Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform?

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 27 Jun 2017 03:23 #26

• Michellekw
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 39
Yes we were. There was space between it and the transom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1991 57 Widebody Tollycraft "Solana"
Formerly:
Ladysmith, BC
Michelle

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 27 Jun 2017 23:28 #27

• Woodsong
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Why did hurley say their H30+ would not work with your 47? If you look on their website they have it shown on many boats that are smaller than your 47. I am measuring my platform tomorrow on my 45 to see if the H3) will work on my 45 to carry a sea doo spark for the kids to enjoy. I can't see why their H30 wouldn't work on a 45 or a 47 but I guess I'll find out once I get my platform measurements to them tomorrow.

~~1987 Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse & 17' Boston Whaler Dauntless~~

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 28 Jun 2017 03:59 #28

• guntar
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 9
On our 3988 we have sea-wise hydraulic. No effort to launch and retrieve. Some say it blocks the swim step but I can get around just fine. I carry a heavy dingy and it lifts it with ease. One thing I recommend is to reinforce the mounting points on the transom with 6x6 squares of fiberglass shims or King Starboard, or a composite. Helps spread the weight.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Guntar
1999 3988
Cummins 270s

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 28 Jun 2017 13:33 #29

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 619

guntar wrote: Some say it blocks the swim step but I can get around just fine.

I'm curious about your comment. From the photo it looks like your davit has a support arm that extends horizontally to the transom. Doesn't this block easy access to the port side of the swim step?

When we were shopping for a davit, the Sea Wise and the Weaver Hoist were my original choices. Then my wife and I looked at a number of boats similar to ours with these davits. In all cases they blocked access to one side of the swim step. We saw one boat with a Sea Wise davit that had a removable support arm; but the owner told us that Sea Wise recommended the support only be removed when the dinghy was down. This would not be acceptable to us in a docking situation. My wife wanted an unimpeded walkway. and we did not want to lower the dinghy before docking.

Our current setup with an Olsson ST-275 provides my wife unimpeded access to whichever side of the swim step we are docking on. She leaves the davit as-is, with the block and tackle on the port side, for starboard docking. For port docking she attaches a pre-made line to the starboard davit arm and a dedicated cleat. Then she disconnects the block and tackle by pulling the pin on a snap shackle. It all takes a few seconds.

The down side to the ST-275 is that it is not powered. It is manually raised and lowered using a block and tackle. I've actually looked at motorizing it and it would not be hard to do.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 10 Jul 2017 19:40 #30

• Technomadia
  • Technomadia's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6

Woodsong wrote: Why did hurley say their H30+ would not work with your 47? If you look on their website they have it shown on many boats that are smaller than your 47. I am measuring my platform tomorrow on my 45 to see if the H3) will work on my 45 to carry a sea doo spark for the kids to enjoy. I can't see why their H30 wouldn't work on a 45 or a 47 but I guess I'll find out once I get my platform measurements to them tomorrow.

This is what they told us:

"For up to 400 lbs, the standard H3O or H3O with extension would be ideal, but you just do not have enough room on your platform to make it work. With the standard H3O, the keel of your dinghy would sit right on the edge of the platform once you got it up, and going off of the 30 inches where your transom jets out, you do not have enough room for this alone. The H3O Extension pushes the keel out 6", but this only leaves you 5" of space to maneuver and I fear the bow of your dinghy along with the winch handle will hit your transom, blocking your ability to bring the dinghy up onto the davit."

That certainly didn't seem worth the risk to try.

We ordered a Dinghy Caddy instead - it should be here to install later this week.

- Chris

Chris & Cherie - www.technomadia.com
"Y-Not" - 1999 Bayliner 4788
"Zephyr" - 1961 GM PD4106 Vintage Bus RV Conversion

Full-Time nomads since 2006.
Now intending to spend half the year slowly doing the Great Loop in our 4788!

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 18 Jul 2017 21:07 #31

• Technomadia

Norton Rider wrote: You can see the setup in the photo below. The cleat on the left side of the picture is the one we use to tie off the davit if we are docking to port.

Our Dinghy Caddy arrived today, and we are going to tackle installing it tomorrow.

A few questions before we do...

Is your davit installed centered on your boat?

Do you always store the dinghy with the engine oriented the same way?

It is hard to tell from the picture you posted - how off-angle is the the starboard side cleat you use when docking to port? It seems like to get to the outside of the cockpit door, we'd actually need to tie off to the starboard stern line cleat. That would be a very off-angle for the rope to the davit - I wonder if that will ever be a problem, particularly if the weight of the engine is on the far unsupported side?

Thanks for sharing you wisdom and experience!

- Chris

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 19 Jul 2017 03:15 #32

• Norton Rider
  • Away

Technomadia wrote:

Norton Rider wrote: You can see the setup in the photo below. The cleat on the left side of the picture is the one we use to tie off the davit if we are docking to port.

Our Dinghy Caddy arrived today, and we are going to tackle installing it tomorrow.

A few questions before we do...

Is your davit installed centered on your boat?
Yes

Do you always store the dinghy with the engine oriented the same way?
Yes, the engine is on the port side of the mother ship.

It is hard to tell from the picture you posted - how off-angle is the the starboard side cleat you use when docking to port? It seems like to get to the outside of the cockpit door, we'd actually need to tie off to the starboard stern line cleat. That would be a very off-angle for the rope to the davit - I wonder if that will ever be a problem, particularly if the weight of the engine is on the far unsupported side?
On my boat the starboard cleat is offset laterally from the davit arm 6-8 inches. When we tie a line to this cleat and remove the block and tackle the opposite side of the davit flexes and lowers a bit. Since we only do this for slow speed maneuvering and while docked it hasn't been an issue. An alternative for your boat may be to install the extra cleat on the aft edge of the cockpit hardtop and line it up with the davit arm.

Incidentally, mount the davit pivots as close to the aft edge of the swim step as possible. This will help the dinghy clear the edge of the swim step as it is raised or lowered. On our boat we found that the dinghy rubs a bit against the swim ladder that's stowed under the swim step. Next time the boat is out of the water for bottom paint I am going to relocate the ladder so it is sideways and extends from one side of the swim step, rather than extending aft.

Thanks for sharing you wisdom and experience!

- Chris

The following user(s) said Thank You: Technomadia

Anacortes, WA
Last Edit: by Norton Rider.

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jul 2017 04:28 #33

• Technomadia
We got the Dinghy Caddy installed - and it seems to be a great fit.

For the moment, we are attaching the pulley to a ring that was on the back of the cockpit hardtop:

I am not sure I trust that ring to hold the full weight though while underway.

I do love the idea of mounting the two cleats they sent with the Caddy to the underside of the cockpit hardtop on both the port and starboard side - this will provide a more secure attachment point, will make it easy to switch which side the engine is on, and will make it easy to have both the pulley and bow support line always attached.

Best of all - it is high enough that we can still walk the swim platform to either side.

Yay!

BTW - have you figured out a good dinghy cover to keep rain out that works well with this type of davit?

Cheers,

- Chris

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jul 2017 04:56 #34

• kwb
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 87
I had a similar davit on my 38 - what I did was put two "bow eyes" on the transom just below the rub rail a bit wider than the davit. Between those eyes and the davit I had fixed length cables that I let the weight of the dink hang from. Making the cables pull at a bit of an angle made it pretty solid and prevented swinging side to side. It looks like the arms of the davit you have has places to clip onto for this sort of arrangement and would take all the load off of the cockpit top and not have risk of lowering itself if the block and tackle were to come untied.

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jul 2017 10:39 #35

• MacPhid
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Chris,

I installed our Dinghy Caddy a year ago, we use the block and tackle attached to a stern rail cleat to raise the dinghy, and then add the second snap to the other arm of the caddy and secure it to a second stern rail cleat. For safety lines, we use the dinghy''s bow line attached to the bow loop to the port side stern mooring cleat of the mother ship, and the dinghy's stern line attached to the starboard side stern mooring cleat of the mothership. It makes for a secure system with backup. I don't have a mooring cover, however I recommend pulling the drain plug from the dinghy while it's on the caddy. Because the platform on the 38 is low to the water, I have had water splash into the dinghy when running in following seas, having the plug out allows it to simply drain back out. We love our dinghy caddy, it's been super functional. I also use it as a solar panel mount when at anchor to supplement the two panels I have mounted on the radar arch.

James

1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
Lowrance Electronics!
MMSI
Boating on Georgian Bay

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jul 2017 14:55 #36

• Technomadia

kwb wrote: I had a similar davit on my 38 - what I did was put two "bow eyes" on the transom just below the rub rail a bit wider than the davit. Between those eyes and the davit I had fixed length cables that I let the weight of the dink hang from. Making the cables pull at a bit of an angle made it pretty solid and prevented swinging side to side. It looks like the arms of the davit you have has places to clip onto for this sort of arrangement and would take all the load off of the cockpit top and not have risk of lowering itself if the block and tackle were to come untied.

The reason I am contemplating only securing the davit to the cockpit top is to keep the swim platform open for exiting to either side.

Good idea having a bit of an angle, to minimize swinging.

Cheers,

- Chris

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jul 2017 15:39 #37

• sailorman3
  • Thank you received: 7
Someone mentioned they checked with the Bayliner dealer who said it was not a good idea to put a dingy on the back of the swim platform because of the additional weight aft. I think this is a legitimate concern.

On the 4788 most people install a generator, add additional batteries to the house bank, fill the fuel tanks, and put storage items in the rear of the boat. The result is the back of the boat is a lot lower in the water than the boat was designed for.

My concern is that the holes in the transom for the scupper drains become at or near the water line. These drains were not designed to be under water thru hulls. There are no shut off valves on them. The drain lines are not very robust and do not have double hose clamps.

Now you add the additional weight of a dingy mounted at the far rear of the boat and the drain holes are even lower.

I am afraid this is creating a situation were there may be a possibility of sinking the boat.

It is unfortunate that Bayliner put these drain holes where they did.

I think the Bayliner dealer was right, it is not a good idea to mount the dingy to the swim platform.

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jul 2017 18:21 #38

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 966

sailorman3 wrote: Someone mentioned they checked with the Bayliner dealer who said it was not a good idea to put a dingy on the back of the swim platform because of the additional weight aft. I think this is a legitimate concern.

On the 4788 most people install a generator, add additional batteries to the house bank, fill the fuel tanks, and put storage items in the rear of the boat. The result is the back of the boat is a lot lower in the water than the boat was designed for.

My concern is that the holes in the transom for the scupper drains become at or near the water line. These drains were not designed to be under water thru hulls. There are no shut off valves on them. The drain lines are not very robust and do not have double hose clamps.

Now you add the additional weight of a dingy mounted at the far rear of the boat and the drain holes are even lower.

I am afraid this is creating a situation were there may be a possibility of sinking the boat.

It is unfortunate that Bayliner put these drain holes where they did.

I think the Bayliner dealer was right, it is not a good idea to mount the dingy to the swim platform.

Yes this is a potential issue when adding weight astern , and it was me who was concerned. It is an issue that becomes worse when boating in fresh water as well. The OP has it covered in his case so we helped as best we can.

Northport NY

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jul 2017 23:29 #39

• kwb
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Technomadia wrote:

kwb wrote: I had a similar davit on my 38 - what I did was put two "bow eyes" on the transom just below the rub rail a bit wider than the davit. Between those eyes and the davit I had fixed length cables that I let the weight of the dink hang from. Making the cables pull at a bit of an angle made it pretty solid and prevented swinging side to side. It looks like the arms of the davit you have has places to clip onto for this sort of arrangement and would take all the load off of the cockpit top and not have risk of lowering itself if the block and tackle were to come untied.

The reason I am contemplating only securing the davit to the cockpit top is to keep the swim platform open for exiting to either side.

Good idea having a bit of an angle, to minimize swinging.

Cheers,

- Chris

I haven't looked at the top on the 47 to know if you could put the eyes up there and do the same thing but you can probably make something work with the right backing plate strategy and walk under. The step on my 38 was too narrow for the davit and it came up against the transom to get the boat up far enough.

I have since changed the swimstep and now have something like the original hurley that lets me just slide the dink up onto the step and let it sit flat there. I can walk past the 8.5' RIB when stowed there. I can't do the same with the 12'.

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 22 Jul 2017 02:27 #40

• Norton Rider
  • Away

Technomadia wrote: ... BTW - have you figured out a good dinghy cover to keep rain out that works well with this type of davit? ...

As you have probably noticed, the downside of a tilt davit is that water will collect in the dinghy, even with the drain plug removed. If I get a lot of water in the dinghy I remove the plug and lower the davit halfway so the dinghy is not tilted. This will allow most of the water to drain out. Incidentally, the only time that I've gotten water in the dinghy while running was when we forgot to pull in an aft fender. It appears that the fender diverted some of the water spray straight into the dinghy.

I had a custom cover made by a local canvas maker and it works very well. The cover has elastic shock cord sewn all around. It also has one strap in the middle with buckles that runs from the hem on one side to the hem on the other side. I pull the strap around the bottom of the dinghy and snap it tight . The top of the cover has holes for the lifting cables (chains in your case) with straps and buckles that go around the davit arms. This keeps the cover "tented" and allows the water to drain off. Lastly, the canvas maker sewed a pocket for the outboard motor handle. See the photo below.

Anacortes, WA
Last Edit: by Norton Rider.

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 23 Jul 2017 17:04 #41

• baylineguy
  • Thank you received: 18
Dinghy Caddy looks like a good system. I'm curious what the cost is and how difficult it is to install? Comparing the Dinghy Caddy to the Olssen ST-275 system, the Caddy is rated for 400 lb load compared to only 275 lbs with the Olssen davit. Yet, the 2 main support tubes look to be about the same size on both of them. Has anyone seen them side by side, are the Caddy tubes larger?

1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 28 Aug 2017 17:21 #42

• Technomadia
Our dinghy caddy cost a bit over $2,000 - and wasn't hard at all for two people to install with just a few hours of sweat.

Overall so far we are very impressed with it.

But I have never seen an Olssen ST-275 in person.

Cheers,
- Chris

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 30 Aug 2017 13:59 #43

• guntar
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 9
When the dingy is stowed you can get to the port side by either going over or under the support brackets behind the pedestal. With the dingy launched the arm retracts and no obstacle.

Guntar
1999 3988
Cummins 270s

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 30 Aug 2017 14:57 #44

• Norton Rider
  • Away

guntar wrote: When the dingy is stowed you can get to the port side by either going over or under the support brackets behind the pedestal. With the dingy launched the arm retracts and no obstacle.

My wife was not comfortable going over or under support arms, especially during docking. Moreover, it would be a PITA when docked on the side of the support arms with the dinghy up. This is why we did not go with a Seawise.

Anacortes, WA

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 30 Sep 2017 13:44 #45

• Arocheleau
  • Thank you received: 4
We put a Hurley H30 on our 4588 we love it. Grant it. A extra foot on the platform would be fantastic,( already planned as a "next years job") but we are still able to use the Hurley with no real problems. Once you get into the grove of knowing how far up to crank it and where the sweet spot is for rotating it. She's a breeze. Easy on and easy off. We carry a 11 Avon with 15 hp motor. It does have built in starboard seats that hold the gas can, spare paddles and a battery for a auto bilge. Other then that it's a standard run of the mill set up and weight.

This message has attachments images.

Al & Sherri
4588 Pilothouse
M.V. Mia Cara

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 07 Oct 2017 16:21 #46

• riverguy42
  • Thank you received: 10
I would heartily recommend staying with some kind of tip-up system and as lightweight of a dinghy/motor combo as you can manage, for a number of reasons. First, I don't believe that the swim platform on the 4788s is all that robust, the expectation of the designers was that the dinghy would go up top. Our 2001 4788 swim platform is a bit 'wimpy' so consider the loading. Second, the tip-up system moves the weight of the dinghy as far forward as possible. Our 4788 is already a bit heavy in the aft (due in part to an inverter installation that utilized 4 x 8D batteries back there) and she sits almost 2" lower at the stern than our neighbor's 1998 4788, so I'm glad our dink is up top. Finally, when you tip the dinghy down into the water it remains firmly attached to the swim platform and it is VERY safe to get in and out of even when someone wakes you at your anchorage.

Bottom line -- whether your swim platform is beefy or not, the less weight you have back there the better, and the further forward the weight is, the better.

The best system I found is sadly no longer in production -- the St. Croix tip-ups bolt directly to the floor of the dink at the forward end and so unlike the Weavers, there are no glue pads on the tubes. We had this system on our Bayliner 3258 and also have it on our Mainship 390 -- absolutely love it and hopefully someone now makes something similar. If you do wind up going the tip-up route, consider trying to find a good used 2-stroke outboard. First, they are much lighter than an equivalent powered 4-stroke, and second, the 2-stroke can stay on the transom when you tip-up because it doesn't have oil in the crank-case and therefore doesn't mind being in an inverted position.

Good luck!

St. Croix Tip Up

RiverGuy's Fleet:

2001 Bayliner 4788
2003 Mainship 390 (available for Charter)
2000 Bayliner 3258 (just sold!)

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 07 Oct 2017 22:19 #47

• kwb
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I think if you really look at the CG of the dink - tipped or flat is about the same or within an inch or two. I like having it in the flat for a couple reasons first being you can see with it down on the step instead of tipped up to be a 5' wall across the back. Second is that things can stay in the dink and don't need secondary stowage spaces on the mothership.

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 08 Oct 2017 01:04 #48

• Norton Rider
  • Away

riverguy42 wrote: The best system I found is sadly no longer in production -- the St. Croix tip-ups bolt directly to the floor of the dink at the forward end and so unlike the Weavers, there are no glue pads on the tubes.

The Weaver heavy duty tilt davits are not glued to the tubes. The bolt on to the floor and transom: www.weaverindustries.com/index.cfm/produ...uty-davit-system.htm
The following user(s) said Thank You: riverguy42

Anacortes, WA

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 08 Oct 2017 14:50 #49

• riverguy42
  • Thank you received: 10
Thanks! I had not seen these before and I've seen dozens of them in the field. Are they new?

RiverGuy's Fleet:

2001 Bayliner 4788
2003 Mainship 390 (available for Charter)
2000 Bayliner 3258 (just sold!)

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 08 Oct 2017 15:02 #50

• Norton Rider
  • Away

riverguy42 wrote: Thanks! I had not seen these before and I've seen dozens of them in the field. Are they new?

They've been around for many years.

Anacortes, WA
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds