Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Meridian 490 door parts

Meridian 490 door parts 12 Jan 2011 17:45 #1

• pilothouseking
  • pilothouseking's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I've been receiving inquiries from Meridian owners looking for information on where to find rollers, lock mechanisms, etc., for their Pilothouse doors. I've seen this info posted here before, but now can't locate it. Any help for these people? I usually just send them to this site for tech help on their boats. Don't know why Marine Max or Meridian can't help them, but apparently they can't/won't.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Meridian 490 door parts 12 Jan 2011 21:26 #2

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 966
This is a cut and past from an older post, the hardware is all available at any patio door supply location and the p/n's are listed below. Please note that after this was written they came out with a Stainless steel versions of these parts as well and you can cross reference them at any of the sites nif you prefer ss.

Bayliner door rollers

The sliding door hardware on the 38XX, 45XX, and 47XX all seem to be the same from our experience. The side doors on the 45 and 47 are a bit harder to get off and handle - but once removed the procedure is similar.
-

To remove the side doors put a towel or carpet scrap on the side deck outside and under where the door will ‘fall’. 1st remove the aluminum piece which prevents the door from jumping the track. It is help on by about 5 short phillips screws facing the door on the base track - a stubby phillips will help here. Then remove the screws holding the door track down to the ‘floor’, you will need to move the door to the fully open and closed position to reach all of them. A very long phillips will help here.
- The door is now free to rotate at the bottom and can be carefully leveraged out away from the boat and onto the side deck carpet scraps allowing the top to swing free of the door guides at the top. It is heavier then it looks.
- Once removed any door roller is more easily accessed by removing the channel at the base of the door which holds all of the parts. On most boats this will be held on by 2 phillips screws which are screwed into the side of this channel from the inside at each end holding the channel to the door.
- Once this assembly is in hand attention goes to each end where the door roller ‘holders’ are in place. Each one is attached by two screws about 3" apart at each end. Each screw goes in one side through the roller holder and back out the other into the ‘plastic’ track guide which keeps the door from coming out of the track when in use. Please note that one of these screws goes through the roller assy itself and forms the pivot point for the lower roller assembly adjustment.
- Before you pry out the wheel assy please note (write down) the ‘height’ of the wheels center groove (forward and aft) above the door base so you have reference to set back the new wheel assy at reassembly time - this will save time later on. When both of these screws are removed you can ‘pry’ out the roller assembly by using a long screwdriver and carefully pivoting the assy out of the track - if there is a bunch of rust this may take a little playing.

Fixing rollers–now you have many options - here are 2 of them
- #1 use the existing roller assy and replace the wheels only.
- Drill and drive out the old wheel axles retaining them in the assy - do not damage the existing assy. Only drill out the peened flange on the axle so as to allow you to drive it out and remove the old wheel.
- Use a new wheel primline P/N D-1502 (1-1/4" steel wheel) some of these have a short axle stub in each side and some do not. If it does - pry the wheel into the assy with both axle stubs in the holes, then using a hammer and peening base (we use a sledge on its side) peen over the axles applying your impact only to the axles themselves until they are peened into place. If there is no stub axle in the blister pack you can actually do this easier by utilizing a short length of brass rod from a marine supply store (or Home Depot) making your own short axles - they peen much easier.

- #2 use a new roller assy primline #D-1603 (1-1/4" steel wheel assy) by drilling out the axle in this blister pack that would normally be the screw location for the assy pivot point - you will now throw away a part of the outer case here. This is quite easy and understandable when you have the old and new assemblies in hand . Two notes here - 1. You may have to ‘squeeze’ and /or ‘hammer’ the closed end of this assy very slightly to gain clearance in the Bayliner door track - this is not so hard to do. 2. For a while you could buy this assy without the outer frame and use it as is – we have not been able to locate that package now for few years.

Reassembly
- Pack the new rollers with a suitable water impervious lube so you make this repair last . We use a non-petroleum based water resistant lube called superlube for ths purpose.
- Take time ‘prying’ and ‘pivoting’ the new wheel assy back in place with one or two screwdrivers until you can get the pivot screw in 1st. You may need to back out the SS hex screw in the end of the channel assy which adjusts the door roller height a bit to do this. After both screws are in but not fully tightened you can reasonably preset the height of the rollers by applying upward pressure to the roller groove while adjusting the height and then tightening the screws - use the previous dimensions written down both for and aft.
- The rest of this assy is just reversing the disassembly procedures above.
- Lifting a side door up and back into place is often hard but can be easier with a molding bar (small crowbar) , various cardboard pieces for protection and guidance, and wood spacer blocks being handy at the time. Once the door is up in the track and on the ‘ledge’ adjustments for final installation are easy.
It may be also be a good time to renew anything related to the doors such as weather seals, tracks, paint, or locks that need attention..
Many of the fasteners and washers may beg for replacement at this time if they survived the removal.
Experience has shown that extending the life of these rollers comes from using water resistant lubes as well as rinsing this area with fresh water after any salt water spray.

Hope this helps.
Smitty477
Ron & Karen Krupka

Northport NY

Meridian 490 door parts 12 Jan 2011 22:04 #3

• point2
  • Thank you received: 4
I rebuilt my doors on the 4788. I was able to get the roller wheels from Bayliner without having to rebuild them. I could look for a part number if you need it.

Stephan
"Mahaiya" 4788
Vancouver, BC

Meridian 490 door parts 14 Jan 2011 18:27 #4

• MerlinV
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80
We replaced all of the door rollers on our 490 last year. Despite our best efforts, we could not find suitable replacement rollers at Home Depot, Lowes etc., and finally ordered them through the Meridian dealer (M&P Mercury Marine) in Vancouver. The part number is 1762421, and the cost was around CAD$18.00 each inc. taxes.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/537182=14118-Door Rollers.jpg

Rob
Bayliner 5788
'Merlin V'
Vancouver BC

Meridian 490 door parts 20 Mar 2011 23:48 #5

• jimveres
  • Thank you received: 3
I attempted the roller replacement this weekend and ran into a roadblock that I hope the list can help with.

For some reason after 23 years of exposure to salt water the screws in the assembly that holds the rollers have frozen into the assembly. Two broke off when I tried to remove them and I was in the process of drilling out another when I decided that I really needed to source a new track.

Can anyone recommend where I might be able to obtain the entire door track assembly that the rollers mount into and that the then the door screws onto?

I also found that it was very easy to remove the door if I just removed the piece of wood at the top of the door (five screws). The top of the door could then be rotated out and the door lifted off the track. Very easy.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me source the assembly that holds the rollers.

Boat is a 1988 Bayliner 4518. The assembly should be the same on the 4555, and I suspect, the 47xx and 490.

Thanks,
Jim V.
'88 4518 in Seattle

Meridian 490 door parts 22 Mar 2011 20:38 #6

• jimveres
  • Thank you received: 3
Here's what I found out so far.
Part number 1702441 is the superseded part number for the door track. Bayliner lists it as no longer available.

Marine Liquidators doesn't have it either.

My best bet may be to find a boat that's being parted out. Does anyone have a pointer to a site where Bayliner motoryachts go to be turned into parts?

Thanks,
Jim V.
'88 4518 in Seattle

Meridian 490 door parts 31 Dec 2014 07:35 #7

• RinnyBeth
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6
will these work on a 3888... ours have been through the grim reaper and back.... need the rollers and tracking bar...... can you give a lady the hook up and easy place to get them pls... please pm the website where to get them...

Meridian 490 door parts 31 Dec 2014 07:38 #8

• RinnyBeth
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6
please send me the link for the merc place... I need to get 2 rollers ASAP... we might be able to get the tracks made here... or if they sell them even better.... thanks.. been looking for over a year now if not longer

Meridian 490 door parts 31 Dec 2014 14:11 #9

• gjkl1776
  • kent@kentmar.com
  • Thank you received: 5
I ordered some in August from Sea Ray they were a Meridian part number #1780115 stainless

2001 4788
Knott again
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds