Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement.

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 15 Feb 2017 21:56 #1

• Simonsen
  • Simonsen's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 115
Well - I have my washing machine out and it's stuck upside down in the hallway!! A LOT of expletives were said just to get it there...working alone of course.

None of the hoses have any blockage, pump is free and clear. I can't find anything wrong. My last test I'm going to do is to blow compressed air through the hose that goes out the trough hull and see if there is blockage in there. If you didn't read the other post the washer was working prior to using a TIDE POD (DO NOT USE ON YOUR BOAT...my wife didn't know and I was off the boat and she was only trying to help). If there isn't blockage in the hose to the through hull then I'm just going to replace the washer!

Has anyone replaced the unit? If so, with what unit? Most importantly how the heck did you get it out? It doesn't look like it would come out through the pilot house stairs and or doors so that leaves the salon door and out the cockpit. ANY thoughts would be appreciated. This job sucks by the way in case you were thinking about messing with your washer :)

Thank you!!
Derek

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Family Boater
1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
(past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 15 Feb 2017 23:36 #2

• jmoultray
  • Thank you received: 7
Derek,

I recently met a really nice guy in Anacortes (lives in Arizona but boats up here all summer, can't remember his handle but he does check in on BOC sometimes--EDIT: I remember, it is Windriver) who had replaced the washer/dryer on his 4788. He bought a VENTED, not ventless, unit at Home Depot/Lowes and vented it up through the port side pilothouse seat area where the washer fluid is and out a side vent he installed there. Said it made a HUGE difference in drying times and the unit wasn't too expensive. It is on my list of future projects after seeing how he did it.

Now that you've done the hard part I wouldn't put the unit back.

I don't have time this week and will be out of town for a few days but if you need a hand lifting it up the stairs and out the back I would be happy help sometime. I know we've never met but we did PM a time or two and if I remember correctly you live and keep your boat just a little south of me (I live in Newport Shores, but keep the boat up north). Let me know if you still don't have it out next week. I imagine we could just slide it up the stairs and then carry it out from there--from what I understand it is too heavy for one person to do. I think it is skinnier than it is wide so just lay it on its back and slide it out sitting on a towel or something to protect the edges of the stairs.

2000 Bayliner 4788 "Perfect Balance"
370HP Cummins
Zodiac YL 340 30HP Nissan
Moored at Roche Harbor
Last Edit: by jmoultray. Reason: remembered handle of someone referenced in message

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 16 Feb 2017 00:58 #3

• Simonsen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

jmoultray wrote: Derek,

I recently met a really nice guy in Anacortes (lives in Arizona but boats up here all summer, can't remember his handle but he does check in on BOC sometimes--EDIT: I remember, it is Windriver) who had replaced the washer/dryer on his 4788. He bought a VENTED, not ventless, unit at Home Depot/Lowes and vented it up through the port side pilothouse seat area where the washer fluid is and out a side vent he installed there. Said it made a HUGE difference in drying times and the unit wasn't too expensive. It is on my list of future projects after seeing how he did it.

Now that you've done the hard part I wouldn't put the unit back.

I don't have time this week and will be out of town for a few days but if you need a hand lifting it up the stairs and out the back I would be happy help sometime. I know we've never met but we did PM a time or two and if I remember correctly you live and keep your boat just a little south of me (I live in Newport Shores, but keep the boat up north). Let me know if you still don't have it out next week. I imagine we could just slide it up the stairs and then carry it out from there--from what I understand it is too heavy for one person to do. I think it is skinnier than it is wide so just lay it on its back and slide it out sitting on a towel or something to protect the edges of the stairs.

Thank you very much for the offer! I called Splendide today (manufacturer of the washer/dryer) and the guy laughed...said pumps dead and they are NLA...that's cool! So, he gave me the replacement part number 7100XC. I ordered one this afternoon. I agree that having the vented unit would probably be more effective but for us using it two/three times a year on long trips these should work fine. He did say that the pumps on the old units died all the time. So, when I get back (vacation as well) I'll have a buddy of mine help me herf it out and put the new one back in. I wanted to have the new one here when I get back so I can maximize their time. The only thing I couldn't find is the OD on the old unit so...I'm taking a wee chance that it wont fit and that'll be a logistical nightmare...ugh. I'll report.

Thanks again for your kind offer to help!

Derek

Family Boater

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 16 Feb 2017 01:26 #4

• higgins_jr
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 357
Hey Derek! I've just measured widths etc down the breezeway, and like I mentioned in a prior post, getting it up the stairs will be a problem. The max width of the breezeway is around 22" without taking off the guest head door casing. The door will have to come off though. You will need to remove the right side stair wood hand rail, but it'll be real tight. So to minimise the dryer depth, taking the plastic knob/surround at the top off may get an inch or so, plus the rear cover has some protrusions that can crib a bit as well. The cockpit/salon door is plenty wide enough to get thru there.

I'm not sure where the pump is located. Removing the back cover will allow you to work from the guest stateroom door way. Maybe you can turn it on it's side in the breezeway to work on the underside. A chain saw might be needed too :evil:

Have fun. Cheers

John H
Brisbane QLD Aust
"Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 16 Feb 2017 14:48 #5

• jimveres
  • Thank you received: 3
When I replaced my washer / dryer I slid it into the hall and disassembled it there and carried the pieces up to the dumpster. I was able to get the new one into place with my two sons with just removing the railing going up the stairs. It is a close fit but it worked for me.

Good luck
Jim V.
Former 4518 owner.

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 16 Feb 2017 15:55 #6

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 966
I swapped out a couple of those drain pump motors over the years and never had a problem after the swap - so hopefully you will be able to keep the unit where it is.
Those pumps are fairly easy to check for binding and with a quick add of power on a table to see if they are working.

Also the pumps are available at RV stores ...or they used to be when I needed them.

Northport NY

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 16 Feb 2017 22:45 #7

• ksanders
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 237

smitty477 wrote: I swapped out a couple of those drain pump motors over the years and never had a problem after the swap - so hopefully you will be able to keep the unit where it is.
Those pumps are fairly easy to check for binding and with a quick add of power on a table to see if they are working.

Also the pumps are available at RV stores ...or they used to be when I needed them.

Seems to me like it would be easier to just retrofit a similar pump, rather than replace the whole washer.
Unless its somehow gear driven of course. :)

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 17 Feb 2017 03:59 #8

• Simonsen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Yeah I gotta say I left the boat so pissed lol...The unit is sitting in the hall now...new one on the way. The new unit is on the way. I am concerned about getting the old out and the new without damaging the wall paper and the door casings as you mentioned John.

John would you mind measuring the dryer as best you can? You'll be able to get width and height fairly easy but depth might be harder. I talked to the company today and they are sending the new unit out tomorrow via freight. The new machine has a better, more efficient pump. I'll report back once I get it in.

One of my friends is going to help me get it out with an appliance dolly up the stairs.

The new machine measurements are

23 7/16' W
22 1/4" D
33" H

Thanks!

Derek

Family Boater

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 17 Feb 2017 22:05 #9

• cosmo777
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 118
I was able to get my dryer out no problem (1999 4788). Didn't have to take anything off of the hallway except the frame for the unit.
It was a tight fit and needed a couple of guys to lift it up the stairs, but I'm really surprised that it doesn't just come right out free of interference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simonsen

Pat
Paragon
1999 4788

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 18 Feb 2017 01:09 #10

• higgins_jr
  • Away
Derek, you might surprise me, but I reckon you're in for a hiding to nothing. Changing out a pump in the corridor seems a way easier option to explore than pulling and replacing a complete new unit. I reckon they must have put the washer in/down the corridor before they did the finished woodwork.

The measurements width 23 1/2". Height 33 1/4". Depth is 23". The depth measurement includes 1" vent/water outlet protrusions. See pics. I've taken the vent panel off at the back and the water outlets look like the holding screw will allow the fittings to move back. There is a "rib" down the outer edge, so I reckon a 1/2" could be gained at the back.

Maybe on the front of the unit, the plastic panel with the soap drawer/knobs/switches can be removed. That would gain 1 1/4" if the protrusions can be taken back flush with the metal cabinet. The door protrudes 1/2" or so, but it looks like that can come off too to get it level with the metal cabinet. So net net, in my estimate, IF the front can be taken back flush with the cabinet, plus 1/2" off the back from vent panel etc, 23" less 1 1/4" less 1/2" makes 21 1/4"

On the corridor measurements, wall paper to wallpaper breezeway width is 23". With side teak horizontal side runners, its down to a tad over 22". The door casings both sides are another 1" (1/2" beyond the side runners each side), so it's down to 21". It may be possible to wiggle it around each of the door casings by using the door openings wider gap. The washer would have to be lifted exactly vertical to manoeuvre past the guest room/head openings. Certainly the guest head door would need to be removed.

Then it's up the stairs where the measurement is 22" between the horizontal teak wall runner trims. The hand rail needs to come off the wall for sure.

(Having trouble with file sizes for adding pics)

You're in for a fun time. The appliance dolly in my view will only get in the way. I'd be exploring the in corridor pump change out option first. Maybe your measurements are a tad different. Anyway, good luck. You're gunna need it :dry: Cheers

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

John H
Brisbane QLD Aust
"Harbor-nating"

Last Edit: by higgins_jr. Reason: Pic Add

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 18 Feb 2017 01:22 #11

• higgins_jr
  • Away
Derek, here's the other pics if it works.

Cheers

This message has an attachment image.

John H
Brisbane QLD Aust
"Harbor-nating"

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 18 Feb 2017 01:30 #12

• higgins_jr
  • Away
Hopefully thiese will post

This message has attachments images.

John H
Brisbane QLD Aust
"Harbor-nating"

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 18 Feb 2017 04:13 #13

• Simonsen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
John,

Thanks for doing that...it helps a ton! I wonder how Pat got his out without removing anything? When I get back I'm going to try to strip what I can off it to make it easier to get out. My concern about removing things from the machine is that it will leave sharp edges. I've already cut the wall paper and taken a chunk out of the guest stateroom molding..hence where previously reported expletives were released from me... It is good to know that the new machine will fit though...phew!

When I called Splendide they told me that the pumps are NLA (no longer available). I didn't spend a lot of time looking for one and I'm sure there's one somewhere. For me and doing a project like this...it's not worth the trouble to find a new/used/rebuilt pump and install it maybe it works or maybe there's something else wrong with the machine (remember the Tide pod). I wan't to put a new machine in and never ever work in that area again!

When I get back from vaca I'm going to remove the guest bath door and the hand rail as they are pretty easy to take off.

Thanks again for taking the measurements and looking into this for me.

I'll have the dolly there (hand truck basically) and if that doesn't work we'll herf it out with lifting straps or the like.

Derek

Family Boater

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 18 Feb 2017 04:26 #14

• cosmo777
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Derek,
I wish I could remember how I got mine out, but it doesn't come to me right now. I may have taken the front control panel off and the top panel of the unit off (since it sticks out and curves toward the control panel). I do seem to remember the guys that helped me stood at the top steps and pulled upward, which leads me to believe the top panel was off, allowing them to grab hold of the frame of the unit as a handhold. I do think taking the control panel off will give you the best bang for the buck in terms of gaining dimensional clearance.

Pat
Paragon
1999 4788

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 18 Feb 2017 05:43 #15

• higgins_jr
  • Away
Derek, I'd suggest before you take the old one out, just check your measurement vs mine, Then check the actual dimensions of the new unit, out of the box. It may be that the measurements are slightly different - the water inlet fitting or the rear panel etc - do they protrude outside the 22" depth? i.e. Footprint vs volume space. Last thing you need is to get the old one out somehow, and not be the new unit back in. Sounds goofy, but with your luck, stranger things have happened.

One other thing, I think removing the top step to the utility room will allow it to slide up/down the stairs easier.

Good luck! Cheers

John H
Brisbane QLD Aust
"Harbor-nating"

Last Edit: by higgins_jr.

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement NEW MACHINE INSTALLED 17 Mar 2017 16:45 #16

• Simonsen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hopefully this will help someone in the future with their washing machine should they need to replace it as I did mine.

I purchased a Splendide 7100XC from Camping World as a direct replacement. Getting the old machine out is quite the bugger for sure but it can be done.

Steps:

1-Remove doors for washing machine cabinet
2-There are screws behind the hinges for the doors that hold the door frame in (4 screws - behind each hinge). Remove those
3- Remove frame and carefully stowe
4- From bunk room remove power cable (make sure breaker is OFF on main breaker panel). There are several points where the power cable is anchored in via Phillips screws so a long skinny arm and a stubby phillips screw driver would be best
5- With water OFF disconnect hot/cold water lines at old washing machine.
6- There are two covered trim blocks at the lower front of the machine (they are covered with fuzzy stuff...note their orientation and remove and store).
7- With the lower bunk room mattress removed in the most rearward hatch access the connection joint for the drain hose of the washing machine and the through hull (washing machine drain hose is grey flex hose). Disconnect at connection joint carefully.
8- Remove all the screw attachment points for the drain hose (IIRC there are 3). Bayliner really secured the washing machine in there!
9- Remove old machine (it's VERY hard to get out so go slow and lift carefully) and it's heavy (145lbs I think).
10- With two people it can be lifted up and over the grab handle going down the stairs to the lower staterooms. The machines will have to go out the stern of the boat.
11- Reverse the steps for install.

When mine died I called Spendide and gave the guy my symptoms and he concluded that the pump was dead and said they haven't made that machine in a long time so they wouldn't be able to source a pump (I'm sure I could have found one somewhere but it was time for replacement in my mind. I ran a test cycle the other day and it works correctly!

Derek

This message has an attachment image.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodsea, PuraVidaTN

Family Boater

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 17 Mar 2017 22:09 #17

• cosmo777
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Derek,
Nice that you were able to find a direct replacement.
Have you tried the dryer function and been able to compare to the old unit?
We would use ours more often except for the drying function being mostly useless.

Pat
Paragon
1999 4788

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 19 Mar 2017 03:43 #18

• Simonsen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi Pat,

No, I didn't try the dryer function but I assume it's as crappy as the original one. I'll report back mid summer :) We really only use the machine a couple times a year but I can't stand things not working on the boat. It only seems to make the "list" longer!

Derek

Family Boater

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 19 Mar 2017 04:22 #19

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 622
Hi Derek,

If the dryer does not work well you may want to install one of these in the cockpit :)

This image is hidden for guests.

Raul

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 19 Mar 2017 15:51 #20

• Simonsen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
NOW I have my next project! I just have to figure out how to make it out of carbon fiber :)

Derek

Family Boater

4788 Washer/Dryer Removal - Replacement. 04 Oct 2017 19:08 #21

• kspellman02
  • Bayliner 4788, Leopard 40, Bayliner 3988
  • Thank you received: 3
I am a little late on this but I can second what Simonson did....I purchased a Splendide 7100XC from Camping World as a direct replacement. Getting the old machine out was tight but we actually lifted (ok I hired two local movers for an hour) it over the rail leading up to the salon. I did remove a control for the electric heater to give a little more space. It took about 15 minutes for the guys and I to get the old unit out of the hall (I had gotten it there and then determined my old unit was toast). Replacement was even easier....it is like the new 7100 (ventless) is just a hair smaller and fitting it in was very easy. And for whoever asked, the dryer function is much better than the old model.....Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodsea

We have No Plan and we're sticking to it...,
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds