Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sliding Hatch 490/47

Sliding Hatch 490/47 28 Sep 2007 22:48 #1

• harbordawg
  • harbordawg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
This is the hatch I built from 3/4" Starboard. It is strong enough to stand on when loading the dinghy, and I have placed a pin through the frame and hatch that secures it in the closed position for safety, when needed. It also helps in terms of security, in that when the pin is in place you have to enter through the pilot house to unlock it, helping to secure the flybridge. The front half of the hatch is narrower than the rear half, you slide the hatch to the stopper, and then fold it up onto itself. There is a stainless piano hinge in the center with rubber weather stripping to seal the seam. It over hangs the existing rim and does a good job of keeping the water out. The rails donot get in the way and do not have to be modified. The materials cost me about $150.00. The lower part of the hatch rails have to be beveled to match the rim, and I then used a belt sander to round the edges to match the curve of the rim. Alan

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=23gyzch&s=2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sliding Hatch 490/47 28 Sep 2007 23:31 #2

• harbordawg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
If any one can resize these photos, please feel free to do so. Thanks Alan

Sliding Hatch 490/47 28 Sep 2007 23:47 #3

• completelymobile
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17
You did a great job ... it looks like a factory option that should be available from Bayliner/Meridian! Can you share with us where you purchased the parts and starboard?

1994 4788

Sliding Hatch 490/47 29 Sep 2007 06:47 #4

• harbordawg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
The hardware was from the local hardware store. The rails and hatch were cut from a single sheet of starboard which I bought at West Marine during a 30% off sale. I used a table saw, router, drill and sander. Rails are made up of 3 pieces of starboard, and screwed together. Glue does not stick well to starboard so every thing has to be joined with screws. You have to predrill all holes and leave a little room for expansion. I used 4200 as caulk. Alan

Sliding Hatch 490/47 29 Sep 2007 20:37 #5

• JRSchwab
  • Thank you received: 0
Alan, nice execution. One question: Could you provide more details around "rubber weather stripping to seal the seam" (thickness of the rubber, etc) Do you have any plans/measurements you care to share?

There was another post a few weeks ago using a custom transparent hatch & some rework of the stainless rails (New Zealand BOC member). I'll see if I can find the link.

Thank you

Joe/Manasseh

Sliding Hatch 490/47 30 Sep 2007 03:38 #6

• KennyFerret
  • Thank you received: 17
Joe,

That was me. Here's the link:

http://p076.ezboard.com/4788-Stairwell-Hatch-Modification/fbocwebfrm26.showMessage?topicID=751.topic

Alan,

Nice job! What you've done is certainly a more cost effective way of keeping out the elements.

Ken

'94 4788 - "Crystal Voyager "

If you can dream it, you can do it
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds