• Page:

TOPIC: Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 05 Feb 2017 01:23 #1

• stargazerwa
  • stargazerwa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 28
Looking to make a trip from Anacortes to Princess Louisa and Vancouver this summer in late August and early September, I have never boated to either. I am pretty clear about the options to cross the Straight of Georgia to head to either. Just not clear what the trip along the coast of the mainland between the two. What should I expect? Is it better to start north and work my way south or the opposite? Thoughts about going to/from Bellingham to Vancouver? I know that area can be a rough patch of water and one of my crew likes calm seas.

Any help is much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 05 Feb 2017 01:45 #2

• Cap_Fury
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 7
Power Boat TV just did two episodes on the trip up to Princess Louisa.
You can watch it on line.
Exploring B.C.’s Sunshine Coast (Part 1 and 2)

www.powerboattv.com/content/category/2017-season/watch/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodsea

Greg
1999 Bayliner 3988
Twin Cummins 6BTA 270hp
Malaspina Strait, BC
Last Edit: by Cap_Fury. Reason: added episode name

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 05 Feb 2017 01:53 #3

• robster_in_edmonds
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 241
We did the trip for my Commodore's Cruise three summers ago. Wonderful trip. Cross the Georgia Strait in the morning with a good weather window if you have a crew member who doesn't like rolling around. When the wind picks up at all you'll have at minimum 3-foot beam seas and that is problematic for anyone prone to seasickness. We had an OK crossing going over, maybe 1-foot or so seas on the beam, and the trip back was smooth as glass.

Time your entry into Princess Louisa at slack tide.

The worst thing you can do is have a set schedule, as you will be guaranteed to cross the Strait in unfavorable weather.

Rob Meldrum
Commodore, Edmonds Yacht Club (2014-2015)
"Miss Maui" * 1997 Bayliner 4788 * Cummins 330s

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 05 Feb 2017 02:17 #4

• stargazerwa
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
One option i am considering is to have the crew member drive up and meet me in Vancouver or farther north. I would love to hear from some BC boaters who have made the trip from Vancouver north.

Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 05 Feb 2017 04:08 #5

• Pcpete
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 333
Plan to cross from Porlier Pass rather than Active Pass. The difference is from Active Pass you will cross the mouth of the Fraser. From Porlier the course keeps you north of the Fraiser. It's a huge difference. I single handed in my 2950 Encounter and didn't have anything particularly exciting that wasn't planned for. The trip north from or south to is pretty, not too lumpy and has bunches of places to hide if the weather turn ugly.
Don't play time games with Malibu Rapids. Period. If you missed you window by very much, wait it out. There are boats that do tours from Egmont that pay less attention, but they are offering the thrill. Everyone is in lightweight survival suits and pfd's. It's a tight S turn and narrow. Once you are past the Rapids, the scenery is awesome, in many opinions. There is also a speed limit of about four knots.
Robster is absolutely correct about having a tight schedule, just a float plan that's completely flexible.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 05 Feb 2017 07:11 #6

• jmcannonball
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 61
We have made the trip to Princess Louisa many times - probably one of the most scenic destinations in the area. We have made the trip along the mainland from Bellingham/Vancouver, and also from Anacortes to Nanimo. Either way, we cross to the Pender Harbor/Egmont/Earls Cove area, then up Jervis Inlet to Malibu Rapids and Princess Louisa.

Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys[/B]
Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
MMSI: 338030604

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 05 Feb 2017 16:21 #7

• Simonsen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 115
I can't agree more with what Rob said...don't have a schedule. The only key time you'll need to meet is slack water at Malibu Rapids. The trip up from Egmont to Malibu is generally calm water. We went up to Desolation and PL last July for 30 days and it was AMAZING! Our son (10) is not a fan of rough water so, we opt'd for heading up to Vancouver and hugging that shore line so we didn't have to deal with crossing the strait.

On our way out of Desolation we left from Predioux Haven at 6am (or leave at first light) we took a pretty good angle down from Desolation and went around the north side of Hernando Island. You have to watch the winds VERY VERY closely and tides too. Talk to everyone and anyone you can about good weather conditions to leave in. We were very fortunate to have good friends with us to help us with that choice. The boat will handle just fine in most conditions out there...it's always the crew (not a put down on you or your crew...I'm the same way...why smash around out there, we prefer calm too!)

Here are a couple good weather links for you to store and monitor when you're up there:
windonthewater.com/

weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=02&siteID=14305

If you NEED to have a schedule (for picking someone up somewhere etc.) then make sure you're there a couple days early so you can capture the best transit weather and that you're there when you need to me. Nothing worse than smashing through seas with everything falling all over the place and everyone on board freaking out when you need ALL your concentration!

Enjoy your trip...Princess Louisa is an amazing place for sure! Are you planning to tie to the dock or anchor? If you'd like PM me and I will give you my email address and phone number and give you more tips. We'll be up to Desolation this year too..

Derek

Family Boater
1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
(past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 05 Feb 2017 17:50 #8

• Uncle Bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 132
Early mornings are often flat so a long run staight up the Strait can be a good one. You have to go around Sand Heads to get to Vancouver so better stops are Gibsons ( gibsonsmarina.ca/ ), Fisherman's Cove, Smugglers Cove, Secret Cove, Pender Harbour, Ballet Bay, Hotham Sound and Egmont (fuel/water?) South to north in fair weather means bow into the breeze or wind. Crossing from the Gulf Islands adds distance and can mean a lumpy sea on the beam. The last leg of the trip is a repetitive 35 mile run with no anchorages so enjoy the earlier stops along the way...as they often say, It's the journey not the destination. Princess Louisa is the reward for an enjoyable journey.

1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 05 Feb 2017 20:35 #9

• SprinterX
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Vancouver, BC
  • Thank you received: 94
Earlier in the season is best as the spring run off produces many water falls.

It's a truly spectacular and spiritual place to spend time at.

Sea Venture
2000 3055, 5.7/B2, 18x23" props
Cruising the PNW and beyond.
DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
MMSI 316029971

Kirk :)
Drinks well with others. ;)

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 06 Feb 2017 02:49 #10

• igiftmon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 61

Simonsen wrote:
Enjoy your trip...Princess Louisa is an amazing place for sure! Are you planning to tie to the dock or anchor? If you'd like PM me and I will give you my email address and phone number and give you more tips. We'll be up to Desolation this year too..

Derek

Hey guys,

I was telling the admiral about people heading to Desolation Sound this summer and we started talking about how maybe we all should try to coordinate and have a BOC cruise or something with everyone. Maybe meet up in Anacotes or something??? Just an idea, as we were looking at heading up that way this summer, too...

~BJ
OMEGA

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 06 Feb 2017 05:54 #11

• freedre
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188

igiftmon wrote:

Simonsen wrote:

Derek

Hey guys,

I was telling the admiral about people heading to Desolation Sound this summer and we started talking about how maybe we all should try to coordinate and have a BOC cruise or something with everyone. Maybe meet up in Anacotes or something??? Just an idea, as we were looking at heading up that way this summer, too...

~BJ
OMEGA

I'd be interested in that

Midnight Star
1996 3587
Twin diesels, Hino 250's
Ladysmith, BC
History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 06 Feb 2017 06:32 #12

• SprinterX
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Vancouver, BC
We'll be there for three weeks following the August long weekend. This will be our second time up there. So looking forward to it.

I'd welcome meeting up with some other BOC members.

Sea Venture
DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
MMSI 316029971

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 06 Feb 2017 06:35 #13

• SprinterX
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Vancouver, BC

igiftmon wrote: Hey guys,

~BJ
OMEGA

You should start a new thread. This could be big.

Sea Venture
DIYC, Riverhouse Marina
MMSI 316029971

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 06 Feb 2017 17:55 #14

• MerlinV
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80
We're hijacking the original thread a little......
We had a Bayliner rendezvous in Roche Harbor in early June last year. It was the first 'independent' rendezvous without any of the backing or sponsorship from Bayliner/Meridian or its dealers

Around 20 boats signed up, and as always we had a great weekend with friends old and new, and while there were a couple of events scheduled, it was deliberately not 'over organized'.

Ron & Bev Leslie (MV Rhubarb) took on a leadership role in organizing the rendezvous, and as we left last year, everyone was unanimous in wanting to keep this as a regular event on the calendar. We have not talked about it yet for this year.

Alternatively, we could arrange for a get together to coincide with the Concert in the Bay in Prideaux Haven, which I believe is taking place over the BC Day long weekend, which is the first weekend of August.

Rob
Bayliner 5788
'Merlin V'
Vancouver BC

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 07 Feb 2017 16:52 #15

• Simonsen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Great idea!! I like the idea of keeping is loose too. If people want to go about doing their own things then that's cool too...just meet for happy hour :) We missed the concert last year but Mark texted me pictures and it looks like a great time!!

Derek

Family Boater

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 08 Feb 2017 01:45 #16

• DSobba
  • Thank you received: 0
Princess Louisa is spectacular and well worth the visit. This is one of our favorite places to go even year after year. It's interesting as it seems most boats come in for a couple of days and then leave. We find there are endless things to do in the inlet as well as up at the head of the Jervis inlet. This next year (2017) the pinks will be running - if you go up in late July or August, take your dingy and head to the stream at the head of the Jervis. On high tide we take the dingy about 300 or 400 yards up the stream and catch and release hundreds of pinks and was the best place to teach kids how to cast and hook fish. Across from the mouth of princess louisa inlet is Crabapple creek. You can hike about 1 to 1 1/2 miles up the creek (it's a bit chilly in the water but worth it) to a beautiful waterfall. There is a great hike at the head of the inlet that goes up to trappers cabin. The views are amazing. We spend a week at a time up in Princess Louisa and never run out of things to do.
In regards to meeting someone, I would say either Pender Harbor or Egmont. Pender has a good grocery store and both are a good place to leave for the 35 mile trip up to the mouth of PLI.
Have a great trip!

D Sobba
1996 Tollycraft
2006 Meridian 411
1995 Trophy

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 08 Feb 2017 02:17 #17

• jmoultray
  • Thank you received: 7
We are planning to head up to Desolation Sound end of July. Leave from Roche approximately July 21, head back around the 30th and take 2-3 days heading back. Still fairly up in the air on details but it will be our first time up to Desolation. Planning to try to visit Nanaimo and Sunshine Coast Marina on the way up, then Roscoe Bay, Pendrell Sound, Gorge Harbor marina, Takearne Arm and Prideaux haven while up there. No idea if we will visit all of them, some of them, or others still to be added to the list.

I missed the rendezvous last year but will try to join if it happens again this year.

2000 Bayliner 4788 "Perfect Balance"
370HP Cummins
Zodiac YL 340 30HP Nissan
Moored at Roche Harbor

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 08 Feb 2017 03:00 #18

• stargazerwa
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thank you all. It looks like if I want to head north from Vancouver I could get from Point Roberts to Vancouver in about three hours. That should be doable at first light if the weather is calm? I have been wanting to get to Princess Louisa for a long time, sounds wonderful. Fishing for pinks would be fun, haven't done that since I was a kid! Is it simple to get a BC license?

Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 08 Feb 2017 05:26 #19

• freedre
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I spend quite a bit of time in Desolation and FWIW, my two favourite places are : 1) Roscoe Bay and 2) Mansons Landing. Squirrel Cove ranks up there as well.

It really doesn't matter where you go - you will fall in love with it.

Ron

EDIT: Not to be down on any place, but I found one visit to Princess Louisa to satisfy me. I would certainly go back, but it wouldn't be my first choice if I had already been there.

Midnight Star
1996 3587
Twin diesels, Hino 250's
Ladysmith, BC
Last Edit: by freedre.

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 08 Feb 2017 05:31 #20

• freedre
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

stargazerwa wrote: Is it simple to get a BC license?

Yes - you can get it on-line. Be advised also that you need it for crabbing, collecting oysters and clams. Pretty much anything in the water.

Midnight Star
1996 3587
Twin diesels, Hino 250's
Ladysmith, BC
Last Edit: by freedre.

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 08 Feb 2017 17:42 #21

• joni
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks for the posting those wx links!!! Nice!!

1994 4788 Bayliner ONNA MISSION

Anacortes, Washington

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 08 Feb 2017 17:55 #22

• Simonsen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

stargazerwa wrote: Thank you all. It looks like if I want to head north from Vancouver I could get from Point Roberts to Vancouver in about three hours. That should be doable at first light if the weather is calm? I have been wanting to get to Princess Louisa for a long time, sounds wonderful. Fishing for pinks would be fun, haven't done that since I was a kid! Is it simple to get a BC license?

Keep in mind there is no fishing in PLI.

Family Boater

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 08 Feb 2017 18:28 #23

• Michellekw
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 39
We really enjoyed this book and found it helpful when we first started cruising in Desolation Sound: marineguides.com All of the Peter's books are wonderful and include detailed information.

Re: Canadian Fishing licensing: www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/licence-permis/index-eng.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: stargazerwa

1991 57 Widebody Tollycraft "Solana"
Formerly:
Ladysmith, BC
Michelle

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 13 Feb 2017 14:27 #24

• stargazerwa
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
So I am thinking I will go up the coast and stop in Vancouver one way and cross to or from the gulf islands the other? Any thoughts about which s better crossing the straits northbound and hugging the coast South or vice versa? I think I'll stay in Egmont on the way up and Pender on the way South.

Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Need advice on trip to Vancouver and Princess Louisa 13 Feb 2017 17:02 #25

• Simonsen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
We stayed at Egmont too (I like it because it's a cool eclectic stop). Be careful docking there as there can be a lot of current flowing through there and the dock is pretty old! We backed into the inside of the dock. As boats go by (if there is any traffic lol) and they are opposing the current wakes can get big and being on the other side of the dock helps defuse.

When you are in Egmont make sure you make the hike (LONG) to Skookumchuck rapids. I can't remember if the wave stands on Ebb or Flood tide (make sure you ask) but when it's rippin' it's super cool. We made the trek and went on the wrong tide lol...had some SUPER unhappy campers for sure!

When you come down from PLI a great place to stop and hang out for a day or two either to relax or wait for weather window is Pender Harbor (Garden Bay). Pender is super cool and it's got great protection from weather and amenities too. We left Garden Bay and headed straight to Desolation from there on a nice day and had a beautiful cruise up (about 8knts)....rounding the corner into Desolation is a special moment.."we're here...we made it". It's a super great place with a LOT to enjoy. Gathering information on here prior is a really good idea!

If you have good weather when you're coming out of PLI and are able to head north there are a couple other marina's along the coast up that you could stay at then you'd be much closer to Desolation for transiting in smooth water.

Hope this has helped you some.

Derek

Family Boater
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds