Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3988 snooping

3988 snooping 27 Sep 2007 03:18 #1

• Brass Monkey
  • Brass Monkey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm looking hard at the 3988 to accomodate our ever expanding family. I'm looking for your suggestions on what to look for as I evaluate individual boats. I'm leaning toward the 330's.

Any things to consistently look out for in this model?

(I know to look for holes in the hull....)

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

No trespassing, prosecutors will be violated. :ouch

3988 snooping 27 Sep 2007 03:42 #2

• The Other Gary
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 128
How big a family, The salon setee /bed conversion is a pain in the keester to set up and to store. I don't even keep mine on board any more.

"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

3988 snooping 27 Sep 2007 15:06 #3

• Brass Monkey
Three girls under 10, one wife.

We like to cruise with my brother in law and his family, also. Seems to work good with the adults in two staterooms and kids in sleeping bags all over the place. Our 3058 was pretty cramped this summer.

3988 snooping 27 Sep 2007 17:46 #4

• joebooa
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Manalapan New Jersey
  • Thank you received: 10
Great boat for family cruising. With 4 adults and some kids you will have plently of room for short cruises and the 2 heads will make it very comfortable.

Joe
Green Eyed Lady
Sandy Hook NJ

3988 snooping 27 Sep 2007 17:51 #5

• Shakabuku1
Just sent you a Private E-mail.

Some thoughts in it on the 270 vs. 330 issue.

Also have a beautiful, well equipped 1999 3988 for sale.

Check your e-mail and call me if you have any questions.

happy Cruising

Shakabuku

3988 snooping 27 Sep 2007 17:56 #6

• Brass Monkey
Thanks.

I forwarded your comments to The Admiral and will discuss at Captain's Call tonight.

More soon.

3988 snooping 27 Sep 2007 18:42 #7

• StarBaby

The Other Gary;72614 wrote: How big a family, The salon setee /bed conversion is a pain in the keester to set up and to store. I don't even keep mine on board any more.

I second this - but with your size family and the sleeping bags it shouldn't be a problem. This is a great boat and I can't think of anything other than the usual things you would check in any boat. If you have a choice it obviously comes down to condition and any extras that have been added e.g. diesel heat, thrusters, davit systems, enclosures etc. Good luck.

Joe
Starbaby 2002 3988

3988 snooping 27 Sep 2007 19:26 #8

• Uncle Bob
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 132
Shakabuku, I'd like to see your (and any one else's) comments on 270's vrs 330's for a 39.

1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

3988 snooping 27 Sep 2007 19:46 #9

• Dr Prop
  • Thank you received: 1
Me too, the 39 should be my next boat and what about the Hinos???

Thanks

3988 snooping 27 Sep 2007 20:14 #10

• rbmitchell
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
The 270 and the 330 are the same engine with different turbo charged air cooling and, consequently, different hp RATINGS. Since the 3988 should require about 200 hp to move the boat along smartly, the two engines should be capable of moving the boat the same. The 270 hp version would, of course, be working at a higher percentage of its RATED load but since they would be operating at the same ACTUAL load, there should be little perceptable difference.

The difference in cooling, mentioned above, is the cooling water temperature running throught the aftercooler. The 330 RATED engine uses sea water while the 270 RATED engine uses engine coolant which is, perhaps, 100°F hotter than typical seawater. Otherwise the two different engines will see the same loads and the same wear and the same life.

Both engines should give you about 20 knots at 20 USgph or somewhere around one mile per gallon. Ignore the engine ratings and go according to the sea trials.

Sophomoric Member

3988 snooping 27 Sep 2007 21:13 #11

• gfrodel
My 95 3988 has the 250 Hino's and I am perfectly content with the performance. I actually wanted this year to get the cost down and I wanted the fuel efficiency of the smaller motors. Two to four knots slower than the 330's but that is ok. I cruise at 19 knots at 2700 rpm (WOT 3000) if I am in a hurry. Love the boat.

3988 snooping 27 Sep 2007 22:31 #12

• Frank Lawson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I used to sell yachts for the Bayliner dealership in southern cal, after I retired so I could be around boats all year. many times we took the 39 out for sea trials man what a nice boat very, very, stable the 330s were so sweet with power to spare, never got to drive one with the 270s. hope this helped.

Frank L

3988 snooping 29 Sep 2007 16:31 #13

• captron3233
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Just sea trialed our 3988 last week. 18.5 knots at 2300 according to gps. Probably would have ran out a lot better, but when we hauled her for the survey the bottom was pretty over grown ( local diver had supposedly just cleaned her ). We ran our sea trail on SF Bay in a 30-40 knot blow, boat handled just great but it was a bit misty on the fly bridge. Practiced a man overboard when the winds ripped the cushions off the foredeck, stopped all the work on the new bridge while the workers watched these crazy boaters retrieveing a cushion. But back to the original question, it does have the 330's and I think she's going to perform nicely. She's going back in the water next week then a 50 mile run back to her berth.

3988 snooping 01 Oct 2007 16:50 #14

• Shakabuku1
Uncle Bob,

As previously posted, we looked for a 1999/2000 3988 with 330's.

Found one in maryland and flew our broker out for sea-trial and survey.

330's on this boat had been abused, somekind of previous overheat lead to exhaust bypass and soot in the engine room, we passed.

Aside from that there were many other options we wanted and continued to look around, finally found one here in Seattle that had been priced higher than market would bear and sat around @ Blackfish for several months.

This boat has twin 270's which is what we purchased.

As we do not cruise past 16 to 18 knots, top speed is irrelevant. We have put upwards of 170 hours on these engines in the 2 summers we have had her.

Discussion with other BOC members and our Mechanic's (Breakwater tacoma & Cummins NW) any difference in performance is negligable.

As for economy, we typically use 1/2 Gallon of diesel per engine for each mile we travel. last logged trip was from gig harbor to Roche Harbor, through Deception, around August 5. GPS Tracked 118 Miles, average speed was 14.8 kts. with top speed reading @ 19 kts. (This is from GPS and is speed across ground).

We topped off before leaving for further north and took exactly 119 gallons, so 1 mpg with both engines running is pretty true to form.

Typically RPM @ around 2,500 is optimal, which is approx. 16 to 18 kts. (Depending on current, trim etc.)

I've never had a boat with 330's, so my only experience is with the 270's.

I love the Cummins Engines, alot of service providers in and around puget sound (Due mainly to the sheer number of Bayliners with Cummins Engines), they are true workhorses.

I have heard that there may be some economy issues with the 330's, but I dont know.

Ours is still for Sale, if you know anyone looking.

Skakabuku

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds