Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK

4788 RENOVATIONS HAVE COMMENCED - updated with NEW pics - ADDED A VIDEO LINK 20 Mar 2014 03:06 #51

• Coastrider
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 124
It looks like you are doing a great job with your mods.

We are very close to you in Brentwood Bay this year.

We have done the centre hatch mod in the salon and it is great and personally don't have any issue with excess flex or anything on our salon hatches.

We spent about 11 weeks on our boat last summer and with one stretch of 18 nights in a row on the hook it was great having the garbage compactor. Personally even when our boys are on board we have no interest in a dishwasher. I would only run it when plugged in or genny running and don't need the dishwasher noise anyway haha.

All our house bank, 8 golf carts, are in the starboard lazarette and our diesel heaters, 2 Espars, are outboard of the port engine. The port lazarette was completely empty so we use that now for our traps and the towline for our tender.

I was planning on a water maker this spring but that ended up being a new engine for our tender and new canvas so maybe next year.

We also want to put in a flat screen lift mod on the port side and want to design it in the most narrow format as we still want to maintain our two chairs on that side.

That's enough for now haha. Well, we are heading back over to the boat tomorrow, Thursday, so plan on spending the weekend out there and maybe even some fishing close by.

See you on the water.

Cheers,

Mark
Our Song
1997 4788

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4788 RENOVATIONS HAVE COMMENCED - updated with NEW pics - ADDED A VIDEO LINK 20 Mar 2014 05:37 #52

• Timberwolf
  • Timberwolf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46

Coastrider wrote: It looks like you are doing a great job with your mods. Thanks

We also want to put in a flat screen lift mod on the port side and want to design it in the most narrow format as we still want to maintain our two chairs on that side. You will need to add a bit of space even with a small TV. You only have 5 3/4" depth and 27" of height to work with in the stock cabinet. I have a 46" on the second smallest lift mechanism and I needed 7" of depth and 32" of height. I cut a hole in the bottom of the cabinet to lower the lift, thus the lid is only 1 1/2" higher. Also you have to consider the angle of the window above the cabinet, I have the top mount on the lift spaced out from the wall so the TV does not touch the window when fully raised. Give me a call when you are into this project as I can help you avoid redo(s).
Mark
Our Song
1997 4788

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
Maple Bay, Vancouver Island
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:
www.baylinerownersclub.org/~bayline1/ind...ics-and-a-video-link
Last Edit: by Timberwolf.

4788 RENOVATIONS HAVE COMMENCED - updated with NEW pics - ADDED A VIDEO LINK 20 Mar 2014 06:31 #53

• Coastrider
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 124
Thanks for that info. So it doesn't sound like you had to add too much depth to the port side cabinets and 7" depth should absolutely fit what I want so that our chairs still fit there so that is great to know. We like having the two chairs there as it has not been uncommon for us to have 8 people around the dining table.

I had not thought about added height though but you have installed a larger tv than I was thinking of installing. I was thinking closer to 40" but that would only make a difference of about 3" in height from a 46" LCD so might just go bigger haha.

I do quite enjoy hearing the different ideas people have for personalizing these boats.

One thing else we did this year was to move our flybridge seating and it is a huge difference . Wish we did that years ago.

Thanks again for the tv info.

Cheers,

Mark

4788 RENOVATIONS ABOUT TO COMMENCE 20 Mar 2014 16:41 #54

• completelymobile
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17

mmichellich wrote: We just used aluminum square tubing (1X1/2 inch) in the middle of each hatch to make them sturdy for heavy me. You can get easy engine access by adding a center hatch, easy to do. We used Granite Transformations to redo all counter tops and tables last winter.

Would love to see pictures of your counter tops as we are going to upgrade ours soon.

Thanks!

1994 4788

4788 RENOVATIONS ABOUT TO COMMENCE 20 Mar 2014 20:20 #55

• mmichellich
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 380

completelymobile wrote:

mmichellich wrote: We just used aluminum square tubing (1X1/2 inch) in the middle of each hatch to make them sturdy for heavy me. You can get easy engine access by adding a center hatch, easy to do. We used Granite Transformations to redo all counter tops and tables last winter.

Would love to see pictures of your counter tops as we are going to upgrade ours soon.

Thanks!

Our boat is 1500 miles away right now so photos must wait a while. You can check out Granite Transormations at their show room. The store we used is at the intersection of I405 and I5. There is a hotel, kids fun center and tiny shopping area in NE corner of that intersection. The shop is closest to Interurban Ave, as I recall. This is the Southern intersection of I405 and I5 by Southcenter shopping mall.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

4788 RENOVATIONS ABOUT TO COMMENCE 29 Apr 2014 01:23 #56

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Its not quite done, I have to trim the hatches yet, but here are a few pics of my new floor.
The pilot house floor looks great, even the steps where the pattern lines up.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

4788 RENOVATIONS - updated with NEWER NEW pics - ADDED A VIDEO LINK 29 Apr 2014 03:32 #57

• aspen1880
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 119
that is mighty nice

Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

4788 RENOVATIONS ABOUT TO COMMENCE 30 Apr 2014 22:37 #58

• HarleyDawg
  • Thank you received: 5
In the salon, I suspect the Lonseal flooring would eventually conform to every little imperfection in the subfloor? What did you do to smooth the subflooring so this would not happen? Or am I wrong with this assumption?

M/V ANTINOUS

1992 3888 / Hino 210's (W04C-TI)
follow me on twitter @MVAntinous

4788 RENOVATIONS ABOUT TO COMMENCE 01 May 2014 00:15 #59

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

HarleyDawg wrote: In the salon, I suspect the Lonseal flooring would eventually conform to every little imperfection in the subfloor? What did you do to smooth the subflooring so this would not happen? Or am I wrong with this assumption?

The floor is all new 1" plywood. I had a pro lay the floor, he commented on how smooth the floor was and he did very little compound, just a skim coat over the seams. The only problem area was/is the bare glass in the passageway down below. There are humps and dips that can not be filled easily. His suggestion was to lay some two way tape down the length of the hall where the flat part curls up to the wall and let the rest float. Currently its floating, no tape or glue and except for the humps. it looks great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: HarleyDawg

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

4788 RENOVATIONS ABOUT TO COMMENCE 13 May 2014 04:53 #60

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Got most of the hatches trimmed, still a bit to do but you get the idea.

New vinyl in the galley, sorry its not a better pic, looks like quartz tile.

AND NEW GALLEY COUNTERS TOO!

AND A NEW UNDER MOUNT SINK!

AND A NEW COOK TOP!

I am keeping the original oven, I have already cut it down in height so it fits under the new counter (in its original hole).

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

4788 RENOVATIONS ABOUT TO COMMENCE 13 May 2014 05:05 #61

• completelymobile
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Love how you did your way .... Looks awesome!

1994 4788

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 22 May 2014 11:19 #62

• kwjennings
  • Thank you received: 4
What was the name of the Lonseal product?

I cannot find anything that looks like this flooring on their website and there seem to be hundreds of choices to select from

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 22 May 2014 15:59 #63

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

kwjennings wrote: What was the name of the Lonseal product?

I cannot find anything that looks like this flooring on their website and there seem to be hundreds of choices to select from

"Lonseal Lonwood" Here is their website for 'Marine' www.lonsealspecialty.com/show_product/LONWOOD%20MARINE
I bought through "Defender" search.defender.com/?expression=lonseal%...oring&s=1&Trigger=ac

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

4788 RENOVATIONS ABOUT TO COMMENCE 22 May 2014 16:17 #64

• weiss
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 37
HMM... I think you just solved a problem for us. We want to add a glass top cook to like yours to our boat but don't want to loose the oven. Up until now could not find a stand alone wall mount oven small enough. Using the existing one is brilliant. How did you "cut it down". { pictures please}

Thanks very much
Gary

Afterglow
Sidney BC
ArbutusCoastYachts.com

4788 RENOVATIONS ABOUT TO COMMENCE 22 May 2014 20:47 #65

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

weiss wrote: Using the existing one is brilliant. How did you "cut it down". { pictures please}
Thanks very much, Gary

I have always taken the approach "Just because you don't know how..."
It was fairly easy to remove the whole thing, once out of the boat, I removed the burners so I could see.
Then I used a reciprocating saw with a metal blade and went to town on it.
I cut about 3 inches of sheet metal off the two sides and the back. I had to cut deep enough to clear the drop in cooktop.
You will need to keep most of the square channel on the front, this will sit against the face of the cabinet.
There is lots of room to allow for this. Here you can see the side and the front channel cut down, and an oops, (I was de-burring and cut the channel).

The weight of the oven will rest on the bottom, the cabinet is built with a shelf under to support it.
I removed all the wiring related to the burners, including the switchs, I need to find a nice way to cover the holes in the control panel.
On the wall behind, I changed the power supply over to a normal receptacle.
Then I put replacements ends (plug ins?) on the wiring for the oven and the cooktop.
This made it much easier to install the two pieces, you just have to be aware that the supply is still 15 amps, it will not handle both at the same time.
I have used both the cooktop and the oven, not at the same time of course, but it all works.

One other detail to clean up. The granite is thicker by almost 1/2 " so I have to adjust the size of the mirror doors behind.

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

4788 RENOVATIONS ABOUT TO COMMENCE 23 May 2014 13:51 #66

• weiss
  • Away
Thanks very much for the pics and details!

cheers, Gary

Afterglow
Sidney BC
ArbutusCoastYachts.com

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 23 May 2014 15:11 #67

• Papa Charlie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 165
Very impressed with the work and the design. Thoroughly enjoying watching the transformation. My complements.

I really love the flooring in the PH. Did you have to do anything special to floor up there? We have carpet from a previous owner and while it is nice for a non slip and sound deadening factor it is less than appealing over the traditional teak and holly flooring.

For you stove you could use Metal Plugs . They are available in all sorts of finishes, a nice chrome one would look very nice or maybe a brushed finish SS. This picture is representative of the type but there are a wide variety of finishes and styles available.

This image is hidden for guests.

Patrick and Patti
4588 Pilothouse 1991
12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
M/V "Paloma"
MMSI # 338142921
Last Edit: by Papa Charlie.

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 23 May 2014 15:22 #68

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Papa Charlie wrote: Very impressed with the work and the design. Thoroughly enjoying watching the transformation. My complements.Thank You

I really love the flooring in the PH. Did you have to do anything special to floor up there? We have carpet from a previous owner and while it is nice for a non slip and sound deadening factor it is less than appealing over the traditional teak and holly flooring.
The original carpet pulled up very easily and was used as a template for the vinyl. The fiberglass under the carpet was easy to clean also, just a bit of glue which came off with a sharp edge scraper.

For you stove you could use Metal Plugs . They are available in all sorts of finishes, a nice chrome one would look very nice or maybe a brushed finish SS. This picture is representative of the type but there are a wide variety of finishes and styles available.
I think you are implying I could use these plugs on the control panel face of the oven. I don't think they will fit because the panel has a glass face.

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

4788 RENOVATIONS ABOUT TO COMMENCE 23 May 2014 15:26 #69

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

weiss wrote: Thanks very much for the pics and details!

cheers, Gary

If I can be of any further assistance, let me know, I'm not far from Sidney.

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 23 May 2014 16:10 #70

• Papa Charlie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 165

Timberwolf wrote:

Papa Charlie wrote: For you stove you could use Metal Plugs . They are available in all sorts of finishes, a nice chrome one would look very nice or maybe a brushed finish SS. This picture is representative of the type but there are a wide variety of finishes and styles available.
I think you are implying I could use these plugs on the control panel face of the oven. I don't think they will fit because the panel has a glass face.[/b

They also make them in a variety of designs. Here is one style for Thicker Materials or a Screw Back type that can fit very thick pieces.

Patrick and Patti
4588 Pilothouse 1991
12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
M/V "Paloma"
MMSI # 338142921

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 19 Sep 2014 06:08 #71

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I can't believe its been 10 months since I started these renos. I took a bit of a break in May when Mother flew out for a visit, then I had my left hand in a cast for a few weeks, but I'm still at it doing the final few pieces of trim. I'll have to do a virtual tour video when I get the trim finished. At least that will give me a reason to thoroughly clean the boat!

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 19 Sep 2014 16:37 #72

• weiss
  • Away
can't wait to see the finished project! We are planning an overnight at the Maple Bay Yacht Club soon, maybe hoist a beer at the Pub and have a look at your boat?

Will let you know when we have a firm date

Cheers, Gary
4788 " Afterglow"

Afterglow
Sidney BC
ArbutusCoastYachts.com

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 19 Sep 2014 19:12 #73

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

weiss wrote: can't wait to see the finished project! We are planning an overnight at the Maple Bay Yacht Club soon, maybe hoist a beer at the Pub and have a look at your boat?
Will let you know when we have a firm date, Cheers, Gary
4788 " Afterglow"

She is %99 now, just a little trim on the stair risers.
I'll be here, one way or tuther, David

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 20 Sep 2014 18:32 #74

• PuraVidaTN
  • Thank you received: 16
Timberwolf I like the Lonseal, it looks great! I wondered if you could or would post a detailed picture of how you trimmed it, especially around your hatches after your next trip to the boat? I moved my inverter batteries (eight 6V ) to the access area under the stairs, in front of the engine room bulkhead, near the water heater and agree that it helped my weight distribution.

PuraVidaTN
2008 490 Pilothouse
Proud member of the Vol Navy

4788 RENOVATIONS - MORE PROGRESS with NEWER NEW pics and a VIDEO LINK 20 Sep 2014 19:48 #75

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

PuraVidaTN wrote: Timberwolf I like the Lonseal, it looks great! I wondered if you could or would post a detailed picture of how you trimmed it, especially around your hatches after your next trip to the boat?

My next trip? Ah, actually, I live on my boat. That is a big part of why I undertook such extensive renos. I needed more storage and I wanted to be comfortable, hence bigger cabinets, real furniture and a fresh look for the galley, AND 6 steps where there used to be only 4!
For trim, the shops were showing stuff they would use in your house. I needed something that would work on the hatches, thinking about them being lifted in and out. I could not find any trim that was black or at least a dark colour so I bought some gold coloured trim and painted it. The trim I used on the stairs I left gold, it doesn't look out of place and I did that purposefully because it make the stairs easier to see, day or night.
THE 6 STAIRS

HATCH TRIM

Attachment TRIM006.jpg not found

BLACK & GOLD

The following user(s) said Thank You: PuraVidaTN

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds