Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: winterizeing Uline ice maker?

winterizeing Uline ice maker? 30 Sep 2007 23:39 #1

• megakram
  • megakram's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Any advice on winterizing a U line ice maker, will air pressure fully clear without taking it apart? This is my first winterizing a 4788 any tried and true suggestions for its long winter nap? Thanks..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

winterizeing Uline ice maker? 01 Oct 2007 11:32 #2

• CindyLou3
  • Thank you received: 0
I winterize my U-line by making a batch of pink (RV Antifreeze) ice. I empty my fresh water tank, drain my hot water heater (be sure it is turned off), and dump 10 - 15 gallons of AF in fresh water tank. I run all my faucets throughout the boat plus the toilet until it is coming out pink. Also have a special hose connection so I can use my fresh water system to winterize the marine air units and generator. I leave the water pressure switch on until the next morning, or until I have at least one good batch of really pink ice in the U-line. The whole process takes about an hour or two. I pump out my holding tank just before they pull me and then winterize my engines as the yard workers power wash my bottom.

winterizeing Uline ice maker? 01 Oct 2007 17:31 #3

• drphil
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You guys that use Antifreeze (Ethylene glycol) in your potable tanks and ice makers are CRAZY.

You do know it is poison don't you? Why not use ethyl alcohol (Rum or Vodka) which has a very low freezing point as well and will not kill you in small (or moderate) amounts?:)

winterizeing Uline ice maker? 02 Oct 2007 00:20 #4

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252

drphil;73820 wrote: You guys that use Antifreeze (Ethylene glycol) in your potable tanks and ice makers are CRAZY.

You do know it is poison don't you? Why not use ethyl alcohol (Rum or Vodka) which has a very low freezing point as well and will not kill you in small (or moderate) amounts?:)

Who said ethylene glycol? Most use propylene glycol. It is made for plumbing systems.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

winterizeing Uline ice maker? 02 Oct 2007 00:39 #5

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252

CindyLou3;73729 wrote: I winterize my U-line by making a batch of pink (RV Antifreeze) ice. I empty my fresh water tank, drain my hot water heater (be sure it is turned off), and dump 10 - 15 gallons of AF in fresh water tank. I run all my faucets throughout the boat plus the toilet until it is coming out pink. Also have a special hose connection so I can use my fresh water system to winterize the marine air units and generator. I leave the water pressure switch on until the next morning, or until I have at least one good batch of really pink ice in the U-line. The whole process takes about an hour or two. I pump out my holding tank just before they pull me and then winterize my engines as the yard workers power wash my bottom.

I normally use antifreeze too, but this year I'm going to try more air and less A/F. I know the uline can be blown clear because I've done it once before to diagnose a blockage issue. I disconnected at the cold water supply and was able to huff and puff air right through to the ice cube form.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds