Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Inverter Install Diagram on 45/884788/490

Inverter Install Diagram on 45/884788/490 03 Oct 2007 01:09 #1

• nelie59
  • nelie59's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I am looking for an inverter install diagram on the 4588/4788/490. I have an issue with the way the guy Gene had install the one on my 4788. We have some feedback issues and I want to see how others have installed them.

specifically I want to feed line 1 but how do I use the parallel switch and where do you feed the inverter from?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Inverter Install Diagram on 45/884788/490 03 Oct 2007 02:04 #2

• mmichellich
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381
I decided on our 47 that I only wanted to run certain circuits through the inverter specifically a new back deck outlet for a freezer, ice maker breaker, galley circuit breaker, outlets in pilot house, etc. I took the hot lead for each of these AND the neutral leads for these same circuits and installed two new supply buses for these inverter loads which were wired to the inverter 120 volt outlet. I then needed new breakers on the panel for the inverter loads and inverter/charger which were wired to existing circuits/buses and not the new buses. These connections allow 120 to pass through the inverter when on shore power or generator and to run the battery charger in the inverter. Hope this is clear. Seems to have worked well for 11 years or so. I have wired three boats roughly this way for my inveters. Only thing I wished I would have wired to inverter was the microwave.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Inverter Install Diagram on 45/884788/490 03 Oct 2007 02:36 #3

• nelie59
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
So you left the input and the parallel switch the same/stock way for the panel and then you created another set of "inverter fed Circuits" for the inverter load correct? Utilizing a bus for the black and the neutral.

For some reason I have an open ground on the boat and if I have the inverter on it back feeds to the shore power cord - not a good situation. Needless to say the "inverter load" is not isolated like you are recommending.

Inverter Install Diagram on 45/884788/490 03 Oct 2007 03:22 #4

• mmichellich
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
In my circuits the inverter is always being used no matter what source is or is not providing 120 volt power (i.e. gen or shore pwr). If I shut the inverter off the relays in the inverter just run power from that one breaker (on shore or gen) to provide power to the unique inverter buses. This wiring diagram was provided with my inverter owners manual for exactly the situation on my 47 power panel. The only difference I made was to not set up a seperate breaker panel, but just used the breakers in place but removed them (isolated them) from the big copper buss that connects all breakers in one column (and of course removed the common-white wire for these same circuits and put them on the new common buss).

You have to be very careful on the 47 power panel to really understand the parallel buss switches above the masters on Line 2 and 3. Look at the wiring diagram very carefully, even the master breakers are not used if put in parallel possiton. If handled wrong they can be down right dangerous in some circumstances. My shore power box has two 30 amp outlets. I can not tie these both into my boat without being extremely careful because they are not necessarily in phase.

Started boating 1965

Inverter Install Diagram on 45/884788/490 03 Oct 2007 03:42 #5

• nelie59
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Are you using a Freedom inverter?

Inverter Install Diagram on 45/884788/490 03 Oct 2007 03:52 #6

• mmichellich
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
We have a 2500 watt Heart Inverter in our 47 which we installed in Jan of 1996.

I am also pretty familiar with the Trace inverters having had two in motorhomes to date. My current 2004 motorhome had a main power panel with one breaker supplying power to a smaller 2nd power panel with all the breakers on this second panel being supplied by the inverter and or the one breaker on the main panel, very similar to how I wired my 47.

Started boating 1965
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds