Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3988 with Cummins diesels

3988 with Cummins diesels 25 Dec 2016 07:06 #1

• PugetScott
  • PugetScott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all! Merry Christmas!!

I have succumbed to threefootitus and am considering going from a 1993 3688 to a 3988. No specific year decided yet.

I love the 3688, it is a great boat, but I like the 3988 additional length, beam, and overall floorplan.

Any tips, reviews, likes, dislikes, etc. regarding this boat? Any years to avoid? I tried to find existing posts in the Reviews section but came up short.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Scott & Katy
1993 3688 with Hino 210s
Everett, WA (Dagmar's)

3988 with Cummins diesels 26 Dec 2016 16:36 #2

• TRT
  • Thank you received: 10

PugetScott wrote: Hello all! Merry Christmas!!

I have succumbed to threefootitus and am considering going from a 1993 3688 to a 3988. No specific year decided yet.

I love the 3688, it is a great boat, but I like the 3988 additional length, beam, and overall floorplan.

Any tips, reviews, likes, dislikes, etc. regarding this boat? Any years to avoid? I tried to find existing posts in the Reviews section but came up short.

Thanks!

My 3988 has been a marvelous boat, economical, does ok in rough weather, forgiving while your on the learning curve. There is a saying I learned here on BOC, when you buy a boat "you buy the previous boat owner" meaning the care they gave the boat.

Good luck

Tom Taylor
Retired bank exec.
Submarine Sailor 72-76
Navy Diver
Have served the same Admiral since 1978
Previous boat: 2002 3988 - Sabbatical

3988 with Cummins diesels 26 Dec 2016 23:17 #3

• Uncle Bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 132
I'm more than pleased with my 39. Enjoy the hunt. They range from pristine to garbage dumps and are priced accordingly. Initially they came with Hinos and somewhere around mid 1996 changed to Cummins. Either is good if maintained. Horsepower ranged from 250 a side to 370 with most at 330. The last year of production was 2002 and 2002 was the only year of Avonite (like Corian) counters. 2002 also had a modified transom door. Changes year to year were cosmetic. Some were teak-like finished and some were white washed. Early ones had mis-matched furniture. The rub-rail was changed in 99 to a more attractive stainless and rubber combination that takes bumps better than the older aluminum rail. Some very early ones had the swim grid dragging in the water. Subsequent production raised the grid a few inches. Look for a boat with cupboards installed on the cockpit sides near the salon bulkhead. Look carefully at the cupboard installation as some are installed so that the door doesn't clear the ladder. Things like where the inverter was installed should be appraised. A.C. or not is a decision. Battery configuration should be appraised. I really can't think of anything I dislike on my boat which says a lot.

1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'
Last Edit: by Uncle Bob.

3988 with Cummins diesels 27 Dec 2016 00:00 #4

• sailorand
  • Thank you received: 4
We have a 2006 3988. Optional interior of bleached ash, which was an added cost item. Nice light interior. The boat is a little wet in head winds and seas, but nothing to worry about. Always want to do small upgrades but would not do anything to change the layout. The teak interior is very nice, and warm feeling. Lots of enjoyment from the boat

Sailorand
Lisa J, 1996 Bayliner 3988, 250hp
Ladner Yacht Club
there is no cure for sea fever

3988 with Cummins diesels 27 Dec 2016 00:29 #5

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 622

PugetScott wrote: Hello all! Merry Christmas!!

Thanks!

Have you looked at 3788s? They have quite a bit more space than 3688s but are not as large as 3988s.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

3988 with Cummins diesels 27 Dec 2016 01:04 #6

• guntar
  • Thank you received: 9
We just closed on our 1999 3988 in December and have been busy getting everything in place for Spring cruising. We spent over a year and almost 4k just looking, sea trials, and getting surveys done to prospects before finding our boat. These boats are aging and it is very hard to find the Bristol ones and we had to increase our budget by 20k to find the better boats. We looked at both 3988 and 3788 but my wife wanted the bigger of the two for the extra room, second head, and the eating area across from lower helm. I liked the 3788s as you can easily dry store them and this really lowers the cost of moorage. I can give you lots of advice (for what's it's worth) based on our experience. I also created a comprehensive check list that I developed and can send you. The boat show in January also has a couple of seminars on boat buying you should take. My biggest advice is find a broker you can trust. I did and she was wonderful and represented my interest first. You can let me know if you are interested in talking. Good luck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Flamingo

Guntar
1999 3988
Cummins 270s
Last Edit: by guntar. Reason: typo

3988 with Cummins diesels 27 Dec 2016 16:14 #7

• Machog
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 51
When we were looking at 3988's several years ago, we looked at about a dozen in the PNW. There are load to choose from out there, so as others say enjoy the hunt. We did find one serious issue in a 3988 we put an offer on, the flybridge had a soft floor, there were a few of the early models where Bayliner forgot to put resin in the balsa core and it eventually turned to dust. Its easy to tell, it will be very springy when you walk up there. Its a very expensive fix, around $30k I think. Other than that, make sure you have a complete mechanical (including oil samples) and structural survey done (out of the water). It will cost a bit for both, but money well spent.

Keep posting on your progress.

Machog

1996 4087 Lazy Days
2007 Walker Bay Genesis Lazy Mac
2011 Porsche Cayman
2010 Lexus IS 250C
2008 Honda Ridgeline

3988 with Cummins diesels 28 Dec 2016 15:29 #8

• PugetScott
Thanks all, for the input so far.

The 3788s I have seen did not have a lower/indoor helm, which is a must. Perhaps I haven't looked at enough of them?

Also, Gunter, I would like to take a look at the checklist you mentioned. My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Thanks!

Scott & Katy
1993 3688 with Hino 210s
Everett, WA (Dagmar's)

3988 with Cummins diesels 28 Dec 2016 16:07 #9

• Norton Rider
  • Away

PugetScott wrote: Thanks all, for the input so far.

The 3788s I have seen did not have a lower/indoor helm, which is a must. Perhaps I haven't looked at enough of them?

Also, Gunter, I would like to take a look at the checklist you mentioned. My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..
Thanks!

I believe that the lower helm was standard on 3788s until 1999. The boat was redesigned slightly for 2000 and the lower helm became optional. I agree with you on needing a lower helm. My wife and I are year round boaters and use the lower helm when the weather is very rainy or very cold.

I assume from your forum name that you are in the Puget Sound area. There are a number of pre-2000 3788s listed for sale in the PNW, all with lower helms. I only see one post-1999 listed and it does not have the helm.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PugetScott

Anacortes, WA

3988 with Cummins diesels 28 Dec 2016 17:33 #10

• PugetScott
Yes, our 3688 is homed at Dagmar's in Everett - and on that note - they cannot lift a 3988 for the dry storage they offer; and the jump in moorage cost is pretty substantial to have it in the water at Port of Everett. So it looks like finding a dual-helm 3788 is going to be the way to go.

The layout is similar between the 3788 and the 3988 from what I'm seeing. Just the obvious reduction and loss of a second head. But still better than the '93 3688 which has less salon space and more opportunity for traffic jams if multiple people are aboard.

Scott & Katy
1993 3688 with Hino 210s
Everett, WA (Dagmar's)
Last Edit: by PugetScott.

3988 with Cummins diesels 28 Dec 2016 22:47 #11

• Norton Rider
  • Away
There was a 3788 for sale at Dagmar's. It's the one immediately next to the first covered boat rack. I've heard that it sold, but the office may know for sure. It's an older one, so it has the lower helm. Bananabelt Boats in Anacortes has two for sale. Call them and ask for Amy or Matthew. Tell them Raul sent you.

Anacortes, WA

3988 with Cummins diesels 29 Dec 2016 00:10 #12

• PugetScott
Will do, thanks! We're planning on motoring up to Anacortes to take a look at a few different models to see what speaks to us.

Scott & Katy
1993 3688 with Hino 210s
Everett, WA (Dagmar's)

3988 with Cummins diesels 29 Dec 2016 00:40 #13

• Norton Rider
  • Away
BTW, we went through a similar thing. We liked the 3988 and the 3788. We decided on the 3788 because it has a 41' LOA, so it fits with the dinghy on the swim step in a 45' max slip.

The later 3788s are a bit shorter because they have stainless anchor roller instead of a pulpit.

Anacortes, WA

3988 with Cummins diesels 30 Dec 2016 02:43 #14

• guntar
We sea trialed the Dagma boat. It failed.

Guntar
1999 3988
Cummins 270s

3988 with Cummins diesels 30 Dec 2016 02:56 #15

• guntar
Scott..Just sent it to you...
The following user(s) said Thank You: PugetScott

Guntar
1999 3988
Cummins 270s

3988 with Cummins diesels 31 Dec 2016 20:47 #16

• Ahaua
  • Thank you received: 11
Guntar, New member and boat novice here. I just started looking for a 3988 and would appreciate a copy of your comprehensive check list.

My email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thank you!

Alex

Alex
Orange County, Ca.
2001 3988
Twin Cummins 330's
Last Edit: by Ahaua. Reason: added my email address

3988 with Cummins diesels 31 Dec 2016 21:41 #17

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
Why would you want to dry Dock these babies? ;)

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

3988 with Cummins diesels 31 Dec 2016 22:03 #18

• guntar
A lot of reasons to store dry if possible. It is a lot less expensive, it saves wear and tear on everything as sitting in the water is very hard on boats, it makes it easier to work on as you don't have to worry about falling in the water and dropping tools overboard. Sure there are dis-advantages but over all dry is better.

Guntar
1999 3988
Cummins 270s

3988 with Cummins diesels 31 Dec 2016 22:17 #19

• guntar
Alex. Just sent it to you as well. I forwarded the one I sent Scott.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ahaua

Guntar
1999 3988
Cummins 270s

3988 with Cummins diesels 01 Jan 2017 00:22 #20

• Norton Rider
  • Away

guntar wrote: A lot of reasons to store dry if possible. It is a lot less expensive, it saves wear and tear on everything as sitting in the water is very hard on boats, it makes it easier to work on as you don't have to worry about falling in the water and dropping tools overboard. Sure there are dis-advantages but over all dry is better.

We've done both. For 10+ years we had boats dry-stored at Dagmar's. With this came all the advantages guntar mentions. Moreover, Dagmar's gets boats in an out of the water quickly, even during holiday weekends. The down side is that boats have to be winterized unless they are in heated, rack storage like at Bayside Marine or Twin Bridges at Everett and Anacortes, respectively. Dagmar's specifically has another downside, it's a long slog from the marina to the mouth of the Snohomish River at the naval base.

When we bought our 3788 we decided to moor it in the water at Anacortes for two reasons: 1- Most of our boating was in the San Juan and Gulf Islands. We were tired of the three hour trip and the fuel burned just to get to our cruising grounds., 2- We wanted the ability to just show up and go, as well as spend the night without the hassle of getting the boat launched. I now keep the boat ready to go year-round. It takes us 1-hour to get to the boat and we can be in the islands 1/2-hour later.

Anacortes, WA

3988 with Cummins diesels 01 Jan 2017 04:51 #21

• PugetScott
Yeah, I hear ya on multiple points. 45 mins or so just to get moving (after the naval base) from Dagmar's.

They are pretty efficient, but it's still a process. I have heat in the boat, as we have shore power at our dry 'slip' but I still worry about it. I don't want to do a full winterize because we bought a boat with a cabin and heat in order to use year-round. Not like it gets especially cold here in WA. Not this side of the state, at least.

I burp the engines once dry docked to expel raw water out of the cooling systems. Dunno if that is good or not but seemed logical to me. I also keep the water heater on and a couple of low power air dryers that produce a little heat. I figure that should keep things from freezing as long as we don't have a long spell of freezing temps.

I'm thinking about moving her to Port of Everett next year for the 'get there and go' benefit. I love the San Juans but I don't want to drive 2 hours just to get to the boat. Would rather drive 20 mins and cruise on the water. We, too, like to stay the night on the boat sometimes, even without going anywhere. I like that 20 minute drive to do so; especially on short notice.

Scott & Katy
1993 3688 with Hino 210s
Everett, WA (Dagmar's)

3988 with Cummins diesels 13 Apr 2017 06:51 #22

• Flamingo
  • Thank you received: 1
How can we get your check list? We have looked at 7 3988s. Some good but some garbage. We are getting crazy. We are in Southern California and are looking in the San Francisco Bay Area now.

Thanks for any help.

Don and Joanie

3988 with Cummins diesels 13 Apr 2017 06:58 #23

• Flamingo
  • Thank you received: 1
I just asked for your check list but forgot to give you our email.

Email is : This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thanks, joanie

3988 with Cummins diesels 14 Apr 2017 16:46 #24

• TD Images
  • Thank you received: 7
We too have succumbed to the bigger size! We also thought the 3988 would be the optimum size and design and we received a good offer for our 3288 which is now being enjoyed by her new owners! We have seen two sad 3988's but recently found a 2002 3988 with extremely low hours and showed almost like new! It was used annually but sparingly averaging 25 hours a year. It has the 330 Cummins and the aftercoolers have been apart and cleaned and put back together using the Tony Athens method with the Alco Metalube! It has the stock raw water pumps which we may look at replacing as one is showing signs of needing a rebuild. The mechanical was last week with nothing more than a few minor issues and the survey and sea trial is later next week! So if all goes well we will have our new vessel home for the end of the month! Good luck with your search!

Tony.

Fairwinds and Calm Waters!
2002 3988 Viewfinder II
1990 3288 Viewfinder - Sold

Member - RCYC
Member CPS - Langley, Pt Moody Squadrons

3988 with Cummins diesels 14 Apr 2017 17:02 #25

• Ahaua
  • Thank you received: 11
Tony,

Is this the 39 that's in Oceanside?? There was also one in Dana Point that we looked at before we purchased a 2001 that's in Oakland; just closed escrow on March 31st. We're just waiting for a good weather window before we bring her down to Long Beach. Hope it all works out on your end!

Alex
Orange County, Ca.
2001 3988
Twin Cummins 330's
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds