Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3988 Cummins vs Hino

3988 Cummins vs Hino 28 May 2013 00:57 #1

• seashift
  • seashift's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello fellas,

I am in the market for a 3988. Most of the boats i have looked at have the Cummins 6BTA which by all accounts are a solid motor. I am wondering if there is a big difference in the age , eg 1996 or 2002 and the horsepower 250 , 270 , 330. What are the differences in cruising speed ,fuel burn etc ? Also I am going to look at a '39 with 250 Hinos , wondering if it is a good motor for that boat. I currently have a 3288 with the Hinos and I love the motor. Any thoughts and experiences with set up would be appreciated.

Regards , SeaShift.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3988 Cummins vs Hino 28 May 2013 02:51 #2

• gfrodel
love my 95 3988 with 250 Hinos. you are going to get into a ford vs chevy debate here real soon!! Strong supporters in both camps. Positives and Negatives to both motors. Hino's are old school bullet proof diesels with a weak manicooler. parts are available but not like the cummins. parts may be a little expensive also. many more people will chime in I am sure. Less HP = less speed and less fuel!

3988 Cummins vs Hino 28 May 2013 16:23 #3

• wrasse
Easy choice. Cummins.

Parts and service is a cinch. Majority of the parts for it are available at NAPA, if not widely available on the web or at the cummins dealer. Getting service is a easy as there are lots of mechanics who are familiar with 6BT cummins.
Easier when you need to sell it.

I would only consider Hino if the price is signficantly less.

Good luck

3988 Cummins vs Hino 28 May 2013 17:46 #4

• Uncle Bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 132
1996 and newer have Cummins. Most Cummins are 270 or 330 hp and a few at 370hp. All from same block. I have 270 hp and it is on the light side for power.

1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

3988 Cummins vs Hino 28 May 2013 17:58 #5

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252
Both are excellent engines, and I definitely would never avoid a Hino boat if it was otherwise fine. But given 2 identical boats, one with Hinos and one with Cummins, I'd go with the Cummins. Many potential buyers are unaware of how good the Hinos are, and the Cummins 6 series is arguably the best high speed marine diesel engine ever built, with great service and parts availability, and solid future-buyer confidence.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

3988 Cummins vs Hino 29 May 2013 01:22 #6

• NeilW
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Alameda, CA
  • Thank you received: 277
I intentionally choose the 39 with the 250 Hino's, hands down a better engine IMHO. I keep hearing about how expensive the manicoolers are for the Hino, but if you just keep the coolant changed and a proper PH, they will last for many years.

Let me mention, I own a boatyard for the past six years and I have not once had to replace or do a major repair on a Hino, and trust me when I say we work on LOTS of Bayliners with Hino and Cummins engines.

the Cummins 330 is a nightmare when it come to the after coolers. They are salt water cooled and we have had to either clean the salt deposits after they overheat, or replace them due to corrosion, and they ain't cheap! I think I remember they cost in excess of $2K each.

The Cummins is faster than the Hino, I only get 21-22 knots full speed, but this past Oct I went from Half Moon Bay to the delta and in 10 hours averaging 14-15 knots, my GPH was 10.1, I know the Cummins burns much more fuel

OK, that's my opinion, I know many will not agree with my assessment, but I know many Hino owner WILL agree 100%;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Masterman

www.boatyardgm.com
www.pacificyachtimports.net
2002 Carver Voyager 57
"Making Waves"
3988 250 Hinos
"The Dark Side"
Alameda, California

3988 Cummins vs Hino 29 May 2013 03:01 #7

• TedB_BC
  • Thank you received: 1
The problem is, in North America the Hino isn't well known. They are a division of Toyota. There are millions of Hino trucks running around the world, especially in the Far East. The Hinos in the boats are just a marinized version. Hinos in mine and I love them. But the again, I love the 5.9
Cummins in my Dodge truck. Either way, you are going to be happy

There are old skippers and bold skippers, but no old bold skippers!
Be safe.

3988 Cummins vs Hino 29 May 2013 04:42 #8

• wrasse

NeilW;782514 wrote: the Cummins 330 is a nightmare when it come to the after coolers. They are salt water cooled and we have had to either clean the salt deposits after they overheat, or replace them due to corrosion, and they ain't cheap! I think I remember they cost in excess of $2K each.

I had cummins 6bta 370 and now 6cta 450. To say that the aftercoolers on them are a nightmare is quite an exaggeration. I bought both boats well used with 10+ years on them. The coolers were never serviced, there are some nuances in getting the cores out and having it cleaned and resealed. I serviced them myself without much difficulty.

They just need maintenance like most other things.
Every 3 years should be good for most end users. I dealt with ones that didn't see service for well over 7 years and serviced it fine without spending lot of $.
It's uncommon that the entire unit will need replacement if the service/radiator person knows what they are doing. If it's really bad, then it's just the cores that are needed. All parts are easy to find. This is a cinch compared to manicooler ordeal if that ever comes up.
Tony Athens from Seaboard can run you thorough the process.

3988 Cummins vs Hino 30 May 2013 16:58 #9

• seashift
  • seashift's Avatar Topic Author
Thank you for the feedback...It would seem you can't go wrong with either set up. Maybe the deciding factor would be speed/ fuel burn comparison.Given the choice i would like to have power in reserve and not have to run the Hinos harder. I guess it will come down to price and condition of the boat.

Regards , SeaShift.

3988 Cummins vs Hino 30 May 2013 19:10 #10

• NeilW
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Alameda, CA

wrasse;782570 wrote: I had cummins 6bta 370 and now 6cta 450. To say that the aftercoolers on them are a nightmare is quite an exaggeration. I bought both boats well used with 10+ years on them. The coolers were never serviced, there are some nuances in getting the cores out and having it cleaned and resealed. I serviced them myself without much difficulty.They just need maintenance like most other things.Every 3 years should be good for most end users. I dealt with ones that didn't see service for well over 7 years and serviced it fine without spending lot of $.It's uncommon that the entire unit will need replacement if the service/radiator person knows what they are doing. If it's really bad, then it's just the cores that are needed. All parts are easy to find. This is a cinch compared to manicooler ordeal if that ever comes up.Tony Athens from Seaboard can run you thorough the process.

Here is one we took off a 330 a couple of months ago, it was an expensive replacement
[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/783007=37868-cummins aftercooler.jpg

www.boatyardgm.com
2002 Carver Voyager 57
"Making Waves"
3988 250 Hinos
"The Dark Side"
Alameda, California

3988 Cummins vs Hino 31 May 2013 01:42 #11

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

wrasse;782570 wrote: I had cummins 6bta 370 and now 6cta 450. To say that the aftercoolers on them are a nightmare is quite an exaggeration. I bought both boats well used with 10+ years on them. The coolers were never serviced, there are some nuances in getting the cores out and having it cleaned and resealed. I serviced them myself without much difficulty.

They just need maintenance like most other things.
Every 3 years should be good for most end users. I dealt with ones that didn't see service for well over 7 years and serviced it fine without spending lot of $.
It's uncommon that the entire unit will need replacement if the service/radiator person knows what they are doing. If it's really bad, then it's just the cores that are needed. All parts are easy to find. This is a cinch compared to manicooler ordeal if that ever comes up.
Tony Athens from Seaboard can run you thorough the process.

+1 - Don't avoid a 6B or C because of aftercooler service. If you do it regularly (in salt water), it is easy. And if you're in freshwater, aftercooler service is not needed, ever.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

3988 Cummins vs Hino 31 May 2013 01:46 #12

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

seashift;782971 wrote: Thank you for the feedback...It would seem you can't go wrong with either set up. Maybe the deciding factor would be speed/ fuel burn comparison.Given the choice i would like to have power in reserve and not have to run the Hinos harder. I guess it will come down to price and condition of the boat.

Regards , SeaShift.

True - you can't go wrong with either marque. But I think the deciding factor should be the degree of care the engines have received and ensuring they haven't been overloaded for any extended period. Don't expect to get better fuel economy from the Hinos if you try to coax Cummins-like speed from them.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

- Ferris Bueller

3988 Cummins vs Hino 11 Jan 2017 00:04 #13

• fishexit
What about installing a fresh water flush connection on sea water filters?

3988 Cummins vs Hino 14 Jan 2017 01:15 #14

• kev_rm
  • 1987 3870 Hino 175's
  • Thank you received: 31
Kiichiro Toyoda and Clessie Lyle Cummins are rolling in their grave for having their products being compared to the Ford vs. Chevy debate. No contest Cummins and Toyota win.

3988 Cummins vs Hino 14 Jan 2017 02:01 #15

• talman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Look for us in the San Juans
  • Thank you received: 120
Neil, I'm interested in what caused the aftercooler to split. You aren't in a freeze zone. :)

Tally and Vicki
"Wickus" Meridian 341
MMSI 338014939

3988 Cummins vs Hino 16 Jan 2017 20:11 #16

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 595
This is just my thoughts..
I see way too many posts of problems with Cummins in marine use. And personally I know of one that died a very young death.
I like Cummins engines. I have many in pickups and motorhomes.
But again my thoughts but I think they ask too much from the 5.9 block in marine use.
You never see that block putting out that much horsepower in a motorhome. And a motorhome doesn't work as hard as a boat engine. A motorhome sporting that kind of horsepower, actually less HP in a motorhome will have the 8.3 block. And you almost never hear of a problem with them.
On the other hand you almost never hear of a Hino having these kind of problems in marine use.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner
Last Edit: by dmcb.

3988 Cummins vs Hino 16 Jan 2017 21:39 #17

• NeilW
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Alameda, CA

talman wrote: Neil, I'm interested in what caused the aftercooler to split. You aren't in a freeze zone. :)

It was caused by S.S. fasteners into the steel and aluminum casing. Just way too many dissimilar metals.

www.boatyardgm.com
2002 Carver Voyager 57
"Making Waves"
3988 250 Hinos
"The Dark Side"
Alameda, California

3988 Cummins vs Hino 16 Jan 2017 21:41 #18

• NeilW
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Alameda, CA

dmcb wrote: This is just my thoughts..
I see way too many posts of problems with Cummins in marine use. And personally I know of one that died a very young death.
I like Cummins engines. I have many in pickups and motorhomes.
But again my thoughts but I think they ask too much from the 5.9 block in marine use.
You never see that block putting out that much horsepower in a motorhome. And a motorhome doesn't work as hard as a boat engine. A motorhome sporting that kind of horsepower, actually less HP in a motorhome will have the 8.3 block. And you almost never hear of a problem with them.
On the other hand you almost never hear of a Hino having these kind of problems in marine use.
Doug

Agree 100%. I now have Cummins QSM11' 535hp in my Carver, but they have the appropriate HP for that size block IMHO.

www.boatyardgm.com
2002 Carver Voyager 57
"Making Waves"
3988 250 Hinos
"The Dark Side"
Alameda, California

3988 Cummins vs Hino 18 Jan 2017 01:19 #19

• RAVEN SONG
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 12
We just bought a great 1996 3988 with twin Hino's. We previously had a 1993 3288 with twin 150 Hino's and loved the boat and the engines. I debated heavily about the choice between the motors and all that you read in the previous responses is more or less true. I believe the Cummins will have a better resale but you will pay more for it so in the end it is a wash. Both motors are great provided they are maintained, neither appears to have a fatal flaw otherwise you would hear about it by now. In the end buy a boat that you can afford to maintain and that has been reasonably taken care of. Pay particular attention to the coolant changes and watch for your temps to remain steady under load. The Hino version is not a speed demon, if you want a fast boat look for a lot larger engine. You are not going to notice any significant annual savings between the large engine and the small one. I too was concerned about the fuel burn but truly have not noticed any appreciable fuel burn on our summer cruises, it has a lot more to do with HOW you run your boat than the engine you are turning. Good Luck! :)

3988 Cummins vs Hino 30 Jul 2017 20:17 #20

• Budds Outlet
Are the manicoolers more available now for the Hino engines? Specifically for the 250 hp Hinos. How does the parts availability compare between the Cummins and the Hino?

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds