Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Boat fire

Boat fire 18 May 2017 01:45 #101

• Norton Rider
  • Thank you received: 622
Conventional life rafts are really intended for use when a boat sinks, so they are normally placed higher up (cockpit top, etc) or on the forward deck.

Revere and Winslow make lightweight, coastal life rafts for two to eight people that weigh 15 to 28 lb. Keep in mind that these life rafts do not have canopies, insulated floors, or large ballast pockets. They are intended for light seas and warmer water temperatures.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Boat fire 18 May 2017 01:50 #102

• Woodsong
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 14
This is a sobering thread. I am so sorry for your loss but I am glad to hear everyone is safe and no one was injured or worse. Boats and possessions can be replaced.
On a previous boat, a 1983 Monk 36 trawler I had renovated, a $5 9v battery powered fire alarm saved my boat from a major fire. We had the shore power to generator power switch fail. We were just going out for a night cruise at the time. The back of the power panel had an access door via the forward stateroom storage locker. I had placed a fire alarm there in the space behind the electrical panel there via that storage locker access. 50' from the dock as we pulled out towards entrance of the marina, to my shock that fire alarm started going off! I jumped down to the forward stateroom and opened the access door...smoke was just starting to come from the back of that power selector switch as it failed. If I had not had that $5 fire alarm there it would have gotten pretty serious pretty quickly. I was able to shut down the 110V electrical and stopped it from escalating but had I not had that $5 fire alarm from walmart, who knows what kind of fire would have broken out. Next day we replaced that 110v selector switch to a new one and problem solved on that boat. My bayliner has 4-5 of those cheap battery smoke detectors on the boat- including the engine room. The alarms may not help in all situations but every little bit of warning may help. It sure can't hurt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: davesisk, Wort123, Technomadia

~~1987 Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse & 17' Boston Whaler Dauntless~~
Last Edit: by Woodsong.

Boat fire 18 May 2017 01:53 #103

• RDOIII
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 24

mmichellich wrote: Thinking of buying two Gumby suits, in lieu of an open cheap life raft.

We have two survival suits - think it is good solution for a couple.
We have them on the FB so they are not trapped in the boat.
And we have practiced getting into them - very important Can be done in under a minute.
RDOIII

Boat fire 18 May 2017 01:57 #104

• robster_in_edmonds
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 241
By the way, lost in the shuffle there was a remark about insurance. Lots of people forget that in your yacht/boat insurance policy you cover the value of your boat in one coverage, and the value of your personal property in another coverage. The OP said "his insurance company" only valued his stuff at $5,000. I take that to mean that his coverage was for $5,000.

Tally up all of the stuff that you normally have on the boat when you take it out for a week-long trip. Laptops, iPads, phones, clothes, extra bedding, crab pots, fishing gear, downriggers, and so on. If you had to go out and buy all of that stuff, brand new, how much money would it take? It's easy to underestimate it.

I have a friend with a boat policy with a well-known company (rhymes with "aggressive") who had two new kayaks stolen off his boat. They refused coverage as part of the boat (because a kayak is not technically affixed to the boat), and they also refused coverage as personal property (because the kayaks had HIN numbers). They suggested he should have had separate boat policies for each kayak! Too bad he had to lose the kayaks before finding this out.

Sorry to devolve this into another "understand your insurance policy" thread. Back to your normal programming.

Rob Meldrum
Commodore, Edmonds Yacht Club (2014-2015)
"Miss Maui" * 1997 Bayliner 4788 * Cummins 330s

Boat fire 18 May 2017 02:38 #105

• ksanders
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 237
Here is a photo of our liferaft in ther cockpit of our 4788

Not in the way, and very quickly deployable.

Sorry the cockpit is a bit dirty from our long winter. It's still early in our season and I havent had a nice day yet to wash the outside of the boat.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com
Last Edit: by ksanders.

Boat fire 18 May 2017 15:17 #106

• rogerkarenorth
  • Thank you received: 12
Alert - checkout the cost of maintenance for the raft before purchase. We have had a 6-person Wilson for years, but the service cost each 3 years has increased from $800 to about $1500. Cheaper to buy a new raft?

1997 4788 with Cummins 5.9 (315 hp)
12 ft Rendova with 40 hp Merc 4 cycle
Pacific NW

Boat fire 18 May 2017 17:44 #107

• donzi
  • Thank you received: 8
Although this is not a cost effective way to address the issue, my hope is that it will allow for a quick evacuation if a problem arrises. We have a TNT lift (picture attached) on the back of our boat. That being said, the hydraulics are operated by an electric switch on the transom. Because of this post, I've now made an inquiry with TNT to make the manual release accessible without having to lift the rear hatches.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Jason M.
Bellevue, Washington
4788 "Third Day"
Cummins 330's
Last Edit: by donzi.

Boat fire 18 May 2017 18:15 #108

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 358

rogerkarenorth wrote: Alert - checkout the cost of maintenance for the raft before purchase. We have had a 6-person Wilson for years, but the service cost each 3 years has increased from $800 to about $1500. Cheaper to buy a new raft?

Unless you are a boat for hire, why pay to service the raft, all they do is blow it up, check the air canister and replace any out of date goods then certify it.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Boat fire 18 May 2017 18:17 #109

• boatworkfl
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 358

robster_in_edmonds wrote: By the way, lost in the shuffle there was a remark about insurance. Lots of people forget that in your yacht/boat insurance policy you cover the value of your boat in one coverage, and the value of your personal property in another coverage. The OP said "his insurance company" only valued his stuff at $5,000. I take that to mean that his coverage was for $5,000.

Tally up all of the stuff that you normally have on the boat when you take it out for a week-long trip. Laptops, iPads, phones, clothes, extra bedding, crab pots, fishing gear, downriggers, and so on. If you had to go out and buy all of that stuff, brand new, how much money would it take? It's easy to underestimate it.

I have a friend with a boat policy with a well-known company (rhymes with "aggressive") who had two new kayaks stolen off his boat. They refused coverage as part of the boat (because a kayak is not technically affixed to the boat), and they also refused coverage as personal property (because the kayaks had HIN numbers). They suggested he should have had separate boat policies for each kayak! Too bad he had to lose the kayaks before finding this out.

Sorry to devolve this into another "understand your insurance policy" thread. Back to your normal programming.

He should have said those were some of our life rafts

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Boat fire 18 May 2017 19:02 #110

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381

RDOIII wrote:

mmichellich wrote: Thinking of buying two Gumby suits, in lieu of an open cheap life raft.

And we have practiced getting into them - very important Can be done in under a minute.
RDOIII

I agree, good solution, 99 times out of 100 it is just the 2 of us on board. What survival suits did you purchase? When I looked there are tons avail from $300 to $1000 each. Do they come with waterproof bags (to keep them dry in the raining weather).

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996
Last Edit: by mmichellich.

Boat fire 18 May 2017 20:01 #111

• nick4588
  • Thank you received: 2
A reply to Alan Teed's post about the Revere life raft -
We have this raft on our 4588. It is in the valeise bag and we store it under the flybridge seat. This bag is heavy, Also expect to spend 600 to 700 every three to four years for re-certifing. The facility will inflate the raft, replace expired items, repack and put it back in a vacuum sealed bag. Yes it seems spendy but what's your life worth?

Nick Patterson
1989 Bayliner 4588 Stockton, CA
Last Edit: by nick4588.

47 Fire 19 May 2017 00:56 #112

• carters cove
  • carters cove's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6

ksanders wrote:

carters cove wrote: Maybe 5 minutes. Wasted 3 trying to get the dingy off. Besides loosing power the side of the davit is the side of the fire
You can't use dingy for a life raft if it's on top of your boat and you need a davit. There were three of us and we couldn't get it off.

carters cove wrote: I don't believe a camera would have helped. I got there quickly but couldn't lift the floor board without a torch of flames shooting out. Dry chemical did no good.

THANKS for the indformation Dave!!

Just a couple of quick follow up questions...

1. Do you think, given the situation that happened to you that having a liferaft on your 4788 in the cockpit would have been effective?
2. Do you think that having smoke detectors in the engine space would have provided you with more time to escape?

Thanks again! I am glad everyone is safe!

If I was to have a life raft I would put it on the upper deck. In a fire or sinking go up is the best escape. Especially with an engine room fire. And remember the fire will spread quickly to the aft deck. And also my batteries were under the stb hatch at the bottom of the ladder. So throwing a raft off the top would best in my mind.
If there's an explosion or a fuel fire it will be quick. I guess you could have an electrical fire where there might be smoke first A camera might help
The following user(s) said Thank You: Relationship

2001 4788
1991 4387
Twin Hino 250
Don't let anyone steal your happy
Capt. Dave

Boat fire 20 May 2017 00:53 #113

• RDOIII
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 24

mmichellich wrote:

RDOIII wrote:

RDOIII

I agree, good solution, 99 times out of 100 it is just the 2 of us on board. What survival suits did you purchase? When I looked there are tons avail from $300 to $1000 each. Do they come with waterproof bags (to keep them dry in the raining weather).

Bought two Imperial from Hamilton Marine - about $300 each
In bag that we keep under dash on flybridge
In talking with staff they recommended these as very good and best value - a lot of fisherman reported to buy them
Them seem really well made to me - link below (hope it works)

shop.hamiltonmarine.com/products/surviva...-imperial-44514.html

RDO
The following user(s) said Thank You: mmichellich

Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds