TOPIC: POP YACHTS

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 01:02 #1

• RAVEN SONG
  • RAVEN SONG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has used POP yachts either selling or buying and what their experience was.

Thanks for the input,
Trevor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 01:21 #2

• canoel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 674
I do not have personal experience, but I hear a lot of people complaining.

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 01:38 #3

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 964
There have been a few of these posts - responses were not good.
Perhaps do a search "POP Yachts Baylinerownersclub"..

Northport NY

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 01:53 #4

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 02:39 #5

• kwb
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 87
I haven't used them but I can tell you as a frequent browser of ads for boats (because I am always shopping for the next one) I don't bother with the POP yachts ads because I can't casually browse without registering with the site.

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 02:42 #6

• Fire Escape II
  • Thank you received: 9
I also pass on the Pop Yachts ads.

Rick
1994 3288 w/ 150 Hinos

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 04:37 #7

• Big Ben
  • Thank you received: 6
Bought my boat through POP yachts. Only because I found the exact boat I wanted, at a great price and close by.

I have no bad feedback or horror stories and everything went smooth. But then again I was the buyer so the commission was not my problem just a $500 fee I had to pay. But they UPS expressed all documents and titles and got everything ready for me to bring the boat into Canada. So yes I paid $500 for a few documents but with the price I paid for the boat I was still way ahead.

Just like buying a house. I had an agent and seller had an agent. Would I look only at POP yachts site for my next boat - no. But would I shy away from them or not use them again - no.

Dave
Nanaimo, BC

2005 242
5.7/Bravo II
Last Edit: by Big Ben.

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 04:44 #8

• RPrather
  • Mankato,Mn
  • Thank you received: 37
I purchased my boat through pop yachts. My only negative experience was the fees that I had to pay that they dont tell you about up front. What I did was to talk to the owner and we agreed to split them. The escrow of funds and having someone else take care of the paper work and documents was a nice feature. I would do it again if it meant getting the boat I wanted.

1995 2858 7.4 B2 (Present boat)
1988 2655 460 KC
1987 2150 5.0 Cobra
Commercial/Ind HVAC/R Service Tech.

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 08:44 #9

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451

kwb wrote: I haven't used them but I can tell you as a frequent browser of ads for boats (because I am always shopping for the next one) I don't bother with the POP yachts ads because I can't casually browse without registering with the site.

+1. I have no use for POP Yachts either. $500 fee??? For what? More BS...

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 14:07 #10

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252

Jeffw wrote:

kwb wrote: I haven't used them but I can tell you as a frequent browser of ads for boats (because I am always shopping for the next one) I don't bother with the POP yachts ads because I can't casually browse without registering with the site.

+1. I have no use for POP Yachts either. $500 fee??? For what? More BS...

It sounds like it might be customs brokering. If so, $500 is a bit high but not bad. I paid $400 when I imported the Tiara in '08.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 14:42 #11

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 355
I have never purchased nor sold thru them, but have had a few experiences in other areas.

I looked at a few boats they had listed. All needed work that was not disclosed. More often than not you are meeting with the owner and sometimes they are clueless. I had one guy tell me the 350MAG MPI's in his 2000 340 Sea Ray were unique only to that boat.

If you register, expect to be harassed with emails and phone calls. When I asked them to stop with the emails I was told it is all automated and would continue to receive them.

As a seller, if you sell your boat by any other means while listed thru them, you are required to pay them all the fee's and commission.

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 15:02 #12

• ken51k
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Haddam ,CT
  • Thank you received: 64
I looked at a couple of boats through POP Yachts and person from POP Yachts knew nothing about either boat. I could not ask him anything about the boat and get an answer.
I feel their "Brokers" are just some guy off the street who knows nothing about boats. Plus once they get your number they hound you all the time. Calling with stuff your not even interested in.

1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
5.7 Bravo 3

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 16:09 #13

• crazy_russian
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2005 Bayliner 222 EC hardtop
  • Thank you received: 55

RPrather wrote: I purchased my boat through pop yachts. My only negative experience was the fees that I had to pay that they dont tell you about up front. What I did was to talk to the owner and we agreed to split them. The escrow of funds and having someone else take care of the paper work and documents was a nice feature. I would do it again if it meant getting the boat I wanted.

Had exact same experience when buying my 222. No complaints.

2005 Bayliner 222 hardtop, 5.0 2 bbl carb, 14x19 SS prop, 18x9 Bennet trim tabs with EIC. Noland analog to NMEA 2000 converter, Garmin GFS 10 fuel flow sensor

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 16:11 #14

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 612
When I bought my current boat there were a couple that I was interested in listed in Pop Yachts. The moment that I realized that I needed to register to see all the information I passed. In my mind if somebody wants to sell me something they need to allow me to see all the information without registering, like Yactworld, Craigslist, BoatTrader, etc.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 17:25 #15

• tower3218
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 28
I tried using POP Yachts when selling my 3218. All they are is a glorified internet lister with a big commission. Sure they sent a couple of perspective buyers but did not get involved at all. I had to show the boat at a convenient time for both of us. Living 3 hours away, those times were limited. Lost out on potential sales due to the limitations. Go with a local broker. You'll get much better service.

Greg A.
1994 4788
"Simplicity"
2002 Capri 175
"Little GFI"
Boat on the Sac/San Joaquin Delta

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 18:20 #16

• NeilW
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Alameda, CA
  • Thank you received: 277
POP yachts is an embarrassment to my industry. They hire non boaters in many cases to work as salesmen. Another back handed thing they do is list your boat, then hold you hostage when you finally realize they suck and try to pull the listing. How they get away with this is they say they had many buyers who had contacted them (in reality is just the people who registered online to view the boat) and demand full commission if you or another broker sells the boat to their supposed "lead"

They are so bad they are no longer allowed on www.yachtworld.com , which IMHO is the best sales tool available to us brokers.

Beware POP Yachts!

www.boatyardgm.com
www.pacificyachtimports.net
2002 Carver Voyager 57
"Making Waves"
3988 250 Hinos
"The Dark Side"
Alameda, California

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 19:28 #17

• fulltiltron
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 26
Without going completely negative here, I will simply say this......it is essentially a massive internet call center operation. Sales reps are not employees, they are "independent contractor" work from home emailers. Getting "hired" here does not even require an interview. Just an uncovered territory within 30 miles of your home. Buyers registering? That is not even a requirement. Once a buyer happens to even look at a popyachts listing on line, your email is stored in their database and nonstop automatic emails are sent to you from your "local rep" unless you respond with a "do not contact me again" . pop listings are simply Craigslist sellers who have agreed to contract with pop to list their boat. That is their listing source primarily.

1994 2655 Cierra
Home port...San Pedro, CA
Enjoying life

POP YACHTS 27 Jan 2016 23:11 #18

• Daniac
  • Thank you received: 10
Agree 100% with NeilW!
I Own and operate several Marine businesses including a very busy boat brokerage. Meet your broker and discuss his experience, talk to his manager if the company is large enough to have one. My advise is list local and make sure they disclose all advertising venues they will apply to your listing, magazines, internet, like Yacth World..etc. This is a service industry and you are the customer. All the brokers in the country should be able to find your boat for sale with minimal research. Ask if they will co-broker, good brokerages always find a way to work together. The real good ones should always meet or exceed your expectations.

Brian
Owner: Pacific Boat Brokers Inc

Brian
2002 4788 Bayliner
Annalise II

POP YACHTS 28 Jan 2016 00:54 #19

• RPrather
  • Mankato,Mn
When I sold my 88 2655 I listed it on CL and on boat trader I will never do that again. I got tire kickers and time wasters and of course lots of spam and scam artists. I ended up listing it with a broker in Duluth MN that required a $500 deposit before he would give the prospective buyer my phone number, doing so cuts down on the crap. If the prospect didnt pan out it was up to me if they got their deposit back which wasn't an issue as the first person to look at it bought it.

1988 2655 460 KC
1987 2150 5.0 Cobra
Last Edit: by RPrather.

POP YACHTS 28 Jan 2016 04:04 #20

• NeilW
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Alameda, CA

RPrather wrote: When I sold my 88 2655 I listed it on CL and on boat trader I will never do that again. I got tire kickers and time wasters and of course lots of spam and scam artists. I ended up listing it with a broker in Duluth MN that required a $500 deposit before he would give the prospective buyer my phone number, doing so cuts down on the crap. If the prospect didnt pan out it was up to me if they got their deposit back which wasn't an issue as the first person to look at it bought it.

Never heard of a non refundable deposit just to call an owner. Illegal here in CA

www.boatyardgm.com
2002 Carver Voyager 57
"Making Waves"
3988 250 Hinos
"The Dark Side"
Alameda, California

POP YACHTS 28 Jan 2016 04:40 #21

• RPrather
  • Mankato,Mn
I have no idea if its legal or not but I got tired of launching it and loading it back up for time wasting joy riders. It weeds out the people who are not serious.

1988 2655 460 KC
1987 2150 5.0 Cobra

POP YACHTS 28 Jan 2016 05:34 #22

• NeilW
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Alameda, CA

RPrather wrote: I have no idea if its legal or not but I got tired of launching it and loading it back up for time wasting joy riders. It weeds out the people who are not serious.

No doubt, don't blame you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RAVEN SONG

www.boatyardgm.com
2002 Carver Voyager 57
"Making Waves"
3988 250 Hinos
"The Dark Side"
Alameda, California

POP YACHTS 28 Jan 2016 22:48 #23

• RAVEN SONG
  • RAVEN SONG's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 12
thank-you all, I sincerely appreciate your honest comments :cheer: What a great blog we have to help steer us in the right heading!

POP YACHTS 29 Jan 2016 00:41 #24

• johnep
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 27
When I listed my boat for sale on Craigslist I got three e-mails from them. They wanted to list my boat with them but I passed. I got bombarded with e-mails from them over the next few weeks to reconsider. I asked them to stop but they just kept sending them. I would not even consider using them. Just my 2 cents.

POP YACHTS 29 Jan 2016 23:52 #25

• rbcooper
  • Thank you received: 5
I've bought and sold many boats (probably due to the extended time I've been on this earth). I've bought from several brokerages and handled the sale of all of my own boats. One thing to be clear about is to price the boat correctly. You can be under priced as well as over priced and that WILL have an effect on the number and quality of prospective buyers. I sold one of my boats by raising the price. People think that if it's so cheap it probably isn't worth it. These are procedures that I've used to help in the sale:

1) Presentation is critical. You only get a finite number of prospective clients so make sure the boat shows well when the prospective buyer shows up to view it. This means that everything is ship shape and all systems functional when they first view it.

2) Only very serious buyers get a chance to even start the engines. You are in control here. A few quick questions should let you know just how serious the party is and if they really can handle the exchange ( both financially and operationally ). Treat ALL respondents with respect but they have to convince you they are not just "tire kickers".

3) NO ONE gets a "ride" on the boat until you have an agreed contract in place. They have the right to refuse the deal either after the survey or seatrial. But you have their earnest money in hand which represents some commitment to completing the deal. I usually tell prospective clients that have gotten to this stage IF they have any doubts to go out and compare the boat to any others on the market in the area.

All of these items should be handled by any competent broker. The POP Yachts group just seems like an unnecessary middle man inserted in the process. You either handle the 3 items yourself or you pay a competent broker the fees to do this for you. By the way I believe a good broker earns every penny he takes from the deal.

Regards,

RB Cooper

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds