• Page:

TOPIC: Cored?

Cored? 28 Sep 2007 22:46 #1

• Captain Art
  • Captain Art's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Hi Everyone,
Here's a question for those of you with knowledge of larger Bayliner/Meridian construction. Do all 4788's/490's have a cored hull. Or, did they change to solid fiberglass in the newer models. I ran into a 53 Navigator owner at Roche Harbor while traveling in Washington State. I stopped to get his feedback on some of the concerns expressed in an earlier post regarding the pros and cons of the Navigator 48 vs. the Bayliner/Meridian. He was as expected very biased toward Navigator and one of the things he mentioned was the cored hull on the Bayliners. He told me a friend of his tried to bring his 4788 on its own bottom up the coast from San Diego to Washington and got pounded to death. He said his friend said the boat didn't handle well in rougher conditions. This is exactly what a Bayliner owner said in my previous post about the Navigator in rough water. It's all very confusing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cored? 28 Sep 2007 23:10 #2

• Stratocaster
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Caribbean livin'
  • Thank you received: 25
Hmmm, a "friend of a friend" saying Bayliners can't handle rough seas. Tell that to Gene Hoffman, Gary Nelson or Kevin Sanders, all BOC members who have delivered their boats on the open Pacific, and certainly aren't dead from any kind of pounding :D

Mike P
The Bahamas
Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.
Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Cored? 29 Sep 2007 00:17 #3

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 964
45XX's and 47XX's can handle very rough seas indeed. We have had unplanned ventures where seas were braeking over the bow and throwing large amounts of green water onto the windshields - believe me, the boat will do better then you do.
The Bayliners are cored in all cases - and that should not present any problem from what we have seen in 2 dozen or so of these boats out here over the past 15 years.
We have rafted up against a Nav 53 and that would be the boat that is more apples to apples in size and volume to the 47/49. If you can view a Nav at the same marina or a boat show as a 45 or 47 that would likely help the comparison.(pace it off, measure it , walk it , sit in it)
We found the Nav 53 that runs around our area to be a nice boat with a slighly better ride in rough seas. We are saying that because we have been on it and it has been rafted up next to us a few times in past years. It is a faster (480 Volvo's) and heavier boat using a bunch more fuel as it goes along. Never have we seen a Nav 48 out here so there is no way that it can be compared.
Hope this helps.

Northport NY

Cored? 29 Sep 2007 01:25 #4

• nelie59
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I speak from experience that the 47/490 will handle anything you want to throw at her. We were in 11 to 13' at 11 sec in the dead of night with 5' wind wave and yes she slammed down and no it was not a comfortable ride but the boat came through like a champ. Yes she did flex but she was OK.

A friend of mine had a captain bring up a 52 OA up from the bay area and they only ran in the day and it suffered a broken starboard salon window from the flexing of the boat.

The simple fact is that no boat in the Bayliner line up is a certified passage maker and is designed to handle the constant pounding of rough seas. But I would say most all of the Motoryachts will take care of you in rough seas - will it be an enjoyable ride? - Depends upon your definition of enjoyable. Would I do the uphill trip again - depends on the circumstances. No matter what you need to watch the weather as there is a reason for so many ship wreaks at the bottom of the ocean!

Cored? 29 Sep 2007 07:24 #5

• harbordawg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Captain Art,

Where do plan on boating and what are you going to be doing in your boat? I think those questions will answer what boat would be best. We sea trialed our 490 in Huntington beach in 6 ft seas with a 30kt wind. The boat handled great although docking wasn't much fun. We probably wouldn't have gone out under those conditions, but we were only in town for a couple of days.
Here in the NorthWest our waters are more shelterd, with lots of places to duck into if you get caught in bad weather. That being said the waves here tend to be closer together and they can come from all directions, so you do want a boat that handles well. Both the Nav and the Meridian/Bayliner are perfect boats for this area. Niether boat has a blue water hull or carries enough fuel to be a long range ocean cruiser. The Nav 48 is almost exactly the same length as the 47/490 if you don't count the pulpit, which the Nav's do not have. The 53 is a stretched version of the 48, with a much larger cockpit. The Nav is all fiberglass and so weighs more than the 47/490. I believe on the 47/490 the bottom is fiberglass and the sides are cored. Alan

Cored? 29 Sep 2007 19:01 #6

• Bradvo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1

Captain Art;73162 wrote: Hi Everyone,
Here's a question for those of you with knowledge of larger Bayliner/Meridian construction. Do all 4788's/490's have a cored hull. Or, did they change to solid fiberglass in the newer models. I ran into a 53 Navigator owner at Roche Harbor while traveling in Washington State. I stopped to get his feedback on some of the concerns expressed in an earlier post regarding the pros and cons of the Navigator 48 vs. the Bayliner/Meridian. He was as expected very biased toward Navigator and one of the things he mentioned was the cored hull on the Bayliners. He told me a friend of his tried to bring his 4788 on its own bottom up the coast from San Diego to Washington and got pounded to death. He said his friend said the boat didn't handle well in rougher conditions. This is exactly what a Bayliner owner said in my previous post about the Navigator in rough water. It's all very confusing.

A good friend of mine just brought his 61 foot Hattera's which is stabilized up from Portland this past Spring to the Seattle area , he got bounced around to.
He was glad to get into the protected waters of PS.
HarborDawg asked a good question, where do you boat?

PS, The 47 Bayliner and my 50 foot Nav combined -still do not weigh as much as the 61 Hat

Cored? 29 Sep 2007 22:50 #7

• ericboater
  • Thank you received: 0
Captain Art and others,
The 490 & 580 are cored fiberglass below and above
the waterline. Hull is still fiberglass, but cored (sandwiched) between fiberglass layers with foam.

Cored? 03 Oct 2007 07:26 #8

• MerlinV
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80
I have just installed another through-hull for a transducer in our 4087. The area drilled was at the midpoint between the keel and the chine, and about two thirds of the hull length back from the bow. The thickness of the hull at that point is just over one inch, and is solid fiberglass with no evidence of coring at all.

Rob
Bayliner 5788
'Merlin V'
Vancouver BC
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds