Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 22 Sep 2014 19:05 #76

• PuraVidaTN
  • Thank you received: 16
Timberwolf thanks for the pictures of the Lonseal it looks looks great. Why the additional steps, storage or ease? In the pilot house did you use trim or just cut and lay it? Do you have a detailed picture of the hall way with the curved floor? Is the Lonseal slick when you have on socks?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

PuraVidaTN
2008 490 Pilothouse
Proud member of the Vol Navy

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 23 Sep 2014 07:03 #77

• Timberwolf
  • Timberwolf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46

PuraVidaTN wrote: Timberwolf thanks for the pictures of the Lonseal it looks looks great. Why the additional steps, storage or ease?The 4 original steps were 11" each, hard on my old knees. I now have 6 steps at 7" each, much more comfortable both coming and going. In the pilot house did you use trim or just cut and lay it?The original carpet came out in one piece and was used as a template for the vinyl which is glued in the same as the carpet was. Do you have a detailed picture of the hall way with the curved floor?I will get a pic of the hallway tomorrow when I have daylight. There the vinyl was laid in one piece in the hallway and guest bedroom and just floats. Is the Lonseal slick when you have on socks?No

The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodsea, PuraVidaTN

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
Maple Bay, Vancouver Island
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:
www.baylinerownersclub.org/~bayline1/ind...ics-and-a-video-link
Last Edit: by Timberwolf.

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 23 Sep 2014 16:01 #78

• PuraVidaTN
  • Thank you received: 16
Sorry for all the questions but this is a project that I have been considering. How did you retain the under step access?

PuraVidaTN
2008 490 Pilothouse
Proud member of the Vol Navy

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 23 Sep 2014 16:57 #79

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Each step and riser are glued together with triangle bracing on the back then held in place with 2 screws.
I can take out any individual step. I have 2 pieces of 1 X 8 on each side, one is visible beside the steps, the other is notched to support the steps.
I did this construction twice, the first attempt had one 1 X 8 (notched). I couldn't get the steps out past the trim pieces on the wall. Tore it out and did it a second time with the steps narrowed to fit between 2 new 1 X 8's. It looks better with the full length runner and these 2 pieces help hide the holes in the wall created by the new layout of the stairs.
before without

after with

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Woodsea

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 23 Sep 2014 18:29 #80

• cosmo777
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 118
Did you have (and eliminate) the access door on the starboard wall of the stairs?
I have this door to access the vacuflush pump, so it pretty much eliminates duplicating what you did.

Pat
Paragon
1999 4788

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 23 Sep 2014 23:56 #81

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

cosmo777 wrote: Did you have (and eliminate) the access door on the starboard wall of the stairs?
I have this door to access the vacuflush pump, so it pretty much eliminates duplicating what you did.

I do not have Vacuflush, so no access door, BUT all the stairs can be removed.
The only problem I could foresee is if the access door is in front of the existing stairs.
When I increased the number of stairs, I had to stretch the overall length, ie. the bottom step is now in the hallway.
This can also be seen in the picture with the wall mounted heater, the structural runner (1 X 8) is notched around the heater.

This message has an attachment image.

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

4788 RENOVATIONS ABOUT TO COMMENCE 24 Sep 2014 13:18 #82

• Woodsea
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Salt Lake City
  • Thank you received: 92
Timberwolf,
I really like what you have done. My 47 needs new floor covering. In the pilothouse, how did you finish the Lonseal edges? Is there a bead of white caulk? Is there a depression/groove between the flooring and the white fiberglass?

It looks like you went with the Matt finish vs the gloss. Reasons?

What are the acoustics like after the change to hard flooring? I know you went with 1" thick plywood so that probably helped reduce noise a little when operating.

What comments would you make about the upkeep? Carpet hides a lot which can be good and bad. Wood tends to show what's on it and is easy clean.

Do things tend to slide around on the floor while underway?

Thanks for posting!!

2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
MV Kia Orana
Currently Alameda CA

4788 RENOVATIONS ABOUT TO COMMENCE 29 Mar 2015 23:04 #83

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Woodsea wrote: Timberwolf,
I really like what you have done. My 47 needs new floor covering. In the pilothouse, how did you finish the Lonseal edges? Is there a bead of white caulk? Is there a depression/groove between the flooring and the white fiberglass?Hey Woodsea, I just noticed your post, sorry for the delay. The floor in the pilothouse is built with a depression so the carpet is flush with the perimeter. I laid the vinyl the same way, no extra work done to finish the edge, just a tidy cut and it looks great.

It looks like you went with the Matt finish vs the gloss. Reasons?The gloss is only avail. in the "Teak & Holly" colour, I chose the "Teak & Ebony" and like the way it blends with the cabinetry, (teak doors on a black frame).

What are the acoustics like after the change to hard flooring? I know you went with 1" thick plywood so that probably helped reduce noise a little when operating.The only acoustic I notice is the dog's claws when he gets jumping around, no marks, just noise.

What comments would you make about the upkeep? Carpet hides a lot which can be good and bad. Wood tends to show what's on it and is easy clean.Not wood, vinyl, easy to keep, I vacuum everyday because of 2 pets (hair & kitty litter), and wash about once a month (Swiffer Wet Jet). Floor still looks new!

Do things tend to slide around on the floor while underway?No sliding.

Thanks for posting!!

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 29 Mar 2015 23:23 #84

• Papa Charlie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 165
Haven't seen an update on your project for some time. anything that you can share?

Patrick and Patti
4588 Pilothouse 1991
12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
M/V "Paloma"
MMSI # 338142921

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 30 Mar 2015 20:39 #85

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
After I got to %95 done, I got tired and lazy, :whistle:
Last summer, I moved my horse to a different ranch, been riding a lot more since.

I did upgrade my TV to a 55" 3D.
I just need to clean up the last few bits of trim, nothing earth shattering.
I am working on a pair of pull out drawers inside the old TV cabinet(under the end of the galley counter).

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 31 Mar 2015 01:37 #86

• Papa Charlie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I know the feeling on projects.

What kind of riding do you do? We use to have a registered Morgan horse ranch when we lived in Napa, CA. Loved going riding. Tried English, that was a mistake. I am a western rider. We use to buy green brokes and antique carriages. We would complete their training and refurbish the carriages, selling them as a set (horse/carriage). Miss riding but not the work of show horses.

Patrick and Patti
4588 Pilothouse 1991
12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
M/V "Paloma"
MMSI # 338142921

4788 RENOVATIONS HAVE COMMENCED 31 Mar 2015 02:13 #87

• masonj
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 33
Great job on the flooring. Hesitate to show my wife. She is pressing me to replace carpet with teak. This looks like a better approach.

1990 4588

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 31 Mar 2015 04:06 #88

• itsabowtime2
  • Thank you received: 355
Fantastic mods.

Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
1998 3055 Ciera
(yes, a 1998)
Previous boat: 1993 3055
Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
Sea Doo XP
Sea Doo GTI SE
Life is short. Boats are cool.
The family that plays together stays together.
Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 31 Mar 2015 23:49 #89

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Papa Charlie wrote: What kind of riding do you do? We use to have a registered Morgan horse ranch when we lived in Napa, CA. Loved going riding. Tried English, that was a mistake. I am a western rider. We use to buy green brokes and antique carriages. We would complete their training and refurbish the carriages, selling them as a set (horse/carriage). Miss riding but not the work of show horses.

I have a Tennessee Walker and we ride the trails here on Vancouver Island.

This message has an attachment image.

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

4788 RENOVATIONS HAVE COMMENCED 31 Mar 2015 23:51 #90

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

masonj wrote: Great job on the flooring. Hesitate to show my wife. She is pressing me to replace carpet with teak. This looks like a better approach.

The best part of replacing the floors was getting rid of 17 years of dirt.
The vinyl is so easy to keep clean, I have a battery powered Dyson vacuum that get used everyday (cat and dog on board).

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

4788 RENOVATIONS HAVE COMMENCED 03 Apr 2015 12:47 #91

• Will in AK
  • Thank you received: 2
What did you use to trim the edges around the hatches? Do you have a close up photo? Very nice job. Will

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 03 Apr 2015 13:50 #92

• Papa Charlie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Timberwolf wrote:

Papa Charlie wrote: I have a Tennessee Walker and we ride the trails here on Vancouver Island.

Nice looking Walker. Always loved their looks. Hated the way they got shown with that club foot in the front. Great riding horses. We miss having the horses, not show horses, that was way too much work. But I miss coming home and going for a ride through the vineyards in Napa. We were only about a mile from Skyline park and miles and miles of riding trails.

If I did it again, I would board. Almost impossible to take a trip when you have large animals that have to be tended to on a daily basis. Not like having the neighbor take of the dog or cat.

Thanks for sharing.

Patrick and Patti
4588 Pilothouse 1991
12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
M/V "Paloma"
MMSI # 338142921

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 05 Apr 2015 05:56 #93

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Will in AK wrote: What did you use to trim the edges around the hatches? Do you have a close up photo? Very nice job. Will

I bought simple "L" angle trim in a gold colour. The stores were showing stuff they would use in your house. I was thinking about them being lifted in and out. The trim I used on the stairs I left gold, it doesn't look out of place and I did that purposefully because it make the stairs easier to see, day or night.
THE 6 STAIRS

HATCH TRIM

Attachment TRIM006.jpg not found

BLACK & GOLD

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:
Last Edit: by Timberwolf.
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds