Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Carpeting a 38xx

Carpeting a 38xx 02 Oct 2007 15:25 #1

• islandsun
  • islandsun's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am planning a carpet change this winter. Any one have suggestions & pictures. How hard is it to get the salon out in one piece to use as a template ? Ect.
Thanks
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carpeting a 38xx 02 Oct 2007 16:36 #2

• peter grove
it's not hard at all..just takes some strength and a pair of pliers and maybe about an hour for the full salon. you will come across much glue and thousands of staples. I replaced the carpet with teak and holly which looks great

Peter

Carpeting a 38xx 02 Oct 2007 18:47 #3

• wings38
I had my 38 recarpeted last year. Like everyone says, the hard part is removing all the staples. I had a friend in the business lay the new carpet, he installed short-nailed, concrete style tack strips everywhere and only used glue and staples where needed (side panels, hatches, stair treads, etc). Looks great. I think we used about 20 yards. I salvaged the old carpet pieces for a template but he only measured them and cut the carpet to rough size (real rough) in the parking lot and finished the job in the boat. I see you're in the Puyallup area also, I can ask him if he'd be interested in doing another boat. He wasn't into it the first time (boats are a major hassle compared to a house) but it didn't take him very long.

Brian
'94 4788 Cloud IX
Tacoma, WA

Carpeting a 38xx 03 Oct 2007 13:08 #4

• Bradvo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Brian, you have a pm

Carpeting a 38xx 03 Oct 2007 15:03 #5

• islandsun
  • islandsun's Avatar Topic Author
Would he be willing to give me a quote ?

wings38;74252 wrote: I had my 38 recarpeted last year. Like everyone says, the hard part is removing all the staples. I had a friend in the business lay the new carpet, he installed short-nailed, concrete style tack strips everywhere and only used glue and staples where needed (side panels, hatches, stair treads, etc). Looks great. I think we used about 20 yards. I salvaged the old carpet pieces for a template but he only measured them and cut the carpet to rough size (real rough) in the parking lot and finished the job in the boat. I see you're in the Puyallup area also, I can ask him if he'd be interested in doing another boat. He wasn't into it the first time (boats are a major hassle compared to a house) but it didn't take him very long.

Carpeting a 38xx 03 Oct 2007 15:20 #6

• wings38
Will let you know. I'll give him a call today.

BTW - I see you're in the gutter business. Will contact you for an upcoming project...

Brian
'94 4788 Cloud IX
Tacoma, WA

Carpeting a 38xx 03 Oct 2007 16:09 #7

• cecleveland
I had my carpets redone last winter. The removal part, as others have said, is the hardest part. I did remove the carpet myself, and let an installer do the rest. Make sure you get an installer who does boats on a regular basis; it is not as easy as it looks. Be carefull about the pliability and thickness of the carpet, as this becomes an issue on the removeable hatch areas where the carpet wraps around the edges.
If I were to do it again, I would seriously consider teak and holly. There is a synthetic product (laminate) somewhere out there that apparently works very well and looks almost like the real thing. An issue with wood and/or laminate may be noise from the engine room.

Cam Cleveland - M/V "IMPULSIVE"
Coal Harbour, Vancouver B.C.

Carpeting a 38xx 03 Oct 2007 16:35 #8

• peter grove
as mentioned earlier, I replaced my carpet with teak and holly this year. Noise is not an issue and I am very happy with the result

Peter

Carpeting a 38xx 03 Oct 2007 16:58 #9

• RegBruce
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

peter grove;74562 wrote: as mentioned earlier, I replaced my carpet with teak and holly this year. Noise is not an issue and I am very happy with the result

Peter

Do you have any pictures of the finished work? I'm beginning to draw up a list of winter projects at the marina, and replacing the carpet may make the list. Thanks! Reg

Carpeting a 38xx 03 Oct 2007 18:07 #10

• Mr. V
If Anyone Has Info Re The Laminate I Would Like To Hear About It. Thanks.

:) Mr. V
Miss Maggie 3888

Carpeting a 38xx 04 Oct 2007 11:53 #11

• rich38
FWIW: If you are going to replace the floor covering, now would be a great time to cut a hatch opening at the foot of the lower helm into the storage area at the foot of the bed in the mid stateroom for EASY access to this space. If you haven't done this already you will be amazed how much USABLE storage space this creates. And cheap!

Also, you will find the carpeting was installed before the lower helm and wet bar salon cabinets and is therefore under them - lots of cutting to get the old carpet out.

Rich
1991 3888
Homeport: Riverside, NJ

Carpeting a 38xx 04 Oct 2007 13:45 #12

• Chris on the James
I can confirm the ton of glue and thousands of staples for sure. Was not an easy job replacing the carpeting.. Did it about 5 yrs. ago, thinking about doing it again.

Carpeting a 38xx 04 Oct 2007 18:29 #13

• JohnnyRock
How did you guys get the glue up?

1987 3870 Motoryacht
"American Courage"
Hilton Head Island, SC
Chief Brody: "we're gonna need a bigger boat"
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds