Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 21 Jun 2012 01:50 #1

• Aimhii
  • Aimhii's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all:

Just bought our boat last year and for the love of god cannot figure out how to turn the salon table to a bed to sleep 2???

We figure the post must come off, but we have been pulling and tugging and cannot separate the 2. The only option I have left is to cut a piece of wood to fit and attach home made supports underneath....

Anyone who can help or send pics would be appreciated...pics probably more helpful at this point.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 21 Jun 2012 02:32 #2

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 115
My boat came with a custom piece of wood....sorry I don't have better advice. There must be a way ! Assemble oh mighty forum.

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 21 Jun 2012 02:36 #3

• RinnyBeth
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6
our table has a hidden cubby behind the back seat cushion, we have several pieces hidden there, and the table being bulky has nothing to do with the bed, so boats have hidden places.. go on a search and recuse mission to find the hidden areas and peices.. you will be surprised like us to find the cubbies we never knew when we bought ours..

and if that fails.. have one of your kids do it.. they seem to know it all and fix it all.. lol:worth ours do..

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 21 Jun 2012 02:41 #4

• p91473
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
If it is original the table sits on 2 metal posts. The table should lift off. It can be tough to get the table off. You may need 2 people, one on each end to rock back and forth until the table comes off. Then there is a plywood piece that pulls out to fill the void left by the table. There should be an extra cushion that completes the bed. I am betting yours has been customized. A pic would help.

1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
2014 Sea Fox 22 Center Console
2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport

Vero Beach, Fl.

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 21 Jun 2012 04:01 #5

• Aimhii
OK we have the original table with 2 posts....

The only other piece slides out - but only to the stops of the small wood edgs on the seat sides....

We can't get the posts off from under neath the table....I know we are close, but just can't figure it out...anyone have a step by step pic or sources to look at?

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 21 Jun 2012 04:07 #6

• p91473
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 47
The post come off of the table and base. Maybe shot some wd-40 to lossen it up. It will take a lot of rocking it back and forth, but it will come out. The wood that pulls out only comes out perhaps 36 inches total...

1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
2014 Sea Fox 22 Center Console
2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport

Vero Beach, Fl.

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 21 Jun 2012 05:10 #7

• Pugetsoundog
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20
The table comes off the posts by rocking the table port to starboard while two people, at opposite ends of the table are all the time pulling, pulling, pulling up on the table while you rock. The post comes out of the table and floor the same way, by rocking while pulling. Once the table is off and the posts disconnected from it, it stores on its long edge underneath the starboard rear cabin window, unless you have a cabinet there. There are normally some teac rails on the floor that the edge of the table fits in. Once that is stored, pull out the the port back cushion and hokey (technical term) back support board. The port seat cushion and the board underneath it, now pulls out while lifting it up to clear a block, then it slides out about 15". The port back cushion now lays next to the seat cushion to make the bunk.:D

Ken
Pugetsoundog
The following user(s) said Thank You: CaptUgly

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 21 Jun 2012 10:11 #8

• RinnyBeth
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Pugetsoundog;697263 wrote: The table comes off the posts by rocking the table port to starboard while two people, at opposite ends of the table are all the time pulling, pulling, pulling up on the table while you rock. The post comes out of the table and floor the same way, by rocking while pulling. Once the table is off and the posts disconnected from it, it stores on its long edge underneath the starboard rear cabin window, unless you have a cabinet there. There are normally some teac rails on the floor that the edge of the table fits in. Once that is stored, pull out the the port back cushion and hokey (technical term) back support board. The port seat cushion and the board underneath it, now pulls out while lifting it up to clear a block, then it slides out about 15". The port back cushion now lays next to the seat cushion to make the bunk.:D

Ken
Pugetsoundog

I need a nap just reading this... hasta be an easier way for it.. now I know we arent going to put our table down for a bed.. the guests can pitch a tent on the beach... faster

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 21 Jun 2012 14:19 #9

• toukow
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

RinnyBeth;697280 wrote: I need a nap just reading this... hasta be an easier way for it.. now I know we arent going to put our table down for a bed.. the guests can pitch a tent on the beach... faster

Hmmm....seemed like a quite accurate description of the process to me, especially when describing it to someone apparently new to the boat. Perhaps you prefer the 'Just do it' instruction methodology? It takes what it takes.

Dean
'True Story'
1987 3218 w/135's
Des Moines, WA

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 21 Jun 2012 14:31 #10

• ronbo404
  • Thank you received: 9
I will add that sleeping two on it is a stretch, maybe 1 1/2!!!

Ron

1989 3218
1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 21 Jun 2012 17:27 #11

• cosmo777
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 118
On my 3288, the posts would screw out. They had a threaded post on the bottom.

Pat
Paragon
1999 4788

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 21 Jun 2012 17:34 #12

• RinnyBeth
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

ronbo404;697310 wrote: I will add that sleeping two on it is a stretch, maybe 1 1/2!!!

Ron

stick the kids on it, they can fall asleep anywhere.. give the beds to the adults with achy bones

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 21 Jun 2012 17:47 #13

• Scott
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16

RinnyBeth;697355 wrote: stick the kids on it, they can fall asleep anywhere.. give the beds to the adults with achy bones

+1! We just blow up an air mattress & let the kids sleep on that on the salon floor. Just have to avoid stepping on them in the morning! :D

Scott
Simply Hawaiian
1986 3870
MMSI: 338119843

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 21 Jun 2012 20:23 #14

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 115

Pugetsoundog;697263 wrote: The table comes off the posts by rocking the table port to starboard while two people, at opposite ends of the table are all the time pulling, pulling, pulling up on the table while you rock. The post comes out of the table and floor the same way, by rocking while pulling. Once the table is off and the posts disconnected from it, it stores on its long edge underneath the starboard rear cabin window, unless you have a cabinet there. There are normally some teac rails on the floor that the edge of the table fits in. Once that is stored, pull out the the port back cushion and hokey (technical term) back support board. The port seat cushion and the board underneath it, now pulls out while lifting it up to clear a block, then it slides out about 15". The port back cushion now lays next to the seat cushion to make the bunk.:D

Ken
Pugetsoundog

Good information thank you. For example, I had no idea that the monster table had a happy storage area by the back door.

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 21 Jun 2012 23:47 #15

• TedB_BC
  • Thank you received: 1
You forgot the rule.

Cocktails for 6

Dinner for 4

Sleeps 2

There are old skippers and bold skippers, but no old bold skippers!
Be safe.

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 25 Jun 2012 02:18 #16

• Pugetsoundog
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Well, did ja win???

Pugetsoundog (woof)

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 25 Jun 2012 19:05 #17

• RAVEN SONG
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 12

Aimhii;697208 wrote: Hi all:

Just bought our boat last year and for the love of god cannot figure out how to turn the salon table to a bed to sleep 2???

We figure the post must come off, but we have been pulling and tugging and cannot separate the 2. The only option I have left is to cut a piece of wood to fit and attach home made supports underneath....

Anyone who can help or send pics would be appreciated...pics probably more helpful at this point.

Thanks

The posts slide out of the table, be careful because it is possible to split the wood that the posts slide into. The post's bottom SCREW into the floor, so they must be unsrewed. If after trying they don't seem to be letting go, have a buddy lay down in the aft berth with a large flat headed screw driver and hold the bolt that holds the "socket" for the table leg. You will easily see where the base protrudes below. Once free gently lift the salon seat base and pull towards you until it is full extended and to rests in the notch of the teak trim. be careful when pulling out so that you don't scratch the teak as you are sliding it out. There is a seperate filler cushion that fills in the space. It is a comfortable bed for 1 and uncomfortable bed for 2 :)

Trev

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 25 Jun 2012 23:05 #18

• Gsherwood
  • Thank you received: 14
I have a 1987 Bayliner 3270 as well. We should get together and compare notes. On mine the posts are a press fit top and bottom. I wish they were so tight! My table is jiggly--need to shim the poles I guess. Took us a while to figure it out too.

Contact me on private email if you want and we can compare notes. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

- Glen

Glen Sherwood
1987 3270
Coupeville, WA

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 26 Jun 2012 00:14 #19

• Aimhii
PugetSound:

thanks for that description...we got about 1/2 way before we read your post. We will try it again next weekend and see how we make out. Many thanks for your posts!

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 26 Jun 2012 15:27 #20

• wammer
  • Thank you received: 1
We have a 1986 3270 and it's missing all the pieces to the salon bed.
Does anyone have pictures of the bed?
What the pieces look like?
How one might be able to make their own?

Wade & Eileen
Komfort Friday
1986 3270[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 02 Aug 2017 12:09 #21

• dshawk
After removing table, the two posts unscrew from floor. Hopefully this helps. Dshawk

Shaw

Salon Table to Bed conversion 3288 06 Aug 2017 00:50 #22

• johnrupp
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Mechanicsburg, PA
After removing the table and two posts grab the front of the fore aft seat bench. Lift up slightly and pull out towards center of boat. Place seat back cushions on bed. Go to bed.

John Rupp
1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
5.8 OMC Cobra

1989 3288
Starshine
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds