Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Feb 2017 15:47 #1

• ctbarbarian
  • ctbarbarian's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Any suggestions for a dinghy, and davit system, beam is 13.6
KISS please

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Feb 2017 15:52 #2

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 966
"KISS please"

I have 'tipped' various airdeck inflatables up onto the swim-step and just tied them there utilizing one bolt with an "O" opening on the top.
The dingy motors went into the engine room on the 38 we owned inside the door just to the left of the battery boxes.
We used a boat hook to pull the dinghy up and 'tip' it as well as let it down.
Simple as it comes.....

Northport NY

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Feb 2017 16:44 #3

• ctbarbarian
  • ctbarbarian's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks, I wondered about doing that .
any suggestions as to what dingy ? I was looking
at hyperlon dinghys at West Marine.
Want to buy a 6 or 9 hp yamaha for motor

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Feb 2017 17:05 #4

• WesRenfrew
Store it up on the bow, we disconnect the wire railing and pull it up and strap the dinghy down, We installed a kicker mount on the stern and store the kicker there.

Wes Renfrew
"About Time"
1983 Bayliner 3870
Twin Cummins 6BTA (315hp)

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Feb 2017 17:15 #5

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 383
How many people does it need to accommodate and what will you use it for?
I had an 8 foot inflatable that was easy to put on the swim grid, easy to lift onto the bow by myself. But, i couldn't stand or fish from it. Now I have a 10' Livingston. I have rid holders and s pot puller on it and can stand in it. Problem is it's over 200 pounds and awkward to lift onto the bow by myself. So I have swimgrid davits. It blocks the swim ladder so I need to get a new one that works while the dinghy is there. Not safe if I fall in and can't put my ladder down. Plus I have to put my dinghy down to use the ladder when I scuba dive.
Go as small as possible.

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Feb 2017 17:32 #6

• bvkstoy
  • Salt Lick
  • Thank you received: 1
PLEASE DO NOT BLOCK THE ESCAPE HATCH ON THE BOW.... or any other escape hatches.
In our harbor a few years ago, a very nice couple died from doing this. They had their dinghy strapped down over their front hatch. They were in their boat house on the boat working on their engines when a fire broke out, and It engulfed the back of the boat. They tried to go out their escape hatch, but with the dinghy tied over the hatch they could not. By the time someone could get there it was to late. I have seen so many boats owners do this and when I talk to them and tell them this true story, they suddenly reevaluate.

Brian & Sherri
Lori Ann - AKA "Salt Lick"
1989 - 3870 (Love It)
Hino Powered, BYC Member
San Juan Islands and Beyond.
Cheers, Safe Boating to All.

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Feb 2017 17:56 #7

• oldcrow
  • Thank you received: 17
11 ft with a 50hp yamaha

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

1984 3870 bayliner

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Feb 2017 18:23 #8

• Uncle Bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 132
The grid is screwed in, not bolted so there is weight to consider. If you go with a 10'6 inflatable with an aluminum hull you will minimize weight. Then you could use a Weaver davit. Taking a motor on and off is a nuisance A swivel outboard mount will solve that: tinyurl.com/zmosmne
Consider Hypalon is easier to keep clean than PVC. If you can justify the cost look at seawisemarine.com/ My Seawise easily deals with my 10.6 AB (with fiberglass hull, steering station and 25hp)
Whatever you do, at next haul-out check the grid attachment to ensure it is solid.

1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Feb 2017 19:54 #9

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
A 9' Mercury airdeck tipped up on the swim step - same as we had on our 38' Bayliner.
This one is PVC and is about 62 #'s - we have had others which we did the same drill with.

This image is hidden for guests.

Northport NY

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Feb 2017 19:58 #10

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
We have had over 15 inflatables of various sizes, this is from an older post we made a while back....

Some other generalities about PVC and Hypalon that we have experienced .
Hypalon – tougher in feel, lower inflated pressure, heavier, more UV proof, costlier, loses some air over time.
PVC – Holds air better , easier to clean, benefits more from cover if in sun, lighter, easier to damage.
If you are losing air on a reasonable quality PVC boat it is likely in the air valves and not through the fabric.
Hope this helps.

Northport NY

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Feb 2017 20:09 #11

• mlewis100
  • 1995 Bayliner 3587
  • Thank you received: 55
I struggled with this choice over the last year.
Started out (many years ago) using a 8' 6" ultralight aluminum rib with weaver snap davits and stand offs.
I was getting tired of lifting the 8HP 2 stroke every time and found a good buy on a weaver engine lever as well as a transom arc support.
This worked well for a number of years...
The time came to upgrade the mother ship from a 25' to a 35' so likewise the dinghy was upgraded from the 8' 6" to a 10' 6".
The weaver system had work quite well so the thought was to transfer this system over to new dinghy.
The existing weaver system work okay but the following issues were discovered:
1. The 8' 6" dinghy increased in weight from 150-170 lbs (dinghy 60lbs+O/B 60lbs+weaver gear40lbs?+gas tank 20 lbs). The 10' 6" dinghy (F/G rib) is up over 250 lbs.
2. The mechanical force require to pivot and secure the dinghy did have some challenges in my application, especially with point #3.
3. Not having a front arc caused binding when pivoting the dinghy upwards and the greater support is needed on the front of the dinghy.

This became the to point where I had to add more bolt on/glue on pieces onto the dinghy or choose an alternate solution.
I choose an alternate solution. I decided I did not want the complication of more bolt on and glue on components, a clean dinghy that can be loaded easily or any dinghy for that matter without any special pieces.
I also determined that I wanted to be able to use the swim platform when the dinghy is in use at the least.
I choose to go with the Hurley davit system. hurleymarine.com/
I managed to find a good buy on the traditional Hurley davit locally.
The down sides; it does add overall length to the boat which has to be accounted for but other than that it seems like a good system so far.
No additional lifting systems are required and the weight is still low on the boat. The dinghy centerline is on the same centerline when the dinghy was on the weaver davits.
There are many dinghy storage systems out there, the correct one is the one that works best for you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: freedre

1995 Bayliner 3587
Twin Hino 250HP
Located In Sidney BC, Canada
Last Edit: by mlewis100. Reason: Added info

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Feb 2017 21:03 #12

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 622
When we bought the 3788 my wife and I wanted to be able to load the tender on a davit without taking the motor off. We also wanted to be able to use the swimstep while docking from either side, without lowering the tender.. This second requirement ruled out Seawise and Weaver. The Seawise Davit uses standoffs that go from the pedestal to the transom, effectively blocking off one side of the swimstep: seawisemarine.com/wordpress/wp-content/u...5-e1426729449293.jpg . The Weaver blocks the swimstep with the arm that pulls the dinghy, as well as the motor: www.boatus.com/Assets/www.boatus.com/mag...g/swing-up-davit.jpg .

We finally settled on an Olsson The ST-275 Tilt Davit. This davit is attached to the aft end of the swimstep. Even with the davit up, one can walk between it and the transom. The only barrier is the block and tackle used to pull the davit up. We solved this issue by adding a second cleat to the top of the transom, on the opposite side as the block and tackle. In our case the block and tackle is on the port side. If we are going to dock to port we attach a line from the starboard arm of the davit to the starboard cleat and remove the block and tackle. If we are docking to starboard, we do not need to do anything:
cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-biq04i/g4pylxu8/p...36.1280.1280.JPG?c=2
www.boatdavit.com/Home/Details/2

Incidentally, do not store an outboard motor in the engine compartment, or the lazarette if it is connected to the engine or generator compartment. The motor can leak gasoline and cause a fire hazard. This is particularly dangerous on a diesel boat since the electrical components are not normally ignition protected.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Technomadia

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Feb 2017 21:51 #13

• asaxet
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46
i run a caribe c12, nice bow seat storage, use weaver heavy duty system, run a 40 two stroke and leave the engine on the caribe... super quick to deploy...

the weaver system is hard mounted to the bow seat bulkhead and transom.... no dink sag when the tubes eventually deflate...

Uff Da, 1993, 3888 in SFO Bay
Raymarine C series/EV-100 AP
Hino W04C-TI 210hp
Home Port , Woodmont Beach, WA
Last Edit: by asaxet.

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Feb 2017 23:22 #14

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
"Incidentally, do not store an outboard motor in the engine compartment, or the lazarette if it is connected to the engine or generator compartment. The motor can leak gasoline and cause a fire hazard"
What I have always done is to disconnect the fuel line to the engine and let the engine run dry - better for the engine and easy to store.

Northport NY

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 16 Feb 2017 23:30 #15

• Jim Gandee
  • Retired Fireman, Los Angeles
  • Thank you received: 181
Nothing, but nothing beats the convenience of the hydraulic Seawise davit system IMO! Push a toggle switch and your dink (and engine) is launched, toggle the switch the other direction and the dink (and engine ) are stowed. There is no back breaking lifting of outboards in awkward positions then trying to locate somewhere to store it when not in use. If I had to yank on a block and tackle every time I wanted to dink around I'd never use the dink. The Seawise systems are expensive no doubt but like so many things in life- price is what you pay, Value is what you get!

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 17 Feb 2017 06:43 #16

• Timcup
  • Thank you received: 10
I have been mulling this same question...

I have a 3818 as well and the best way to mount the dingy is on davits or to tow. Sea wide with a auto lift motor- great- much $$$$

Type of dingy depends on what you want to use it for.

Choices...
- inflatable - light, but if you are going to be beaching in any type of rocky terrain you need to be careful. Has maintenance and a limited lifespan.
- tinny- robust but needs some modification to out it on davits. Can look a little Gerri as well.
- Livingston- still light , not as seaworthy in wavy seas but robust and little maintenance.
- bullfrog- best of all worlds but expensive and hard to find.

Think I am leaning to a Livingston due to the reliability, no maintenance, and robustness of the hull.

Good luck!!

Craig
Nanaimo bc
1987 bayliner 3818
w/ 175 Hinos no Genny, but solar to run everything!
10ft Livingston with centre console and 15hp on davits / winch

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 17 Feb 2017 07:07 #17

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 333
We stopped hauling a dinghy several years ago because it never got used. The Admiral is extremely reluctant to get in one even though she used to get in our 9' Sorenson fairly often when we were younger. Our 3818 came with a 9' Livingston that I promptly removed and have stored. It will be great entertainment for the grandkids when they reach an age they can operate oars. For old dad, I think what I would like is a 12' rib with good power then store it sideways and flat on the extended hardtop. I'd have to fabricate some supports because it would overhang the swimstep a couple of feet but wouldn't increase the LOA for moorage. I just find it sad when I see a partially, or more, deflated inflatable that's in a tip up mount.
Just remember that dinghys tend to be sacrificial to beaches and bumps.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 17 Feb 2017 13:59 #18

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
"For old dad, I think what I would like is a 12' rib with good power then store it sideways and flat on the extended hardtop. I'd have to fabricate some supports because it would overhang the swimstep a couple of feet but wouldn't increase the LOA for moorage"

Dependent upon where and how you boat perhaps consider towing a RIB. Here is one of my 'Dad' favorites a 12.5 Zodiac YL-380 that we had for quite a few years.

This image is hidden for guests.

Northport NY

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 18 Feb 2017 16:23 #19

• Machog
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 51
Walker Bay 11'3", with Tohatsu 18hp 4cycle, steering and bench seat on Ross Kelly Davit. Launch in 1 minute, recover in 1 minute. Whole lot weighs just under 400lbs, fuel, all the crap etc.

Machog

1996 4087 Lazy Days
2007 Walker Bay Genesis Lazy Mac
2011 Porsche Cayman
2010 Lexus IS 250C
2008 Honda Ridgeline

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 18 Feb 2017 21:15 #20

• yachtman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297

ctbarbarian wrote: Thanks, I wondered about doing that .
any suggestions as to what dingy ? I was looking
at hyperlon dinghys at West Marine.
Want to buy a 6 or 9 hp yamaha for motor

I have the westmarine hypalon dinghy it's the 10.5 ft fiberglass bottom RIB.

I love it if have a 9.8 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke on it. It will do close to 20 mph with 2 -3 people on it. I use it for fishing and my older kids take it exploring they love it. With the 4 stroke it uses hardly any gas. I've never emptied a 2 gallon tank on any of my trips. Some days my kids use it most the day running around.

I have had the RIB about 5 years now and it's held up good. The only thing is I wish it had a steering wheel but not a deal breaker.

As for the davits if you want simple I would just go with something like weaver snap davits . They are simple to install simple to use and I like how the dinghy attaches to the swim platform while loading and unloading.

Having said that they aren't the easiest to use but price wise probably the simplest and cheapest. The problem is the motor if you use one. If you don't use one no big deal. Also you will need the strength to pull it up on its side.

Probably the easiest to use would be what mcho machog posted. Don't need strength and it's just a clip on/off and go or lift. Those are expensive though and installs aren't cheap and you lose some use of the swim platform. Almost all systems have good and bad you just have to chose what you can put up with. My 9.8 4 stroke weighs about 80 lbs it's tough for me to lift and stow especially in rough water. I'm looking at what machog has. More money but easier on the body.

For a year or so I just tied it onto the swim platform here is a picture of the Westmarine RIB. That is most simple but a pain because you have to muscle it all the way up onto the platform.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's
Last Edit: by yachtman.

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 19 Feb 2017 21:08 #21

• kev_rm
  • 1987 3870 Hino 175's
  • Thank you received: 31
That is a freaking awesome setup - thanks for posting! What was cost?

Norton Rider wrote: When we bought the 3788 my wife and I wanted to be able to load the tender on a davit without taking the motor off. We also wanted to be able to use the swimstep while docking from either side, without lowering the tender.. This second requirement ruled out Seawise and Weaver. The Seawise Davit uses standoffs that go from the pedestal to the transom, effectively blocking off one side of the swimstep: seawisemarine.com/wordpress/wp-content/u...5-e1426729449293.jpg . The Weaver blocks the swimstep with the arm that pulls the dinghy, as well as the motor: www.boatus.com/Assets/www.boatus.com/mag...g/swing-up-davit.jpg .

We finally settled on an Olsson The ST-275 Tilt Davit. This davit is attached to the aft end of the swimstep. Even with the davit up, one can walk between it and the transom. The only barrier is the block and tackle used to pull the davit up. We solved this issue by adding a second cleat to the top of the transom, on the opposite side as the block and tackle. In our case the block and tackle is on the port side. If we are going to dock to port we attach a line from the starboard arm of the davit to the starboard cleat and remove the block and tackle. If we are docking to starboard, we do not need to do anything:
cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-biq04i/g4pylxu8/p...36.1280.1280.JPG?c=2
www.boatdavit.com/Home/Details/2

Incidentally, do not store an outboard motor in the engine compartment, or the lazarette if it is connected to the engine or generator compartment. The motor can leak gasoline and cause a fire hazard. This is particularly dangerous on a diesel boat since the electrical components are not normally ignition protected.

Last Edit: by kev_rm.

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 20 Feb 2017 02:10 #22

• TenMile
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 215
I have the SeaWise Manual system on our 3388 with a 9'6" AB Aluminum Bottom dinghy powered by a Mercury 15HP 2 Stroke. The entire setup came with the boat when I purchased it, and it's absolutely the best system I've ever owned. I do really like the SeaWise system. On our boat, it makes exiting via the Port Side Swimstep impossible however, my permanent mooring is Starboard tie and when we are visiting a dock, I make sure I orient so that we can exit via Starboard. It's not a big deal. There are electric versions of the SeaWise, but the hand crank takes about 1 minute to raise or lower and the motor simply stays attached to the bracket. It's geared such that there is no effort to raise or lower the dinghy -- it just goes slow.

As far as dinghy goes -- I would never own another soft-bottomed dinghy in the PNW. Barnacles!!!. Hypalon is the fabric of choice -- it's more expensive but doesn't break down in UV light like PVC and is easy to repair if needed. The Mercury 2-stroke is simple and light. Weights about 80lbs. I've done an impeller and leg oil change and this winter cleaned the carb (and found a leaky fuel line). It pushes the dingy close to the Speed-of-Light -- faster than we ever need to go for certain!!! Minor pain in the arse mixing the fuel, but really, we only have to do it 1-2x per year.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club
Last Edit: by TenMile.

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 20 Feb 2017 02:20 #23

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 333
Hey Yachtman! Great picture of an "Eagle" with a fish! :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: yachtman

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 20 Feb 2017 02:43 #24

• westkal
  • Thank you received: 18
We have had 2 Weaver snaps and one Seawise davit
As mentioned before you do lose the ability to easily cross along the swim grid when moored or netting a fish off the swim grid.
As we fish a lot we found that in tight unplanned turns due to wind wave and tide, that the lines would often rub against the dinghy
Our last two boats had a full cockpit roof and when the dinghy was on the grid, the only really good eye sight was only off to the sides, ie the dinghy enclosed the back of the cockpit

Additionally, we boat in areas where it is easy to be caught out in tough weather and there is not many people around if you run into trouble. I do not like either the Weaver or the Seawise because if the back of the boat
was sinking so that there was upward pressure from the dinghy on the attachment brackets , and you needed the dinghy as an escape vessel, I do not think that it would be easy to trip the attachment releases when under load.

When we had the seawise, we actually took the dinghy off, and we had a lightweight 10 foot, aluminum floor and just hauled up the side onto the roof . The outboard was mounted on a bracket off the transom, out of the way, and then the dinghy was gone from site

The new boat has a roof mounted davit, and it is awesome. No grunting, the motor stays on the boat, just have to remember to pull the drain unless you cover the dinghy when you are not using it.

Last Edit: by westkal.

help for picking a dinghy and davits for a 1988 3818 motoryacht 21 Feb 2017 00:55 #25

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 622

kev_rm wrote: That is a freaking awesome setup - thanks for posting! What was cost?

I got mine from Craigslist for $150. You may want to contact Olsson to find out the price for the ST-275: www.boatdavit.com . There's also another company (Canadian?) that makes a copy.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds