Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3788 Salon Door Roller Replacement

3788 Salon Door Roller Replacement 30 Nov 2014 01:08 #1

• Norton Rider
  • Norton Rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 622
The salon door on my 1999, 3788 was hard to open and close, so I decided to replace the rollers. First of all I want to thank Ron Krupka (Smitty477) for the well written explanation on door roller replacement that he has posted a number of times. Second, I want to post a few observations and photos that may be helpful to others.

Door and roller removal
Pretty much like Ron described in his instructions.

Roller assemblies and rollers
The roller assemblies on my boat looked pretty much like the photos others have posted. See the photo of the Meridian rollers posted by Rob (Merlin4087) here: www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...90-door-parts#236908 . Unlike the 1-1/4 inch diameter that Ron mentioned in his post, the rollers on my boat are 1-1/2 inch diameter.

I originally wanted to replace the rollers and roller brackets as an assembly. From the Prime-Line website ( prime-line-products.com ) it appears that I may have been able to use their part number D-1960 or D-1959, drilled out the pivot rivet, and extracted the roller/roller bracket. Unfortunately, I could not find either part locally and did not want to wait. Instead, I decided to use the existing brackets and replace the rollers themselves. The rollers were easy to find. The local Ace Hardware store had them at $4.00 each. Note that the store did not have 1-1/2 inch rollers with the rest of the sliding door hardware. I found them in the fastener area, in one of the specialized parts bins.

To remove the rollers from the brackets I carefully drilled the peened axle head. After looking at a number of alternatives for the axles, I settled on hollow aluminum spacers that I found at Ace Hardware. These spacers come in a variety of inside and outside diameters and lengths. The 1/4" OD X #6 screw (non threaded) ID X 1/2" long spacers worked perfect. The hollow cross section allowed me to peen over each end on the bracket. I made a tool to do this by grinding the end of a 1/4" bolt.

In the photos you can see a roller bracket with a new roller installed and a new axle. You can also see the roller assembly installed. I included a photo of the cavity where the roller goes. The screw that you see is the roller height adjustor. It presses on the outside of the roller bracket. I also included a photo of the lower side of the door showing the hex-head of the adjustor screw. To adjust the height you insert a long Allen wrench through this hole and rotate the adjustor, as required.

Installed Roller Assy

Partially Installed Roller Assy

New Roller Installed in Bracket Using a Hollow Spacer for Axle and Extra Hollow Spacer

Roller Height Adjuster on Door

Roller Height Adjuster on Door

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: higgins_jr, Woodsea, billydie
1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA
Last Edit: by Norton Rider.
The topic has been locked.

3788 Salon Door Roller Replacement 21 Oct 2015 12:38 #2

• billydie
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Norton Rider and my friend Smitty,
Thanks for all the good help on the sliding door, I appreciate all of it.
How heavy is the door on the 3788? It looks like I will need some help turning it sideways to get the bottom roller assy off.
There was a utube video that the fellow had to drive it off with a 2x4 and a hammer , is that the case for the 3788?
Is it possible the axil does not have to be peaned , as the side walls would retain it?
Bill

3788 Salon Door Roller Replacement 21 Oct 2015 13:23 #3

• Norton Rider
  • Away
Bill

The door will come off easily if you follow Smitty's instructions. It is quite heavy and it slips easily on the deck. I recommended putting down an old rug, furniture blanket, etc. first. I took the door off by myself but had help getting it on the dock and carrying it to my truck (I did all the work at home).

If you manage to find the complete wheel carrier assemblies it will be a simple matter of removing and replacing them. If you replace the wheels on your carriers, I recommended peening the axle ends. The hollow aluminum spacers that I used for axles worked well. Because they were hollow i was able to peen each end with a punch. Ace Hardware had the spacers and wheels in their open stock bins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: smitty477, billydie
Anacortes, WA

3788 Salon Door Roller Replacement 21 Oct 2015 18:54 #4

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 358
Try this site for door rollers
all about doors and windows

www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&...m=bv.105814755,d.cWw
Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

3788 Salon Door Roller Replacement 28 Oct 2015 01:52 #5

• pizze1
  • Thank you received: 18
You do not need to drill out the pin that holds the wheel in place. The pin will tap out one-way. Save the pin, replace the wheel (got mine at Ace Hardware) and tap pin back in. Very quick and a lot easier than it looks. You do not need to peen the end your tapping back in.
Last Edit: by pizze1.

3788 Salon Door Roller Replacement 28 Oct 2015 02:15 #6

• Norton Rider
  • Away

pizze1 wrote: You do not need to drill out the pin that holds the wheel in place. The pin will tap out one-way. Save the pin, replace the wheel (got mine at Ace Hardware) and tap pin back in. Very quick and a lot easier than it looks. You do not need to peen the end your tapping back in.

There may be differences between your boat an a 3788. The roller axles on my boat were peened on both ends. I had to drill one end to get them out. Once this was done they were too short. This is why I replaced the axles. Also, the clearance between the axle ends and the door frame were too much. If I had left the axles unpeened on one end they would eventually work their way out. I suppose I could have bought longer axles but it was a lot easier to get the right length and peen both ends.
Anacortes, WA
Last Edit: by Norton Rider.

3788 Salon Door Roller Replacement 30 Oct 2015 01:54 #7

• pizze1
  • Thank you received: 18
Yours may be different. I have seen to often in the past, recommending drilling out the pin. Totally unnecessary and a waste of time for the doors where I replaced wheels.
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds