Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How Many Zincs?

How Many Zincs? 26 Sep 2007 23:59 #1

• Merridale
  • Merridale's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
When I purchased my 2002 3488 there were two 1 3/4" zincs on each shaft, one zinc on each trim tab plus the big mother aluminum anode on the transom. The boat is also equipped with a zinc saver.
I have noticed a number of similar boats on the hard with only one zinc on each shaft. How many are really necessary on each shaft to do the job? Now that the price of each one is the equivalent to a steak dinner and a cheap bottle of wine, if one is sufficient, I'll do it.

Brian Walker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How Many Zincs? 27 Sep 2007 00:31 #2

• StarBaby
  • Thank you received: 0

Merridale;72532 wrote: Now that the price of each one is the equivalent to a steak dinner and a cheap bottle of wine, if one is sufficient, I'll do it.

Brian Walker

Yea, but a new prop & shaft is the equivalent of several steak dinners and several bottles of really expensive wine.

One may be enough depending on how often you change zincs. I personally prefer a little overkill on this one. Also I've had shaft zincs thrown from the shaft before.

Joe
Starbaby 2002 3988

How Many Zincs? 27 Sep 2007 01:13 #3

• mmichellich
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 380
I have always used two zincs on each shaft. One the traditional zinc type and the other the square donut looking zinc. This latter zinc lasts a lot longer than the former. I put the donut at the shaft/hull interface and the standard shaft zinc right in front of the strut. Always figured zinc savers were mostly worthless. I also use a commercial zinc plate on the transom with double thickness and the thick stock Bayliner standard hockey puck zincs on each trim tab. These zincs except shaft zincs will last 2 years at least, with the shaft zincs needing replacement roughly every 6 months for the standard and 12 months for the donuts.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

How Many Zincs? 27 Sep 2007 02:16 #4

• tweekes
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
The outboard tabs usually have zincs because they are not bonded. the center zincs are bonded via a thu fastener. Shafts are hard to bond because the transmissions make a poor quality electical connection.

How Many Zincs? 27 Sep 2007 17:28 #5

• gsilvest
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi Brian,
You can eliminate the shaft zincs if you can install shaft brushes that are wired to your main zinc plate. My 3270 is set up that way. No problems yet. The problem with the shaft zincs is you may not know if (or when) they have fallen off.

I had to add zincs to the center trim tabs because although wired to the main zinc plate it wasn't working properly (poor contact?) and there was some corrosion.

George
"Delphin"
'89 3270, 135 HP Hinos
Victoria, BC
Member:
Capital City Yacht Club
Oak Bay Power & Sail Squadron
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds