Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Looking for Alaska BOC Folks

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 03 Mar 2015 19:39 #26

• Jollyquick
  • Jollyquick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Greetings,

I'd like to take a moment to say thank you to all the folks that have provided positive (and patiently detailed) feedback to all our uneducated questions and "what if" situational analysis. Due to your thoughtful comments and PMs we are now visiting a marina and a boat half way around the world from our home in Germany this Summer in Seward AK. How cool is that? Our personal dreams for retirement working themselves out in a semi-anonymous forum of good folks willing to give their honest feedback...go figure.

In particular Will and Kevin have been ridiculously helpful...and patient.

"So shines a good deed in a weary world..."

Thank you.

Trevor and Natalie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 03 Mar 2015 22:54 #27

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357
You should like Seward, I have had a boat in Seward harbor since 1993, Kevin's boat is a 5 minute walk from mine on the next dock.
Seward is a major port for many cruise ships.

Pat

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 04 Mar 2015 17:14 #28

• ksanders
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 234
Well, its march and spring is upon Seward. Yippee!!!

I'll be heading down to check on the boat and start the dewinterizing process this weekend and will probably be onboard through the 15th or so.

If anybody is in seward around that time frame, please stop by and say hello! I should be on the boat full time unless I'm out shopping.

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 04 Mar 2015 17:16 #29

• Jollyquick
Kevin,

Do you pull your boat out over the winter or leave her in wet dock year round?

Trevor

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 04 Mar 2015 21:09 #30

• ksanders
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Trevor I leave my boat in the water, winterized of course.

I have boatwatch, an alarm system and even cameras so I'm pretty aware of whats going on with it at alll times.

Here's a live photo

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 04 Mar 2015 21:53 #31

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

ksanders wrote: Well, its march and spring is upon Seward. Yippee!!!

I'll be heading down to check on the boat and start the dewinterizing process this weekend and will probably be onboard through the 15th or so.

If anybody is in seward around that time frame, please stop by and say hello! I should be on the boat full time unless I'm out shopping.

Hi! I will be leaving FL for Seward about mid May, will be hauling out for bottom paint and I will be gel coating the hull.
Seward gets quite nice in May, I remember being is Ailiak bay in mid May fishing in a T shirt fishing out of my 16 ft Zodiac
Pat, ALASKA 33, D dock

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 07 Mar 2015 16:58 #32

• RinnyBeth
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6
greetings from southeast Alaska.. we live in the Juneau area

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 11 Mar 2015 13:35 #33

• Jollyquick
Greetings,

What Alaska boat safety classes should we plan on taking? We're new to boating (not counting being mooching guests on our friend's boat or the occasional water skiing adventure). We're overwhelmed with the various courses and organizations that are available, for example, "BoatUS, USCGAUX, BoatED, & AMSEA" all provide various boat safety training--some free others for a nominal fee. We're planning on purchasing a 4588/4788/490 in the next two years and the boat will be only for person pleasure (not-commercial) use. We will be a crew of 2-3 most of the time. I'm a retired Air Force pilot and do have hands on experience with aeronautical navigation, radar, meteorology, and aerodynamics--but none of the marine version of those skills.

We have four objectives, listed in priority:

1. Equip ourselves with the skills to operate a 50 foot boat safely and competently in Alaska waters, primarily the coastal areas of the Gulf of Alaska and marine highway.
2. Be responsible, contributing members of the Alaska boating community.
3. Comply with any Federal and Alaska State marine law.
4. Reduce our boat insurance premiums by completing recognized marine safety course(s).

As always, thanks in advance for your responses.

VR

Trevor & Natalie

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 11 Mar 2015 16:28 #34

• ksanders
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Jollyquick wrote: Greetings,

What Alaska boat safety classes should we plan on taking? We're new to boating (not counting being mooching guests on our friend's boat or the occasional water skiing adventure). We're overwhelmed with the various courses and organizations that are available, for example, "BoatUS, USCGAUX, BoatED, & AMSEA" all provide various boat safety training--some free others for a nominal fee. We're planning on purchasing a 4588/4788/490 in the next two years and the boat will be only for person pleasure (not-commercial) use. We will be a crew of 2-3 most of the time. I'm a retired Air Force pilot and do have hands on experience with aeronautical navigation, radar, meteorology, and aerodynamics--but none of the marine version of those skills.

We have four objectives, listed in priority:

1. Equip ourselves with the skills to operate a 50 foot boat safely and competently in Alaska waters, primarily the coastal areas of the Gulf of Alaska and marine highway.
2. Be responsible, contributing members of the Alaska boating community.
3. Comply with any Federal and Alaska State marine law.
4. Reduce our boat insurance premiums by completing recognized marine safety course(s).

As always, thanks in advance for your responses.

VR

Trevor & Natalie

OK, its good you are thinking of this early.

You really need to contact a marine insurance agent before you get any more serious to see what their requirements are. If you send a PM I'll reply with my agents name.

The reason I say this is that in order to buy insurance, with Alaska as a cruising ground you might have some specific requirements before hand. Like getting some experience, or suggested schools to attend. I'm not sure because the "normal" path to large boat operation is small boats and a progression over time in size and complexity.

The issue deserves checking on at the least.

I can tell you that this March trip to the boat has taught me the power of Seward Alaskas cold potential. It was in the 40's when I arrived and all was happy. Now its 15, and the wind is from the north at 25 gusting to 35. What that means is that its frigging cold on the boat! This kind of cold only happens a few times a year but you want to be prepared.

I have three forced air furnaces, a 10KBTU in the salon, another 10KBTU in the staterooms and a 7.5KBTU for the pilothouse. All three are running full blast. I'm also running the built in electric heaters in the salon and the forward stateroom. I have a 50 amp shore power, which you will need to get the harbor to install BTW, but in order to warm up the engine room to do some work in there, I'm running the generator full time, which I think is actually better because I do not really trust pulling allot of amps through the shore power connectors.

I'm saying all this because I'm seeing a Seward Alaska that I've never had to see before. I'm not here full time, but you will be.

If it were my choice of places to spend the winter to be honest Seward Alaska would not be it. My retirement goals for our boat include Seward in the summer (since we have a house nearby) and somewhere warmer in the winter. Southern California, Mexico, something like that. Washington in the rain shadow is also nice, or nicer than here at least.

As an idea, you could come here, buy a boat and establish Alaskan residency. That makes you an Alaskan for taxes. Then move your boat south, but keep cruising. Keep your eye on the calendar as Washington has a limited time in their state before they automatically tax you. California is simple, just cruise. Don't look like or act like a resident and you'll avoid their taxes. Get a slip in Ensenada for the winter at $500 a month, and enjoy life. Then slowly work your way back north and enjoy our great Alaskan summers.

That's an easy plan. Actually that's my plan, and the 4788 is a great boat for that.

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com
Last Edit: by ksanders.

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 14 Mar 2015 11:49 #35

• Jollyquick
Kevin,

We sent you a PM per your kind offer.

To clarify our plan is:

1. Visit Seward and the marina this Summer with the whole family to see if Seward "the reality" meets our vision (similarities to the climate in Keflavik, Iceland, stores, banks, restaurants, housing availability etc.)

2. While there we'll take a look at your and Will's 4788s at your convenience to see what my wife thinks. I'm sold on the specs and online research I've done, however my wife is a "visual" person and has to see something to fully appreciate it. We may also do a quick run to Anacortes to view additional boats.

3. If 1 and 2 go well, then we'll rent an apartment in Seward sometime around Dec 2016 and plan on living out of the rental until we have found our boat if we haven't purchased one already. There is no rush on this as my wife and I will be relocating an entire household (read: what I can't get rid of prior to leaving) from Germany.

4. Once we have the boat we'll keep the apartment for at least the short term. We will Summer in Seward and Winter with the family in Germany, Hawaii, and the lower 48 or simply military hop around the world space available out of JBER. The boat will be put it on the "hard" for the Winter months. Alternatively we may do what you do and head down to Ensenada one winter to see what that's like. We'd likely follow you in your wake our first time (quietly and unimposing of course) to benefit from your experience.

5. If 1 and/or 2 fail we'll use the fallback plan to the homestead in New Hampshire and Seward will become a fond memory. As I've learned from years of experience, an unhappy wife = an unhappy life...and life is too short to be unhappy.

We're attempting to learn everything we can as far out as possible and are continuously reviewing and updating the plan.

I must mention that the feedback from you and others on this site have helped our plan to be "so far so good" and that is greatly appreciated.

Trevor & Natalie

Last Edit: by Jollyquick.

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 14 Mar 2015 18:37 #36

• ksanders
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
It sounds like you have a good plan Trevor. Actually spending some time here is a very good thing prior to relocating.

It sounds to me like you are about to retire out of the Military. Your options are open, now all you have to do is figure out whats best for you and whats best for your wife.

Just a FYI, my plans to cruise south are so far just plans. I'm all for it, but the admrial loves her home even if its surrounded by ice 6 months out of the year. Its her ice castle. So, I'm not sure how thats going to work out.

This winter we visited Hawaii, San Diego, Sequim, and Whidby Island looking for a place to at least stay for the winter. I of course fell in love but the wife is still tied to Alaska and her folks so we'll see what the future holds. I'm saying this because as you indicated men do not really make the big decisions. Our wives let us think we are making them.

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 14 Mar 2015 22:25 #37

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
A lot of marriage issues come up when the wife is in Alaska and not experienced there, The guys like it and many wives leave.
I travel back and forth from Seward.
I re-enlisted just to get to Alaska. Korea then Alaska, then out.
Great when I was younger (I am 70) and now I stay on my boat for 3 1/2 months in Seward and then winter in Florida, Gainesville, FL has one of the best VA hospitals in the country.
Sounds like you have several options, they look like working options, good luck on you retirement, enjoy it with your family.

Pat

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 31 Mar 2015 18:11 #38

• Jollyquick
Kevin,

We've already retired from the military, we're actually retiring from a second career in Europe.

My hopes are that because my wife fell in love with Iceland (the climate, the seasons, the people, the attitude) that it will transfer even just a little bit to Seward. Seward has a lot more to offer than Keflavik Iceland did. Seward has a Train station, a Safeway and a Bakery--that's a pretty big upgrade from our home in Iceland.

I like your cruise plans, even if they are only just plans. Something led you to your conclusion and I can use that educated decision matrix to help build my own plans in the future.

Kevin & Pat,

I concur with both your assessments about wives. They absolutely must be happy, no matter what that definition is--and they can change their minds. Otherwise my life will be total hell until I get it right. That's why we're planning so far out and, hopefully, meticulously.

Trevor

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 03 Apr 2015 17:15 #39

• Flammy
Hello,

I was snooping around and reading your posts and would like to offer my two cents worth.

As far as the same climate as Iceland, My opinion is Alaska and Seward's weather is much better! We were stationed Keflavik in the late 80s early 90s. Alaska and Seward is warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter and not nearly as much wind!!

I also saw that you had mentioned Whittier. We live in Anchorage and have a Bayliner 4550 in Whittier at Cliffside. The convenience and location of Whittier is great for us being at the gateway of Prince William Sound and all it has to offer, but it takes a special breed to live in Whittier. You can cross with ease (seas permitting) from Resurrection Bay to PWS and it is a beautiful cruise. A book I highly recommend when cruising PWS is Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound by Jim and Nancy Lethcoe.

Good luck to you and your family!

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 04 Apr 2015 03:58 #40

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Jollyquick wrote: Kevin,

We've already retired from the military, we're actually retiring from a second career in Europe.

My hopes are that because my wife fell in love with Iceland (the climate, the seasons, the people, the attitude) that it will transfer even just a little bit to Seward. Seward has a lot more to offer than Keflavik Iceland did. Seward has a Train station, a Safeway and a Bakery--that's a pretty big upgrade from our home in Iceland.

I like your cruise plans, even if they are only just plans. Something led you to your conclusion and I can use that educated decision matrix to help build my own plans in the future.

Kevin & Pat,

I concur with both your assessments about wives. They absolutely must be happy, no matter what that definition is--and they can change their minds. Otherwise my life will be total hell until I get it right. That's why we're planning so far out and, hopefully, meticulously.

Trevor

Seward also has a small Providence hospital.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 05 Apr 2015 03:15 #41

• ksanders
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Flammy wrote: Hello,

I
I also saw that you had mentioned Whittier. We live in Anchorage and have a Bayliner 4550 in Whittier at Cliffside. The convenience and location of Whittier is great for us being at the gateway of Prince William Sound and all it has to offer, but it takes a special breed to live in Whittier.

I "lived" in Whittier for 6 years including winters wortking a week on week off shift.

AND

I worked at the head of the bay at GCI's submarine Fiber Optic station.

One person, in the winter go to work before anybody wakes up. Get off work after the town shuts down.

Sometimes I wouldnt see another human all week.

Yes, it takes a special breed. Or a messed up breed. :sick:

In the summer it was GREAT. Spending time on your boat in the afternoons on cell phone call, and getting paid was FANTASTIC!!!

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 05 Apr 2015 04:52 #42

• sparkyinak1968
  • Thank you received: 6
Sounds like normal weather to me. The biggest in hi can think of. The waters here can be tricky. Tides, currents, weather can get fugly really fast so until you get a hand on the waters, plan to dock at slack tides and keep your ear to the weather report. Another is marinas in SE Alaska have limited space so if you even lucky, you might get open mooring which is a cost a premium in most places. Not sure about the Seward area. Beautiful country there. Been there via ferry, not with pleasure craft.

The water is cold. Dang cold here. Don't do anything that could get you in it. Mother Nature is beautiful here but unforgiving

"Live Awesome!"
-Kevin Corosa

1994 Bayliner Classic 28 Command Bridge
Mercruiser 7.4

Electrician - residential, commercial, industrial, marine, inverters, batteries, solar, generators,,,

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 05 Apr 2015 05:12 #43

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

sparkyinak1968 wrote: Sounds like normal weather to me. The biggest in hi can think of. The waters here can be tricky. Tides, currents, weather can get fugly really fast so until you get a hand on the waters, plan to dock at slack tides and keep your ear to the weather report. Another is marinas in SE Alaska have limited space so if you even lucky, you might get open mooring which is a cost a premium in most places. Not sure about the Seward area. Beautiful country there. Been there via ferry, not with pleasure craft.

The water is cold. Dang cold here. Don't do anything that could get you in it. Mother Nature is beautiful here but unforgiving

Seward now has some transient mooring, some with power, phone ahead to the harbor masters office.

Seward harbor phone: 907-224-3138 VHF channel 17

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 05 Apr 2015 07:02 #44

• ksanders
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

boatworkfl wrote:

sparkyinak1968 wrote: Sounds like normal weather to me. The biggest in hi can think of. The waters here can be tricky. Tides, currents, weather can get fugly really fast so until you get a hand on the waters, plan to dock at slack tides and keep your ear to the weather report. Another is marinas in SE Alaska have limited space so if you even lucky, you might get open mooring which is a cost a premium in most places. Not sure about the Seward area. Beautiful country there. Been there via ferry, not with pleasure craft.

Seward now has some transient mooring, some with power, phone ahead to the harbor masters office.

Seward harbor phone: 907-224-3138 VHF channel 17

Yes, the flat side of F Float is all side tie transient except for one dedicated spot at the end

Also z float is all transient except for the end where the USCGC MUSTANG resides when in port.

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 09 May 2015 13:40 #45

• Jollyquick
Greetings,

We've finalized our travel plans and will be in Seward, 27 May - 3 Jun for house hunting. We hope to meet up with KSanders and Will in AK, sometime during that period to compliment them on their respective boats and offer a beverage and/or dinner in gratitude for all their help with our research!

After much research online and talking with brokers and the great folks on BOC, we've pretty much settled on the 4588/4788 or Meridian equivalent if we find a good deal. However the internet can only go so far. We're now entering the touchy-feely phase where I'll need to bring the wife to water to see if she'll drink ;-) So we're putting our money where our mouth is and heading to Seward! We'll also be hitting the various brokers in Anacortes to check out their inventory.

This forum has been a life changer for us. There is no way we can ever return the personal insight and advice we have received here. Perhaps a donation?

Thanks again for all your help,

Trevor and Natalie

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 10 May 2015 13:49 #46

• windriver
  • Thank you received: 12
Jollyquick
when you get to Annacortes be sure to stop by Banana Belt Boats, 360-588-9208, ask for Amy or Bish. they are GREAT people to deal with. I bought my 4788 from them last Dec. they are VERY knowledgeable about the bayliners. Amy's dad John was the one who invented the underhulls a lot of boats have. the yard has a great way to display boats, they are all out of the water with a walkway around the sterns. that makes it real easy to check out the hulls/running gear.
good luck with your search!

1999 4788
" Plum Crazy"
San Juan Islands

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 10 May 2015 13:53 #47

• ksanders
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I'll second the need to stop by Banana Belt Boats.

I's like a boat store rather than a traditional brokerage. There is a big walkway you walk on between boats and you are free to check them all lout at your leisure.

There's probably not a faster way to see different models of boats and decide what features you and most importantly your wife likes.

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 11 May 2015 14:20 #48

• Jollyquick
Greetings,

You would be surprised how many people have formally or informally endorsed the Banana Belt folks. Word of mouth advertising is priceless. We're almost to the point at how how can we NOT visit them.

Excellent advice as always,

JQ

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 13 May 2015 21:42 #49

• curchin
We also heartily endorse Banana Belt Boats ! Amy Ripley Thornton worked with us for well over a year and put up with our quest for the "perfect 4588" which turned into the search for the perfect 4788 and helped us in so many ways throughtout the negotiation. We had a budget and an older refurbished Tolly to sell. We consider her a friend to this day.

Looking for Alaska BOC Folks 13 May 2015 22:10 #50

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
I know when I retire (9 years) the wife is going to retire with me (she is younger than me). She wants to find a big boat (she loves the payout of the 4788 on paper, we have to see one in person, but she REALLY loves the 5788, I suffer)

But she would like to do the Seward to Mexico and possibly to Florida to the Great Lakes in the first few years of retirement. Maybe I will see you guys on the trip.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds