Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Might be time to sell ... Seattle-area brokers?

Might be time to sell ... Seattle-area brokers? 08 Nov 2016 22:19 #1

• rodell
  • rodell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25
I've owned a US Marine product continuously since 1991 - and lived through the dubious quality years before that.

However, my 9 year old son has little interest in boating (despite my efforts) and I end up using the boat alone most of the time. I sure do hate the locks single handing. It might be time to sell.

Any recommendations for a broker in the Seattle area that will work, and not just put out a Yachtworld ad and wait for the phone call? If I sell I'm going to be realistic in my pricing as it is going to be very painful to me and I don't want to stretch it out.

This is a 2001 3488 with 950 hours, dual helm, dual vhf, dual plotters, radar, fish finder, bow&stern thrusters, built-in vacuum, vac-u-flush head, new autopilot, inverter, microwave, diesel heat, full canvas, sunshade canvas, propane stove, 10' 3" Walker bay w/15hp Mercury on Seawise Davit, remote spot light, cockpit carpet, two spare propellers, spare parts, crab gear, lots of lines, fenders, PFD's, and brand new injectors in the engines.

I'd like to find a broker who fits the profile of this kind of deal. Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Might be time to sell ... Seattle-area brokers? 09 Nov 2016 01:39 #2

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 355
Mark Rinker, Denison Yacht Sales. He belongs to Bellevue Yacht Club. Really good guy.

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Might be time to sell ... Seattle-area brokers? 09 Nov 2016 12:05 #3

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 964
"Any recommendations for a broker in the Seattle area that will work, and not just put out a Yachtworld ad and wait for the phone call? If I sell I'm going to be realistic in my pricing as it is going to be very painful to me and I don't want to stretch it out."

I am curious as to what would be on the list for a hard working selling broker to do?

Northport NY

Might be time to sell ... Seattle-area brokers? 09 Nov 2016 16:09 #4

• Albatross
  • Thank you received: 1
Typically, while you have entered the soft time of the year to sell your boat (the next 4 months), due to the unfavorable weather, start preparing for the spring sale by getting your boat in pristine appearance and mechanically correct in all aspects. Spring sale should bring you a better price than this late fall. Purchasers of boats use the fall/winter to shop around and familiarizing with market prices. Make it mechanically correct in all aspects so that a surveyor can write up a very favorable report. Have a written record of dates when the oil, antifreeze etc. and any mechanical problems that have been taken care of. Be able to show in writing how well you have maintained your craft. A favorable survey, a well maintained mechanically, clean, and well kept boat will bring a higher price and quicker sale. Use the next 4 months to study pricing so that you can correctly price your boat. Know what you have to get for your boat: play the game, and increase that price you need to get by 5% so that the offer made by the buyer (which will be at least 5% less than your asking price) will be covered. While sales people would like to list your boat right away, you will get mostly "lookey-loos" this time of the year which can be a pain in the arse. Don't forget to run/use your boat every couple of weeks during the winter so to eliminate the chance of problems developing from lack of use. Good luck.

Might be time to sell ... Seattle-area brokers? 09 Nov 2016 16:31 #5

• TenMile
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 215
For the hell of it -- I'd recommend putting together a detailed listing in the BOC Classifieds. There are several looking around now for this style of boat.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Might be time to sell ... Seattle-area brokers? 09 Nov 2016 18:53 #6

• MerlinV
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80
Bob
Call Dan Greenwood of Greenwood Yacht Services, Vancouver. Dan has been an independent broker for many years since leaving Olympic Boat Centers. He has been retained by one of his customers who is looking for your exact boat model. I have known Dan for years and he is honest & reliable.
His contact number is (604) 838-4540

Good luck

Rob
Bayliner 5788
'Merlin V'
Vancouver BC
Last Edit: by MerlinV. Reason: typo

Might be time to sell ... Seattle-area brokers? 10 Nov 2016 06:52 #7

• Captain TJ
Your online presence in marketing a vessel is ultimately important. I would also recommend spending 1 to 2 hundred dollars and getting professional photography done. It will showcase your boat to stand out online above the competition as most brokers use cell phone photos, just take a look on yachtworld. Then it just has to sell itself when they come aboard to check it out in person. We did this for our boat last year and sold it in less than a month. It did also show well in person which helps always.

Good luck

TJ & Marcie

Blue Moon
1988 Bayliner 3888 Motoryacht 175 hp Hinos
11' Achilles with 9.9 Merc tiller
Port Orchard, WA
The Admiral and I plus 3 little girls, I boat in an estrogen ocean! ;-)

Might be time to sell ... Seattle-area brokers? 10 Nov 2016 22:58 #8

• Nikko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 59

MerlinV wrote: Bob
Call Dan Greenwood of Greenwood Yacht Services, Vancouver. Dan has been an independent broker for many years since leaving Olympic Boat Centers. He has been retained by one of his customers who is looking for your exact boat model. I have known Dan for years and he is honest & reliable.

Good luck

+1
(I'd +2 if I could - Dan's awesome!)

Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron

Might be time to sell ... Seattle-area brokers? 13 Nov 2016 19:32 #9

• nuss
  • Thank you received: 1

Nikko wrote:

MerlinV wrote: Bob

Good luck

+3!!!

+1
(I'd +2 if I could - Dan's awesome!)

Might be time to sell ... Seattle-area brokers? 14 Nov 2016 01:12 #10

• ALASKAN ADVENTURER
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 22
why use a broker? sell it on BOC, you are not talking about a high end boat, I understand a 3488 is the best sea boat Bayliner made, unlike our 32XX

1988 3270
135 hinos
Seldovia ALASKA
KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
Marine canvas/Upholstery
since 1975

Might be time to sell ... Seattle-area brokers? 17 Nov 2016 17:42 #11

• rodell
  • rodell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thank you to all that replied here and via PM. I just spent ten days in the Montana wilderness - civilization is overrated.

I have some good pointers and even some potential buyers. All very gratifying. I just haven't quite made the leap to sell - I have a lot of time and sweat into the boat and do so love the water and even just fixing and upgrading. I'm close, but haven't been pushed over the edge - just yet.

If I do sell, it will not be a happy day, contrary to the usual school of thought!

Might be time to sell ... Seattle-area brokers? 18 Nov 2016 16:39 #12

• ALASKAN ADVENTURER
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 22
Sorry , I was thinking your boat was a different style. or maybe the older 3488 was different,
Good luck on your sale when it happens.

1988 3270
135 hinos
Seldovia ALASKA
KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
Marine canvas/Upholstery
since 1975
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds