Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3288 MY side window seals/track replacements

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 20 Mar 2012 00:48 #1

• Baggins55
  • Baggins55's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1988 3288MY. I need to replace the window seals. I believe I found the seals/tracks from a local Bayliner dealer, just can't figure out how to get the windows out to replace them. Any tips form anyone? Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 20 Mar 2012 01:02 #2

• billsguns
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Camano Island WA
  • Thank you received: 50
I replaced mine without removing the windows. Lots of soapy wate as a lubricantand pulled them through with a cord attached to the track

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 20 Mar 2012 02:58 #3

• jmcannonball
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 61

billsguns;664787 wrote: I replaced mine without removing the windows. Lots of soapy wate as a lubricantand pulled them through with a cord attached to the track

Here is my post from a few weeks ago:

If they are like most bayliners of that era, you will have to "pull" the seal out of the bottom and top, then the glass can likely be lifted out of the frame. If you can slide the window open, then pry up the bottom the seal from the open end of the window and pull on BOTH the window and the seal, hold the seal and push the window open again, pull on BOTH the window and the seal, keep repeating until you have the bottom seal removed. The top seal should now be easy to remove using the same procedure.

To install the new seals, you will have to reverse the process; with the window partially open, slide the seal over the top of the window and push on BOTH the window and seal while opening the window, partially close the window and repeat until the seal is fully seated. Repeat the process on the bottom seal.

Hope this helps.

Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys[/B]
Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
MMSI: 338030604

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 20 Mar 2012 23:05 #4

• patti ann too
Probably won't be able to get them out. My wife and I did the job in an afternoon by one holding up each window while the other pulled out the old rubber. (usually comes out in pieces) Same way to put the new ones in. I used plumbers grease on the new rubber, then pushed or pulled with a small offset needle nose pliers, or what ever worked. Takes a little patience buy you'll get it. By the way I got my rubber tracks from an auto body shop. Just took them a little piece of the old one, and they matched it right up. Think the cost was about $20 an 8 foot length. Good luck, Jeff

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 21 Mar 2012 12:32 #5

• Baggins55
Thanks to everyone on the tips on replacing the seals. Now that sroing is here and the weather has been so mild, great time to get started. Happy motoring.

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 21 Mar 2012 16:22 #6

• jdcook5
Replaced one side last year and plan to complete the other side this year. I used spray-on silicone to install seals (with glass in place). It tooks some time be patient. You will definite reduce the friction. Start with the bottom piece first then the top piece.

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 26 Mar 2012 22:56 #7

• absolutnecessity
I just finished replacing both sides this winter as well as painting the window frame. I was able to to completely remove the windows. To do this you must remove the metal pieces on the glass where the two meet when the window is closed. Pull out just the top track at this time. When the track is out you will be able to lift the window up and swing out the bottom. Once all the windows are out you just have to pull out the old track. Replacing the track is just the opposite. Put the bottom track in first the put in the windows. You will be able to slide in the top track with very little effort. I found the new track on amazon for only 11 bucks for each 8 foot piece. You will need 18 pieces to do the entire job if you want to replace all the track(including the verticle), without and seams. It was a big job but what a difference. Definitely worth doing

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 27 Mar 2012 01:45 #8

• Kåre L
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 4

absolutnecessity;667226 wrote: I just finished replacing both sides this winter as well as painting the window frame. I was able to to completely remove the windows. To do this you must remove the metal pieces on the glass where the two meet when the window is closed. Pull out just the top track at this time. When the track is out you will be able to lift the window up and swing out the bottom. Once all the windows are out you just have to pull out the old track. Replacing the track is just the opposite. Put the bottom track in first the put in the windows. You will be able to slide in the top track with very little effort. I found the new track on amazon for only 11 bucks for each 8 foot piece. You will need 18 pieces to do the entire job if you want to replace all the track(including the verticle), without and seams. It was a big job but what a difference. Definitely worth doing

This is on my to-do list as well. Do you have a link to the track on amazon?

Kåre
1990 3288 MY twin Ford 351's "Celuna"
Lighthouse Marina, Lake Murray, SC

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 27 Mar 2012 02:45 #9

• FishingFool
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 8

absolutnecessity;667226 wrote: I just finished replacing both sides this winter as well as painting the window frame. I was able to to completely remove the windows. To do this you must remove the metal pieces on the glass where the two meet when the window is closed. Pull out just the top track at this time. When the track is out you will be able to lift the window up and swing out the bottom. Once all the windows are out you just have to pull out the old track. Replacing the track is just the opposite. Put the bottom track in first the put in the windows. You will be able to slide in the top track with very little effort. I found the new track on amazon for only 11 bucks for each 8 foot piece. You will need 18 pieces to do the entire job if you want to replace all the track(including the verticle), without and seams. It was a big job but what a difference. Definitely worth doing

This is on my list as well. The link would be very helpful. Did you say you needed 18 pieces of the 8 foot tracking?

Bryan Clement
1977 Uniflite 38
Twin 310 HP Detroit's 671N
8KW NorthernLights Gen Set
2008 13 foot Boston Whaler Sport w/40HP Mercury
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 27 Mar 2012 17:15 #10

• Pappy
Baggins, Hope you don't mind if I hijack this thread, same subject. Where did you get your seals? Does anyone know where can I find new window seals for my 3218?

RICK
'89 3218 MotorYacht
"ShowTime"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 27 Mar 2012 23:26 #11

• absolutnecessity
http://www.amazon.com/CRL-Flexible-Flocked-Channel-1963-1966/dp/B000MPRM90

I know it says this is for a car but it is an exact match to what bayliner used. When I started this project I figured I needed 8 pieces. I didn't take into account there are two tracks on each side. If you want to do the project with no seams 18 would be what you need.

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 28 Mar 2012 12:25 #12

• Pappy
Very much obliged absolut!

RICK
'89 3218 MotorYacht
"ShowTime"
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 20 Apr 2012 00:25 #13

• Baggins55
Not a problem. Just saw your post. My replacement project is still in limbo. I think I ordered my seals from a local Bayliner dealer here in the balitmore area. They are still in the box and I think I still have the receipt. I will check this weekend and get back to you if you have not already found them.

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 20 Apr 2012 00:32 #14

• Baggins55
New problem. My middle window was shattered recently, just saw it when checking on boat. No other damage or vandalism on the pier. I think a fisherman dinged it with his sinker and it shattered. So now I not only need to repalce the seal, but the window as well. Does anyone know a good source to get a replacement window, or should I just try and get it locally. Thanks

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 20 Apr 2012 03:17 #15

• Sunnydude
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 27
Best price I have found for the AS1466 which is the top and bottom part number is here: http://www.perfectfit.com/15594/156059/Glass-Run-Channels/All-Rubber-Channels-with-Flocked-Lining.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: petes3288

Sean
1987 3870
Crimson Pride II
Past Commodore Mukilteo Yacht Club
MMSI: 338080226

3288 MY - advice on complete window frame removal 25 Jul 2017 01:20 #16

• petes3288
  • Thank you received: 2
Great info on window tracks! My challange is to actually REMOVE my complete window frames since they are peeling and pitted. I would like have them powder coated in matte black but I have no idea how to remove the frames from the boat. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1991 3288 Hino 150HP
Last Edit: by petes3288. Reason: typo

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 25 Jul 2017 02:11 #17

• dpeery
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 66
I have never heard of anyone removing the window frames. I think they support the flying bridge, so not sure that would work.

I cleaned mine up, used aluminum primer and painted them in place.

1988 Bayliner 3288
Hino 135s / Water Cooled Turbos
Texas Gulf Coast

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 25 Jul 2017 03:57 #18

• ALASKAN ADVENTURER
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 22
Bayliners are built like Mobile homes, ground up, window frames were never intended to be removed.
and the boats were never intended to last forever, but looks like some may see 50yrs

1988 3270
135 hinos
Seldovia ALASKA
KEVINS UPHOLSTERY
KEVINSBOATTOPS.COM
Marine canvas/Upholstery
since 1975

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 26 Jul 2017 22:14 #19

• capnken
  • Thank you received: 10
did the window channel rubber replacement on my 45 last year with windows in place as already described. • Window channel: CRL C.R. Laurence 800-421-6144
Purchased 20ea AS136972 @ $5.52 per 72" length and 20ea AS152896 @ $5.30 / 96" length.
this was for all my salon and pilothouse windows... your shopping list will be different. Look on website and you can see actual cross-section of channel and dimensions. good luck.

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 29 Jul 2017 21:06 #20

• petes3288
I was afraid this was the case. This is going to be a tedious job but it will look so nice when its complete. Its the only real eye-sore on the boat. I'm glad that I found the info on the window tracks here as all of mine are badly worn and are hanging up. Thanks for weighing in.

1991 3288 Hino 150HP

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 29 Jul 2017 21:21 #21

• petes3288
Sean: Thanks for this link! When I compare the specs from your link with the specs from the link above ( www.amazon.com/CRL-Flexible-Flocked-Chan...3-1966/dp/B000MPRM90 ) they vary slightly so I wanted to confirm that you had installed this part on your boat successfully. You're right, the price is much better. I just wanted to check with you before I hit the buy button.

1991 3288 Hino 150HP
Last Edit: by petes3288.

3288 MY side window seals/track replacements 26 Sep 2017 06:26 #22

• GDSJ
Has anyone replaced the plastic pieces that attach to the glass and if so where from ?

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds