Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Turning the page

Turning the page 03 Feb 2016 00:37 #1

• winemaker54
  • winemaker54's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Everyone,
After 40 years of trimming sails and running under wind, I'm turning in the tiller. After a long talk with the first mate and some soul searching, we've decided that going power is where we need to head. That being said, I've spent the winter searching for the boat of our dreams. Our list is fairly long and what I want isn't necessarily what the first mate wants. You've heard the joke about a horse by committee, right? I've found that boats are even harder to find when you make a wish list than a horse by committee (yeah, it's called a camel)

Anyways, I believe we've found our "perfect boat". Unbelievable... Economical to run, fantastic 2 stateroom cabin, all the neat toys (air, gen, etc.) must be affordable to buy and even a flybridge. there's only one boat out of hundreds in it's size range. The Bayliner 32xx series. We've started our hunt and have found 2 so far. Being in boating for 4 decades, I've heard all the bad press about Bayliners. The only thing I can say about that is if a boat has been on the water for 30+ years and still looks good and operates properly, there is NOTHING wrong with it. I've torn apart ultra expensive sailboats and have been horrified at the way they've been built. I've also been on the "bargain boats" and have seen them withstand punishment that would have sunk the high dollar brands.

So, for us Bayliner is the brand, the 32 motoryacht is the model. I'm keenly interested in it's strong points and weaknesses. I know that any thirty something year old boat is going to need some TLC. I have about a million questions and I'm thinking this is the place to find the information needed to make a Bayliner our dreamboat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Turning the page 03 Feb 2016 00:41 #2

• canoel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 676
Welcome to the forum!!
You will like it here, a great bunch of people.
Maybe start another thread under the motor yacht section, with the title "looking to purchase 32xx", or something like that,and you will get more responses.

Joel

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

Turning the page 03 Feb 2016 14:56 #3

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 253
Welcome to the BOC. You've come to the right place!

I've moved your thread to Motoryachts, so it gets more attention.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Turning the page 03 Feb 2016 17:01 #4

• p91473
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Check out www.bayliner32xx.com for some insight on this model. Lots of good info here as well. Good luck in your search. The 32xx is my favorite before the 47. And if you can find a 94 or 95 model, that's the one to get.

1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
2014 Sea Fox 22 Center Console
2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport

Vero Beach, Fl.
Last Edit: by p91473.

Turning the page 03 Feb 2016 17:34 #5

• freedre
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188
Welcome to the darkside winemaker :)

We love our 3270 and I refer to the 32xx series as "Natures Perfect Boat".

If you can swing it - go for the Hino diesel option over gas. HOWEVER gas will serve you just fine.

Give us a little info about yourself and where you will be boating and we may be able to help you with your search.

Ron

PS - I'm also a winemaker :cheer:

Ron

Midnight Star
1996 3587
Twin diesels, Hino 250's
Ladysmith, BC
History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Turning the page 03 Feb 2016 17:36 #6

• freedre
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 188

p91473 wrote: Check out www.bayliner32xx.com for some insight on this model. Lots of good info here as well. Good luck in your search. The 32xx is my favorite before the 47. And if you can find a 94 or 95 model, that's the one to get.

+1 on all of the above :)

Midnight Star
1996 3587
Twin diesels, Hino 250's
Ladysmith, BC
History: 1996 - 2655, 2001 - 2855, 1984 - 3270

Turning the page 03 Feb 2016 19:18 #7

• Uncle Bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 132
Had a '94 for 16 years. First lesson is there is a reason for the price difference between the cheap ones and the high priced ones. Some have been babied and some neglected. You'll know as soon as you look, but once you find one that fits you, you need a good surveyor. There's lots of wood and wood rots when wet. The frame of the bridge seats are wood. The fuel tanks are on wood. The flat surface fiberglass has wood coring. The arch has wood. If any of this is soft, you're in for cost. Moisture meters and tapping hammers will locate soft wood.

1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Turning the page 03 Feb 2016 20:20 #8

• CapMartin
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 107
Went through the same "drama" 6 years ago after 34 years of sailing.

We love our 3270.

As for any boat of 25-30 years, a good survey is the key for success.

For the rest, this forum has been a goldmine of information and help from the members.

Just ask and welcome aboard!

CapMartin, Montréal
"Belle de Dalhousie"
1986 3270
Volvo BB225B

Turning the page 03 Feb 2016 21:02 #9

• geoxsail
  • 93' 3288 150 hinos
  • Thank you received: 8
Welcome ! This is a great forum. I'm working on seven years with our 93' 3288 w/ the 150 hinos. I also came from sail (30' sloop). My 1st boat was a formula w/ a 350 Chevy (gas)... to the sail (small diesel) then... the 32 w/ the hinos. There are many opinions you will read about engine choice. I love the hinos. The deadrise is only 6 degrees, (nice shallow draft) but in strong wind it slides. It has soft chines so at anchor it rolls a bit. All in all this boat makes the best use of space of any 32. We love it. The broker told me sailors gravitate toward this boat... Guess it's true ! and yes survey. Best of luck.

Welcome again George

Turning the page 03 Feb 2016 22:18 #10

• Cptmorgan
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 47
Welcome. There are a few of us ex-blow boaters with Bayliners motor yachts. It was another sailor that got us into our first 3888. I miss the romance of sailing, but have no regrets, especially when it is raining....

1997 Bayliner 4788 "Mostly Harmless"
Sold: 1990 Bayliner 3888

Turning the page 04 Feb 2016 16:16 #11

• Jim Gandee
  • Retired Fireman, Los Angeles
  • Thank you received: 181
Winemaker,

The 32's are great boats no doubt. I don't see where you're located or what your typical usage is but if you and the admiral spend significant time aboard and/or enjoy trips of length that would require days on board I'd suggest you at least look at the 38XX series. They are obviously larger and more spacious than the 32 and in many cases the price delta isn't that great. Good luck in your search however you choose to proceed!

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds