Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 38XX Manicooler maintenance

38XX Manicooler maintenance 18 Jan 2016 03:29 #51

• aklett
  • Thank you received: 0
I have currently drained both power-plants and removed inspection covers, end caps. Port side is pretty clean, only a small amount of scale that has apparently sluffed off tube bundle collected on bottom inspection covers. I'm just pressure washing the insides and and putting it back together with fresh coolant. The starboard side is a different story, when I purchased the boat over a year ago the coolant was pretty muddy on starboard, I flushed substantially last fall until all I got was clean water and refilled with new coolant. Sometime in the spring this power-plant started seeping coolant at most inspection covers, coolant has stayed clean all year though. None the less it was time to do some tear down, when I removed the end caps it became apparent that the bundle had leaked salt water into coolant at some point in timeline prior to my ownership. Someone has "repaired" the bundle by screwing some machine screws in either end of a tube and sealing with some hard white substance. It is apparent that it ran prior to the repair for some time due to a substantial amount of hard white taburcle growth on most internal coolant passages. My question to the group regards what my best options are to "clean" the engine coolant passages? I have removed the manicooler and will scrub it out and have the bundle assessed by a radiator shop. I'm not sure I'm going to go for ceramic coating, there is virtually no pitting or material erosion on either manicooler. With regular inspections, maintenance and coolant changes I can't imagine these that are already 30 years old will not last another 20 easily.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Adam Klett
Everett Yacht Club
"Kickin' It" 1986 Bayliner 3870
Hino EH700's Turbo/Intercooled, Mathers Electronic Controls

38XX Manicooler maintenance 18 Jan 2016 11:24 #52

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 966
"My question to the group regards what my best options are to "clean" the engine coolant passages?"

If you feel you need a flush in addition to the steps you are taking utilize any aluminum safe car/truck flushing agent in the recommended ratios for that flush. Since your boats coolant system holds more (about 25 qts) than twice the capacity of a typical trucks system you will need more than one bottle' per engine for flushing.
Please do a great job of rinsing out the flushing agent after use with at least two good rounds of a water rinse cold to hot engine as the flushing instructions will instruct.

Hope this helps

Northport NY

38XX Manicooler maintenance 23 Jan 2016 19:33 #53

• gary webster
  • Thank you received: 0
Jim: Thanks for the info re the shop in Rancho Cucamonga. I think I met you at the Isthmus a few years ago. I have a 38 with a hardtop over the cockpit and green canvas. Bare Necessities. Hope to see you next summer. Where did you get your gaskets and O rings?

Gary

38XX Manicooler maintenance 23 Jan 2016 19:51 #54

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 966
"Where did you get your gaskets and O rings?"

Near you...
Earl - www.baylinerguru.com/
North Harbor diesel

Northport NY
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds