Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 4788 Solar Panel Placement?

4788 Solar Panel Placement? 16 Aug 2017 13:37 #26

• lolar3288
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35
For questions about the actual solar panels and controllers you may find this form helpful.

forum.solar-electric.com/discussion/3521...oller-and-all-to-use

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Larry

4788 Solar Panel Placement? 16 Aug 2017 15:39 #27

• redskyjoe
  • Thank you received: 23

TenMile wrote:

kspellman02 wrote: The Solbian and other soft panels were about 3X the cost of rigid panels so we opted out on those. A pair of 295w 36v Solarworld panels are what we used along with a Midnite Solar Classic MPPT controller. 660ah battery bank is usually fully charged by around 1pm and the float keeps them topped off so that by morning we are still at 12.4/12.5v on the bank. Pictures show how we mounted the panels, most of the weight is on the 1" thick wall tubing. Not as pretty as I would like but very functional. Love the extra shade on the upper salon!

Curious if you looked into adding a "dump load" given that your system sits idle? I believe the Midnite Solar controllers can direct load once the batteries are fully charged. Might be interesting to add a DC Water Heating element to your water heater as the dump load. Cuts down on any power required to make hot water that way.

I am installing a solar panel right now. I wanted something in place on short notice so did have to compromise on the panel due to availability. I have only room for a single panel so decided to go with a 72 cell (78" x 39") , 36v panel. I would have preferred to go with monocrystalline but had to compromise and settled for a poly instead. Hopefully the lesser efficiency of the poly won't be noticeable. I hard mounted the panel yesterday and put a meter on the MC4 ends attached to the pane and got 41.5vdc and 8.0Amps output. This was at 2 pm but with a high overcast shading the sun but still plenty bright out. I was quite happy with that. Today I will hook up the charge controller ( EPever, 30A MPPT), breakers and remote MT 50 panel. This MPPT does have a "load" output that I thought I would have to leave unused, but you gave me a good idea for it's use in a future upgrade.

4788 Solar Panel Placement? 19 Aug 2017 13:43 #28

• lolar3288
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 35
What was your current output after the MPPT controller at 13.?? volts?

Larry

4788 Solar Panel Placement? 01 Oct 2017 00:51 #29

• Damorsoft
  • Thank you received: 7

lolar3288 wrote: What voltage are your panels? Please post the improvement you get when you change to a MPPT controller. I would be interested in the actually gain compared to what I have experienced.

My current pretty well doubled across the board. When solar panel is pushing out 7 amps controller is at 13.5+, did not see 8.5 amps at panel as the sun is now getting lower in the sky, maybe next June.
The panel is 30.5 volts 8.58 amps

The controller is the midnite Solar Kid 30amps MPPT, reallly works good and fun to watch.

1988 3870
Hino 4 cyl 210 turbos (upgrade)
Hull extension

4788 Solar Panel Placement? 04 Oct 2017 19:23 #30

• kspellman02
  • kspellman02's Avatar Topic Author
  • Bayliner 4788, Leopard 40, Bayliner 3988
  • Thank you received: 3
Redskyjoe - You went with pretty much the same panel we did, although ours was Mono. I had wanted Poly because they provide better output when shaded (we had a sailing catamaran that shaded our 4 poly panels with mast, boom etc. but the poly handled the shading quite nicely) however I am very happy with the higher voltage mono panels. Output is great and it starts very early in the day so we are charging at first light! There are lots of options for the dump load, would be curious what you are thinking?

We have No Plan and we're sticking to it...,
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds