• Page:

TOPIC: Found the mother lode

Found the mother lode 02 Oct 2007 13:24 #1

• Bradvo
  • Bradvo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Not gold but was to me. Sunday my wife and I met our kids over in downtown Tacoma for breakfast. Afterwards we went for a walk which turned in to antique store browsing. I happened to come across a stack of charts lying on the floor, had to be about 8 to 10 inches high.
As I began to browse thru them I was finding some great San Juan and Canadian Gulf island charts also charts around Bowen island and Jervis inlet
I kept digging thru and found western charts of the US coast, some blown out ones of the Columbia river bar area.
I then came across the Florida Keys chart's, Cuba, some around Orlando, the intercoastal water way.
This got me really curious cause I have not seen charts in a antique store before so I asked the dealer what he new about all the charts he had.
He told me they had all came from 1 guy. He had sailed from as far as Alaska thru out the PNW , inside passage areas, down the coast and thru Panama canal back up central America and around the keys including Cuba then into the intercoastal.
Some of the charts have been purchased as I did not find any of the central america and panama canal ones, but plenty of the Florida ones left.
What a trip eh. The dealer was selling the charts which were in excellant shape for 4 bucks a pop .
I picked up a couple charts for Canada cruising as I only had about 10 bucks cash on me at the time.
I was kinda moaning about having to treck along thru out the stores until I found these charts, I spent a bout 40 minutes browsing thru them.
I would like to have listened to the adventures of the man who dropped them off.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Found the mother lode 02 Oct 2007 13:31 #2

• MidnightSun
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
My accumulated pile of maps WAS about 5" high and must of weighed 20 lbs. Just this summer I went to get them out for reference but I had stored them in a forward compartment under the floor. I had a water tank leak and ALL the maps got wet and had mold on them, some of the ink had even transferred. They are all located in the trash bin at Grenadier Island. :(

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Found the mother lode 02 Oct 2007 15:33 #3

• Kuredu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The owner of those charts must have quite a story to tell!

When we bought our first boat we had already decided to call her Kuredu when we picked her up in Anacortes. A while later, back at her slip, I was cleaning up and came across a bunch of charts, one of the Indian Ocean, including the Maldives Islands and the isaland of Kuredu! How weird is that!?

Found the mother lode 02 Oct 2007 19:39 #4

• Robbie
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I've been on commercial vessels when charts are re issued the captain and mate go through all the old ones and throw them out, maybe someone has sold them on to flea market dealers.Some of them still have the course marked in original pencil and clock times where they where along the course. Nostalgic times for the bridge crew especially if the trip was made a long time before and was maybe a one off.

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds