. One question about the 4788. Was the foam core started in 1997 or 1998?


I believe the first 6 boats produced in 1994 had balsa in the core and then the balance of boats from hull 7 forward had closed cell foam.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Northport NY

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 14:30 #8

  • smitty477
  • smitty477's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 5743
  • Thank you received: 966
Since we have owned both 45 and 47 Bayliners we are pretty familiar with each. Here is a very old post I made about some of the differences ...


Bayliner 45 - 47 significant list
This is a partial list of the significant improvements on the Bayliner 47 Pilothouse compared to its 45 Pilothouse predecessor. For these reasons we determined it was well worth the time, money, and effort to move from our Bayliner 4588 to a 4788 Pilothouse. This is only a partial list and does not include anything deemed insignificant such as carpets, wall treatments, furniture color selection or the like.
Bayliner 45 – produced 1984 to 1993
Bayliner 47 – produced 1994 to 2002 (then as Meridian for another few years)
Significant advantages of the 4788:
• Fwd deck construction (C)
• Boat deck C
• Arch C
• Boat deck side overhangs C
• Davit C and real capacity
• Flybridge furniture C
• Water tanks C
• Holding tank C and location access
• Hot water heater C and locations
• Larger areas include: salon, fly bridge, Pilot, Galley, & Fwd stateroom
• Stateroom floor layout
• Saloon and Pilothouse layout much more useable
• Pilothouse floor has no ‘tripping’ points
• A/C locations and serviceability/life
• Headroom in Pilothouse , salon, & under arch
• AC and DC electrical panels C and usefulness
• Battery locations
• Washer/dryer access and usability
• Improved power plant design and access
• Simplified fuel and lube oil changes
• Improved pre-heat systems on mains
• Higher cruise speed(s)
• Slight fuel economy increase
• Lack of side deck cap wood, cockpit cap wood
• Less bow rise, more stern lift, easier to maneuver
• Genset location and shield
• No prop pockets
• 2” shafts vs 1.5”
• Transmission capability (800’s)
• Transmission ratios match “A” & “B”
• Improved cutlass
• Larger prop diameter
• Exhaust outlet location
• Lazerette added, lower noise as measured
• Easier to service engines

The significant items we missed in the 47 that the 45 had:
• Spare ‘pockets’ at the shaft logs to control water
• Storage in mid cabin
• Slightly smaller mid cabin

"c" = construction and/or materials
The following user(s) said Thank You: robster_in_edmonds

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Northport NY

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 14:35 #9

  • smitty477
  • smitty477's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 5743
  • Thank you received: 966

stargazerwa wrote: The other thing to consider is length. Slips for these boats are expensive and sometimes 2' can cost a lot. Also the 45 can legally use the Washington State Parks mooring buoys the 47 cannot. Anchoring is great, but some parks are so filled with buoys there is little room to anchor. Now that we have the 4788 my favorite Ewing Cove at Sucia is off limits to use.


Interesting - many marinas out here know the these boats are no where near 45 or 47' in length and apply that when making arrangements for slips and the like. Some still just go by the decals on the side - for those that just read the decals perhaps just remove the '47'. Neither of the boats are near 45' anyway if anyone should measure one.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Northport NY

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 14:41 #10

  • ksanders
  • ksanders's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 3341
  • Thank you received: 237
Really the main differences between the 45 and the 47's amount to changes in construction materials used in the boating industry as the industry evolved, and the natural changes made to a model line as time progresses.

Around this same time frame the entire boating industry shifted building materials away from Balsa core decks to foam core.

Really nice, really well kept, and constantly updated 45's can be had for just over a hundred grand if memory serves correctly.
The same condition late production 47 is going to cost close to double that number.

I have a late production 4788, made in 2001. With all those advances in the boat, I really prefer the all teak interiors of the older models.

People talk about prefering the Cummins engine over the Hino engine, and the market price difference between Hino powered 47's and Cummins 47's reflects that preferance.

What few talk about, the big secret here, is the sheer number of Cummins engines that have been replaced. That is something you just do not hear about in Hino equipped boats. I believe that time has shown that the Hino is probably a much more durable engine than the Cummins.

If I could go back in time and do it all over again I think I woul'd probably opt for a well maintained constantly upgraded 1995 or thereabouts Hino equipped 4788, and pocket the significant difference in dollars... probably enough to buy a decent second home somewhere in the sun belt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smitty477, TonyC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com
Last Edit: by ksanders.

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 15:03 #11

  • smitty477
  • smitty477's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 5743
  • Thank you received: 966

ksanders wrote: Really the main differences between the 45 and the 47's amount to changes in construction materials used in the boating industry as the industry evolved, and the natural changes made to a model line as time progresses.

Around this same time frame the entire boating industry shifted building materials away from Balsa core decks to foam core.

Really nice, really well kept, and constantly updated 45's can be had for just over a hundred grand if memory serves correctly.
The same condition late production 47 is going to cost close to double that number.

I have a late production 4788, made in 2001. With all those advances in the boat, I really prefer the all teak interiors of the older models.

People talk about prefering the Cummins engine over the Hino engine, and the market price difference between Hino powered 47's and Cummins 47's reflects that preferance.

What few talk about, the big secret here, is the sheer number of Cummins engines that have been replaced. That is something you just do not hear about in Hino equipped boats. I believe that time has shown that the Hino is probably a much more durable engine than the Cummins.

If I could go back in time and do it all over again I think I woul'd probably opt for a well maintained constantly upgraded 1995 or thereabouts Hino equipped 4788, and pocket the significant difference in dollars... probably enough to buy a decent second home somewhere in the sun belt.



Geee Kevin - I could not agree more with your assessment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Northport NY

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 15:17 #12

  • robster_in_edmonds
  • robster_in_edmonds's Avatar
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 1476
  • Thank you received: 241
Hey, Kevin, I have not heard about the big number of Cummins engines that have been replaced in the 4788s. I've read lots of people replacing or adjusting the 24x24 props, but actual failed engines being replaced? I don't know of any personally. I know that's just anecdotal, but I personally know of four friends at my marina who have had to replace blown Volvo engines in fairly new boats, and don't know of any folks in the area who have replaced Cummins engines. Do you have any hard numbers?

Thanks!

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rob Meldrum
Commodore, Edmonds Yacht Club (2014-2015)
"Miss Maui" * 1997 Bayliner 4788 * Cummins 330s

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 15:19 #13

  • smitty477
  • smitty477's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 5743
  • Thank you received: 966

robster_in_edmonds wrote: Hey, Kevin, I have not heard about the big number of Cummins engines that have been replaced in the 4788s. I've read lots of people replacing or adjusting the 24x24 props, but actual failed engines being replaced? I don't know of any personally. I know that's just anecdotal, but I personally know of four friends at my marina who have had to replace blown Volvo engines in fairly new boats, and don't know of any folks in the area who have replaced Cummins engines. Do you have any hard numbers?

Thanks!

Hello Rob - there have been many on this site alone that have emailed me about replacing one or both engines over the years. Most often they do not care to post on the forum about the issues but over time there have been at least a dozen engines.

Rob

The following user(s) said Thank You: robster_in_edmonds

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Northport NY

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 15:22 #14

  • smitty477
  • smitty477's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 5743
  • Thank you received: 966
Found another older post ....

Bayliner 45 vs 47

There were changes made in each model year but these are some of the general differences between the mid 80's 45 and the mid 90's 47 Bayliners.

45 has:
- aluminum holding tank below pilot stairs
- aluminum water tanks
- split A/C units port of port engine
- batteries stb of stb engine
- prop pockets
- a decent davit
- wood base flybridge seats
- wood core in flybridge and elsewhere
- wood veneer on port and stb overhangs
- less space pilot and saloon
- usually gensets have no shield
- arch rear facing and needs attention
- teak cap on rails
- more storage
- “V” struts
- 1-1/2 “ shafts
- watch for dry turbo’s early years
- neat shaft pockets inside to collect water

47 has:
- no prop pockets
- 2" shafts
- less storage
- A/C units are under seats in pilot and master
- batteries at rear of engines
- there is a bulkhead door
- most gensets have shield
- molded seating on flybridge
- arch is forward and braced
- decking is foam core
- more robust davit
- extra space in saloon and pilothouse
- less space in mid stateroom
- more useable space on flybridge
- 95' and down still has all the teak
- most water leaks were corrected

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Northport NY

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 15:22 #15

  • Knot Happy
  • Knot Happy's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Hmmmm
  • Posts: 99
  • Thank you received: 28
I believe the core material change was a mid year switch. The early 97 was balsa core and sometime in 97 they switched to foam. I don't have much detail on it. It appears smitty477 has some other data specific to hull numbers that is different then what I found when researching. His information indicates the change was in 94. I do know that at least 1 1997 year model I looked at had core issues (soft saturated deck) and I was informed they changed the core materials in 97.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4788 PH 2001, Cummins 370's
2355 C Express, 1996 5L
17ft Cobra, 1985, 125HP

I just need two more feet ;-)
Last Edit: by Knot Happy.

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 15:25 #16

  • ksanders
  • ksanders's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 3341
  • Thank you received: 237

robster_in_edmonds wrote: Hey, Kevin, I have not heard about the big number of Cummins engines that have been replaced in the 4788s. I've read lots of people replacing or adjusting the 24x24 props, but actual failed engines being replaced? I don't know of any personally. I know that's just anecdotal, but I personally know of four friends at my marina who have had to replace blown Volvo engines in fairly new boats, and don't know of any folks in the area who have replaced Cummins engines. Do you have any hard numbers?

Thanks!

Rob


No hard numbers Rob, Just seeing the several 4788's here on the BOC that have had new engines, or mostly one new engine, or a engine that had to be pulled (which generally means rebuilt), plus the plethora of other cummins engine failures I've seen here in other model Bayliners. I have personally, myself been involved in four Cummins engine failures attributed to overloading. That is a huge number for one guy.

Same issues if you read Boat Diesel.com. Tony Athens has made a living selling replacement engines, and preaching about the suceptability of the Cummins 5.9L engine to overloading.

The only gripe I hear about Hino engines is the fact that repacement parts require some effort to obtain, Vs just calling Cummins Northwest for a Cummins part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: robster_in_edmonds

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com
Last Edit: by ksanders.

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 16:02 #17

  • smitty477
  • smitty477's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 5743
  • Thank you received: 966

Knot Happy wrote: I believe the core material change was a mid year switch. The early 97 was balsa core and sometime in 97 they switched to foam. I don't have much detail on it. It appears smitty477 has some other data specific to hull numbers that is different then what I found when researching. His information indicates the change was in 94. I do know that at least 1 1997 year model I looked at had core issues (soft saturated deck) and I was informed they changed the core materials in 97.


94 was the full model year change - apparently they did not get all the tooling switched over to the new design and used balsa in the first 6 units for the 47.
Myself and a few others here have owned 95 models and can assure you they were foam cored. There are also owners on site of 96 models that are foam cored , the confusion comes into play with the hull number where the switch took place in 1994.
I have a HVS tape produced by Bayliner demonstrating a 1995 hull being laid up with the foam core as well as some home tape we made at a factory visit that year.
All of the marketing brochures support those builds as I have most all of the early year copies.
Perhaps the single 97 exhibiting issues had some damage as there will still be intrusion of water if the skin is hit hard enough and causes cracking of the surface.
What was the boat name and location of that 1997?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knot Happy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Northport NY

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 16:06 #18

  • DryMartini
  • DryMartini's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 49
  • Thank you received: 2
Smitty:

Thanks for the information. I read the original post. It was one of the reasons we started to consider the 4788.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 16:28 #19

  • Knot Happy
  • Knot Happy's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Hmmmm
  • Posts: 99
  • Thank you received: 28
I am now curious on the stated Cummins engine failure rate. I did look into the Hino vs Cummins while shopping for our 47 and everything I read indicated both were excellent power plants. The Hino's likely do last longer as they typically produce less HP per cu in displacement. Simple laws of mechanics apply more HP implies higher stress loading on the machinery.

Being a data guy that I am I need to ask, Does anyone have a number of Cummins vs Hino engines used in Bayliners? If we are going to count Cummins failures in all Bayliner models the number is only relevant as a ratio. 6 failures in 25 years on 1,000 engines is not the same as 6 failures in 10 years on 100 engines. Need the same data for the Hino's otherwise this is anecdotal and only speculation.

What I did find is for Hino the parts are harder to find and expertise is less common. Most of the parts on the marine Cummins are readily available and easily acquired for reasonable price. If you are DIY (I am) the maintenance information is available and while they are different in some ways then on road use, a good mechanic from any diesel shop can work on the marine Cummins, a marine mechanic would be better though.

So this is still part of the trade off question.

The Hino I believe has a slight edge on durability, however they have a lot more hours on these engines already just due to being out there longer so that may be a neutralized advantage. They are a bit harder to get parts for and have a smaller pool of qualified mechanics. They also typically produce less HP that implies less speed if needed/desired.

The Cummins, (if properly maintained and not abused) should still provide 4K to 6k hours of life without need for remanufacture. It will have easier availability of parts and much larger pool of qualified mechanics. It produces higher power output so if that Extra 2 knots cruise and maybe 4 knot WOT is desired it has that advantage.

I would not be particularly afraid of either engine based on its specifications and design. the real question is how well was it maintained, look for maintenance logs, get oil samples taken, get coolant samples taken, get a blow by test done. A well maintained diesel can go many 1,000 hrs. A poor maintained and abused engine can fail after a few 100 hrs.

Back to the original question of decision criteria what made you choose a 45 vs 47. I felt the Cummins were better for a DIY situation as noted above I can find more technical support for them and parts are easier to find.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4788 PH 2001, Cummins 370's
2355 C Express, 1996 5L
17ft Cobra, 1985, 125HP

I just need two more feet ;-)
Last Edit: by Knot Happy.

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 17:02 #20

  • ksanders
  • ksanders's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 3341
  • Thank you received: 237

Knot Happy wrote: I am now curious on the stated Cummins engine failure rate. I did look into the Hino vs Cummins while shopping for our 47 and everything I read indicated both were excellent power plants. The Hino's likely do last longer as they typically produce less HP per cu in displacement. Simple laws of mechanics apply more HP implies higher stress loading on the machinery.

Being a data guy that I am I need to ask, Does anyone have a number of Cummins vs Hino engines used in Bayliners? If we are going to count Cummins failures in all Bayliner models the number is only relevant as a ratio. 6 failures in 25 years on 1,000 engines is not the same as 6 failures in 10 years on 100 engines. Need the same data for the Hino's otherwise this is anecdotal and only speculation.

What I did find is for Hino the parts are harder to find and expertise is less common. Most of the parts on the marine Cummins are readily available and easily acquired for reasonable price. If you are DIY (I am) the maintenance information is available and while they are different in some ways then on road use, a good mechanic from any diesel shop can work on the marine Cummins, a marine mechanic would be better though.

So this is still part of the trade off question.

The Hino I believe has a slight edge on durability, however they have a lot more hours on these engines already just due to being out there longer so that may be a neutralized advantage. They are a bit harder to get parts for and have a smaller pool of qualified mechanics. They also typically produce less HP that implies less speed if needed/desired.

The Cummins, (if properly maintained and not abused) should still provide 4K to 6k hours of life without need for remanufacture. It will have easier availability of parts and much larger pool of qualified mechanics. It produces higher power output so if that Extra 2 knots cruise and maybe 4 knot WOT is desired it has that advantage.

I would not be particularly afraid of either engine based on its specifications and design. the real question is how well was it maintained, look for maintenance logs, get oil samples taken, get coolant samples taken, get a blow by test done. A well maintained diesel can go many 1,000 hrs. A poor maintained and abused engine can fail after a few 100 hrs.

Back to the original question of decision criteria what made you choose a 45 vs 47. I felt the Cummins were better for a DIY situation as noted above I can find more technical support for them and parts are easier to find.


The cummins is a good power plant, if not overloaded. That is the key...not overloading the engine. Cummins used to recommend running the 330 hp engine at WOT -200 RPM. The problem is that Bayliner and several other manufacturers intentionally propped boats to barely make WOT of 2800 RPM with a fairly light load. Add some weight like hundreds of pounds of batteries, and 700 pounds of skiff, another bunch "personal stuff" and additional modifications, add some growth to the bottom, plus a full load of fuel and water tanks, and many boats find them at something significantly less than 2800 RPM at Wide Open Throttle. Take that same boat and set the RPM at 2600 regularly and you find that the boat is essentially being cruised regularly at very near full throttle, something that is not and has never been recommended.

This loading profile is well documented, and has resulted in a significant number of premature engine failures. The failure manifestation is typically a sudden loss of power, or an inability to make full power. A blow by test reveals excessive crankcase gasses due to combstion products bypassing the rings on one or more cylinders.

This thread is not really about the Cummins engine though. It is about the differences between the 45 and the 47 Bayliner. I started this track when I posted that if I had it to do all over again I would choose a older, Hino equipped boat, and pocket the money difference between it and a newer Cummins equipped boat. My apologies if my comments caused the thread to drift ff track :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com
Last Edit: by ksanders.

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 18:04 #21

  • smitty477
  • smitty477's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Posts: 5743
  • Thank you received: 966
Full disclosure - I have no marine engines now at all. No dog in this fight but I have worked on many Hino and Cummins boats so take the following as you would like....

'I am now curious on the stated Cummins engine failure rate. I did look into the Hino vs Cummins while shopping for our 47 and everything I read indicated both were excellent power plants. The Hino's likely do last longer as they typically produce less HP per cu in displacement. Simple laws of mechanics apply more HP implies higher stress loading on the machinery.'

The 315 Hino and 330 Cummins are just about equal if you use the same standards to rate hp - they are very close in displacement. If you do not advance the throttles than there is no hp demand. They come from an industrial based engine that tends to be run 24/7/365 - steel liners, oil sparges, dual lube filters, etc are a few reasons ....

"Being a data guy that I am I need to ask, Does anyone have a number of Cummins vs Hino engines used in Bayliners?
Hino's In all Bayliner models since 1983 34, 38, 45 and 47 up to and including parts of 1996.

"What I did find is for Hino the parts are harder to find and expertise is less common. Most of the parts on the marine Cummins are readily available and easily acquired for reasonable price."
Which parts are we speaking about? What expertise? Out here there are a few Hino's running around the street each day where I work, today the flatbed and the meat truck delivery was by a Hino truck with a 368 engine.

"If you are DIY (I am) the maintenance information is available and while they are different in some ways then on road use, a good mechanic from any diesel shop can work on the marine Cummins, a marine mechanic would be better though."
Likewise the HIno truck has a good following where we are. They will not put a Cummins 6b in a medium truck only a pickup , when they need the power like in flatbeds and bus applications they utilize the 6C Cummins.

"The Hino I believe has a slight edge on durability,"
I have seen HIno's in marine use that are smoking so bad from neglect you want to shoot the owners - they do not seem to fail in a big way unless you really torture them.

"however they have a lot more hours on these engines already just due to being out there longer so that may be a neutralized advantage."
They have been out there about twice the time in lineal years with many over 4,000 hours use now.

"They are a bit harder to get parts for and have a smaller pool of qualified mechanics."
Which parts - please advise.

"They also typically produce less HP that implies less speed if needed/desired."
How much hop do you utilize with your Cummins 6b's to cruise at your fastest speeds? I see no real difference in speeds.
We typically cruise at 17 knots with 9 # boost and EGT at 950 or less- max speed for test only was 22 knots +.

"The Cummins, (if properly maintained and not abused) should still provide 4K to 6k hours of life without need for remanufacture. It will have easier availability of parts and much larger pool of qualified mechanics. It produces higher power output so if that Extra 2 knots cruise and maybe 4 knot WOT is desired it has that advantage."
Please provide some background information here....

"I would not be particularly afraid of either engine based on its specifications and design. the real question is how well was it maintained, look for maintenance logs, get oil samples taken, get coolant samples taken, get a blow by test done. A well maintained diesel can go many 1,000 hrs. A poor maintained and abused engine can fail after a few 100 hrs.

I would be very careful overloading a Cummins 6b. I have pleaded with each owner (mostly Sea Rays) to add pyro and boost gages immediately and monitor tier EGT in real time. If excessive they need to pull down loads ASAP by repitching and/or finding the problem as it does not take too many hours before a failure occurs.

Much more information can be found at Tony Athens site sbmar(dot)com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Northport NY

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 20:18 #22

  • Knot Happy
  • Knot Happy's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Member
  • Junior Member
  • Hmmmm
  • Posts: 99
  • Thank you received: 28
It does appear that the intention of my reply may have been lost regarding the engines. The original post was a question on why an owner of one of the pilot houses would choose a 45 Vs a 47 given the large difference in price. I was sharing some of my thinking as to why I chose a 47, I concluded that for me (not trying to sell a Cummins to anyone else) that the Cummins engine was better suited to my DIY ability, as The Cummins did not come in the 45 this is therefore a decision criteria. If you conclude the Hino (a great poweplant) suits your need it is a great criteria for favoring the 45, or an early 47.

The purpose as I understand the thread is to bring forward some thoughts as to is the 47 worth the extra cost. My decision was based on many smaller things that for me added up. I gave serious consideration to a well maintained 45 with impeccable records, l crawled all over that boat, it was stored under cover, it had 4,000 hrs on the Hino engines for around $100,000. I finally went with a 47 at nearly twice that cost.

A final consideration was resale value. While the 47 is higher cost, I also expect it to hold a higher resale value.

The topic here struck very close to my personal experience as I had to answer this exact question for myself. For me I determined the 47 to be worth the higher cost.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4788 PH 2001, Cummins 370's
2355 C Express, 1996 5L
17ft Cobra, 1985, 125HP

I just need two more feet ;-)

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 21:55 #23

  • DryMartini
  • DryMartini's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 49
  • Thank you received: 2
The discussion on engines is helpful in making a decision. I boat on the upper Mississippi, and finding an experience diesel mechanic is difficult. Mechanics with experience with Hino truck engines are reluctant to work on marine engines. The discussion on overloading is something I never thought about. My understanding was that diesel engines should be run about 10% of the time at WOT. Maybe this is not true.

Another factor that was raised that I had not really considered is the true overall length of the boat. I have a 50' slip, and I am allowed to extend 3' beyond the fingers. What is the actual overall length of the 4788?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 22:58 #24

  • stargazerwa
  • stargazerwa's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 377
  • Thank you received: 28
There is an old thread on BOC for 4788 LOA, Owners reported 53' 2", 53' 3" and 53' 9" ( the last being a 490). At 53' your right there. Some have altered the pulpit to reduce the length to squeeze in a cheaper slip.

BTW our 1999 4788 with 370 Cummings have 4400 hours and are still going strong!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

4788 vs 4588 11 Jul 2017 23:37 #25

  • DryMartini
  • DryMartini's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 49
  • Thank you received: 2
It looks like length will not be a deciding factor. Availability may be the deciding factor and location. I would like a water route to my slip, which kind of removes the west coast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum