Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 21 Feb 2017 21:36 #26

• Johnny Vintage
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 104
Our 38 came with a manual Sea Wise system and a PVC Zodiac with a 15 hp Merc 2 stroke. The Zodiac was done so I bought a Hypalon Avon RIB after listening to all the Hype about Hypolan. I could have got the exact same tender made by Zodiac out of PVC but spend the extra money for the Hypalon and I sure wish I had not.

It's a great little boat but a real pain to keep clean. I keep a boat cover on it. I bought the next size up and cover the hull and the tubes from the backside. It's not easy to put on but sure helps keeping it clean, I bought a small trailer so I could bring it home during the winter.

I use Avalon products to keep the tubes as clean as I can but it's still a pain.

The Sea Wise is the way to go but like others have said, Stupid Expensive. I work at a Stainless Steel manufacturer and I can tell you that the price they charge is more than double of what it should be. But they all are semi custom so I guess that counts for something.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 21 Feb 2017 21:38 #27

• Johnny Vintage
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 104
I just got FLOOD PROTECTED :woohoo:

Makes me feel like I'm in Californie!!

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 22 Feb 2017 04:36 #28

• Timcup
  • Thank you received: 10
That is why I like the Livingstons or bullfrogs. Easy to keep clean and almost no maintenance.

Craig
Nanaimo bc
1987 bayliner 3818
w/ 175 Hinos no Genny, but solar to run everything!
10ft Livingston with centre console and 15hp on davits / winch

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 24 Feb 2017 20:08 #29

• fastinated
  • Teakaboo
  • Thank you received: 7
We got the Kingston davits a few months ago. Using what's included with the kit and our 400lb dinghy. The transom didn't like it. It was pushing in the back and pulling the cap up off the hull. I had to go in and glass the whole cap at the transom and run a rig to the roof of the salon. Once I get it done it will be sweet, but it is not a plug and play. Probably b/c the dinghy is a tad bit heavy on one end. But I ordered it from Canada and with the exchange rates at the time was a great deal. With these davits I can remove them when at anchor so they won't affect the swim platform is why we went with these. You can see them in my avatar. This was the first trial and after seeing what was happening to the transom we towed. It will be a nice setup when I nerd it out for a bit.

1985 3870 175hp Hino's
Last Edit: by fastinated.

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 26 Feb 2017 18:57 #30

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
New Hurley H30, any one of us got one on their rear end?

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 26 Feb 2017 23:37 #31

• MacPhid
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 63

Norton Rider wrote:

kev_rm wrote: That is a freaking awesome setup - thanks for posting! What was cost?

I got mine from Craigslist for $150. You may want to contact Olsson to find out the price for the ST-275: www.boatdavit.com . There's also another company (Canadian?) that makes a copy.

I'm using the Canadian version, very happy with it. Great quality construction, some nice unique features.

www.dinghycaddy.com/

James

1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
Lowrance Electronics!
MMSI
Boating on Georgian Bay

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Aug 2017 02:55 #32

• Ahaua
  • Thank you received: 11
I'm currently looking for the best davit system for our 3988. I recently purchased a 10'4" Achilles RIB with Euro Helm and weight is approximately 380 lbs. Just like you, I'm a leaning towards an electric tilt davit vs. Seawise or Weaver. The tilt davit system I'm looking at is rated for about 425 lbs. so it should work. Any comments would be appreciated since you've had your tilt davit for a while now.

Thanks!,

Alex

Alex
Orange County, Ca.
2001 3988
Twin Cummins 330's
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds