Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: hard wiring block heaters

hard wiring block heaters 01 Oct 2007 05:09 #1

• ricks3988
  • ricks3988's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone
I have purchased 250 w wolverine heaters for my 330B engines in my 3988. I would like to hard wire them up to my panel and wonder if anyone can offer advice.
I was thinking I would cut off the plug and wire a junction box in the engine room and then run one wire to the electrical panel to an acessary switch. Would a certain amp breaker before the switch be a good idea? I'm planning to keep them on 24/7 to keep the engines warm and dry. thx for any comments.
rick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

hard wiring block heaters 01 Oct 2007 06:25 #2

• ChancesAre
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
but have used a lot of engine block heaters over they years; they DO fail, sometimes spectacularly. I'd breaker each one separately. With a junction box feeding both and only the feed to the junction box breakered, one could short out and not produce enough load to trip a breaker large enough for the combined circuit. Better safe than sorry.

Post script: Don't know where you are, but unless it is really cold, 24/7 is probably overkill. I don't know of any block heaters that are UL marine listed for a gas engine compartment, so I have a BoatSafe engine compartment heater. It comes on at 45F. That is more than adequate. I've gone down there when the air temp was near zero outside, and the engines just light right off like it's springtime. There are thermostats made for block heaters that can handle 1500 watts or more. A subpanel that is thermostatically controlled and with a breaker for each heater downstream from the thermostat would seem a good solution.

hard wiring block heaters 01 Oct 2007 13:43 #3

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 380
Bayliner wired my Hinos under warranty (as part of the smoke reduction exercise), and added block heaters on our 47 just as you indicated. Over the years the heaters failed several times on one engine or the other. We finally ended up getting different heaters and changed the junction box to a plug in. Now we just use them in the winter. Ours has electrical plugs at the engine also, so the wires can just be removed leaving the heaters installed for the summer.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

hard wiring block heaters 01 Oct 2007 14:38 #4

• Salmon Troller
  • Thank you received: 5
We also wired in a dedicated circuit & GFI outlet for our Boatsafe. Our stays on board all year but is only used in the dead of winter. It's nice to be able to throw a switch on the panel to energize the heater. BTW - if you have an inverter, be sure your bilge heater is not connected to it. In use, they will drain batteries pretty quickly.

2005 Bayliner 289 "Jake's Wake"

hard wiring block heaters 01 Oct 2007 15:56 #5

• Bradvo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I have a 110 breaker in panel for block heaters, it is connected to regular 110 plug in type outlet in engine room. Both block heaters use this outlet and are the plug in type which heats the coolant.

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds