Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: XYZ anchors anyone?

XYZ anchors anyone? 25 Sep 2007 19:07 #1

• RegBruce
  • RegBruce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
This past weekend, I pulled up my Danforth-style anchor (actually made by a company called US anchor) and the shaft was bent rather badly. Sigh . . . The GOOD NEWS is that I am going to shop for a new anchor. I anchor primarily in mud (with 300 ft. of 5/16" chain), so want something that works in that setting. Anyway, I searched on this site the word anchor and found the discussion I remembered concerning the best anchor for a 38XX (and a couple of other related threads). The general consensus was a Danforth/Fortress anchor or a CQR anchor. In my searching on the Internet, I have come across the XYZ anchor . Does anyone here have any experience with this anchor. It looks quite different, but from the videos on their site (and the reviews they link to), the anchor looks to perform well.

Thanks, as always, for your insights.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

XYZ anchors anyone? 25 Sep 2007 19:17 #2

• RobertSchommer
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 3
If I were shopping for a new anchor for my 38xx; I'd seriously consider something like this....
Stainless CQR style, 44 lbs, $300.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Stainless-Steel-Hinged-Plow-Anchor-44-lb_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31281QQihZ015QQitemZ250168211939QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Remember bigger is better, don't settle for a 33lb one - get a 44 (or even 66lb) anchor.

I'd also seriously consider a Bruce-style.
50lbs, galvanized, $120

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-50-lbs-North-Star-Bruce-Claw-Boat-Anchor-NR_W0QQitemZ320160530351QQihZ011QQcategoryZ26446QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

XYZ anchors anyone? 25 Sep 2007 19:20 #3

• ModMMax
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I changed mine this year. Went from a 45 lb CQR to a 66 lb Bruce knock off. Haven't really tested it yet but most boats in this area use a Bruce style and oversize.

XYZ anchors anyone? 25 Sep 2007 19:29 #4

• RegBruce
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Robert,

That sure is a pretty stainless steel anchor! Too bad my galvanized chain would interact with it. I'd be turning heads with something that shiny! :)

Yea, I know conventional wisdom is to go with a big CQR or Bruce anchor. Even a heavy Danforth-style is common. One anchor I'm looking at is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching&viewitem=&item=280153605917&_trksid=p3907.m32

However, I really want to see if anyone on this board has used (or knows of someone who has used) the XYZ anchor. It just looks rather interesting.

XYZ anchors anyone? 25 Sep 2007 21:11 #5

• ModMMax
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
All it has to do is "work" and they all do work. Anchors are such a personal thing. If you like the look of it, make it happen. BTW, I think it looks great. If I was still in the market for a new anchor, I'd would not be afraid to try one.

XYZ anchors anyone? 25 Sep 2007 21:40 #6

• RobertSchommer
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Lets see ....

A 13.5 lb anchor costing $450 ... that's $33 a pound.
I'm thinking that might be the most expensive anchor I've seen.

http://www.azuremarine.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=XYZ:A135V01S

(fyi bestmarinesports.com doesn't exist anymore)

XYZ anchors anyone? 25 Sep 2007 22:25 #7

• RegBruce
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Actually, the prices are different from where you went . . . with the newer design.
  • XYZ Extreme® 14lbs/6.5kg - $297.00
  • XYZ Extreme® 32lbs/15kg - $497.00
Still, your point is still valid. The anchor I just bought this afternoon (the one on e-bay in my earlier post) was a Lewmar CQR 60# anchor at $510. That works out to $8.50/pound. But . . . with an anchor, does size really matter . . . or is design an important factor too? I mean, I hear (for the most part) praise from Fortress owners for their anchors -- but, those are some of the lightest on the market. Sigh . . . if I didn't want (I mean, need) so many other things for my boat, I would just order a XYZ anchor and run real life tests myself. Hmmm. . . stay tuned.:rolleyes:

XYZ anchors anyone? 26 Sep 2007 01:19 #8

• mhsachse
I installed the highly rated Bulwagga...nobody has ever heard of it but the darn thing works, sets quickly and sets hard when you back down on it. (The boat stops and you take a step forward for balance.) Check it out. Remember, when the tide changes and the boat swings the anchor comes out and has to reset. I like the quick set, which comes for the "Bulls" 3 blade configuration. As a diver I anchor all the time.

Marv

XYZ anchors anyone? 26 Sep 2007 02:14 #9

• mmichellich
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 380
I am not amazed a Danforth look alike failed, have seen many do the same. The big issue is not what anchor you use but how much weight the combination of chain and anchor has. We have been very successful using anchors that are for boats much larger than ours and they really hold and do not bend. I still would recommend a Danforth with a forged shank in mud of the proper weight. I would never consider an aluminum anchor, kinda defeats the purpose.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

XYZ anchors anyone? 26 Sep 2007 06:32 #10

• Incommunicado
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 10
As mentioned, this is a very personal thing. I am on the extreme end of the scale with not only a 66lb original Bruce on my 38 with 300 ft of 5/16 BBB, but I also carry a 33lb Aluminum Spade with 100 ft of BBB & 300 ft of 3/4 in rode. The usual comment is that "boy, you must sleep good at night" and for the most part I do. As a garage can not be too big, there is no anchor that is too big when deployed, only when retreiving.

For my part if $ are a concern, skip the stainless & go with a bigger / better anchor. A Stainless steel anchor is only eye candy IMHO, what you want is security. Big & ugly trump beauty.
Bill

Bill
1993 3888 with Hino 210s
2005 Selene 55

XYZ anchors anyone? 26 Sep 2007 11:14 #11

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 592
Agree with Bill but my anchor is a 45# Bruce style.
Sometimes I wish it were 66# but I have never had a Bruce slip.
One thing about a polished stainless. The clay and mud seems to slide right off. You will notice the difference.
But that is secondary to holding. Bill is certainly correct here.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

XYZ anchors anyone? 26 Sep 2007 15:37 #12

• Incommunicado
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Doug, that makes sense about the mud & clay, so I stand corrected. Now if I only could afford Stainless chain. PC chain on my old Uniflite was much easier to wash off then the BBB. Do you have any tricks?
Bill

Bill
1993 3888 with Hino 210s
2005 Selene 55

XYZ anchors anyone? 26 Sep 2007 16:50 #13

• steves501s
I agree with Doug. I have a 55 Northstar (Bruce knockoff) on our 45'. This is the third boat I have had with a Bruce, or Bruce type. I have never pulled loose here in the Delta. Twice, while rafted out, my Bruce held when everyone else came out. You could have played Banjo on those lines tied between us! If the boat swings with the tide, it just digs in deeper. I wouldn't have anything else as a main anchor. I have one of those light weight Fortress anchors for the stern, but rarely use it. Steve

XYZ anchors anyone? 26 Sep 2007 19:21 #14

• RobertSchommer
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
If you fish around the Nordhavn site, you'll see that most of the boats are equipped with CQR-style anchors. I'd guess at 90%, with the remainder being Bruce-style.

For these guys, money is no object.

XYZ anchors anyone? 26 Sep 2007 20:20 #15

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Doug, that makes sense about the mud & clay, so I stand coBrrected. Now if I only could afford Stainless chain. PC chain on my old Uniflite was much easier to wash off then the BB. Do you have any tricks[/QUOTE

Well maybe one trick Bill but I am not sure how long it will last.
I sprayed my chain with silcone spray. Not the entire length but enough to cover some of what lays on the bottom near the anchor.
The stuff came off by itself or a light spray.
I didn't get a chance to see how long it will last without a repeat but might be worth trying.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned

XYZ anchors anyone? 26 Sep 2007 20:32 #16

• Coastrider
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 124
Someone may correct me but it was my understanding that original Bruce anchors (not copies) are now discontinued.

Cheers,

Mark

XYZ anchors anyone? 26 Sep 2007 21:04 #17

• RobertSchommer
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I believe Bruce's patents ran out and everyone could copy them without penalty. Their $500 anchor couldn't compete with an identical $200 version.

XYZ anchors anyone? 26 Sep 2007 22:29 #18

• bigjohnbates
Never had a problem with my Delta 22 anchor - used the same one on my 2455 and 2850. Size is not equivalent to holding power - and of course the amount of chain, type of bottom, water flow and other factors are important. Then that skill test - setting an anchor - is something many boaters don't seem to bother to learn properly. My two cents ...

http://www.multihullsmag.com/magazine/articles/delta.htm

John Bates
Current: 1976 Uniflite 36 "Caleuche" w/ twin 454 Crusaders
Previous: '85 Bayliner 2850 - '89 Bayliner 2455 - '90 Reinell 179

XYZ anchors anyone? 26 Sep 2007 23:43 #19

• SteveE
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
On my two previous boats (a 28 Bayliner Contessa, and a 3888) I had Bruce anchors. NEVER a problem, if you make sure it is set well initially. Our current boat (4550) came with a Forfjord Safety Anchor and I'm still apprehensive about it, so I recently emailed the anchor manufacturer for reassurance. Here was their response:

The #6 (65 pound) is right for your craft with a considerable safety factor built in for your cited area...

Our anchors perform under Alaska STORM conditions for the rating. Twice the wind of normally rated anchors such as the Bruce. We are the choice of the Canadian Coast Guard, US Fisheries vessels and the Alaskan Coast Guard small craft, and all the high line fishing vessels under 90 feet clear into the north Bering Sea and south to Mexico and off the coast of South America...

Many pleasure craft are wisely making to switch to the Forfjord Safety anchor, the Lord Nelson yacht fleet almost to a vessel. We have large yachts under construction around Puget Sound placing their orders as they ready for the water, already building the vessel anchor gear and bows to suit the Forfjord Anchor. Why? The weather is getting very quirky now and forecasts have proven to be highly inaccurate, and word of the wonderful holding power is out in the yachting world circles.

Steve, always remember if you do not like this anchor, merely return it. This has been our policy since 1948, and the only returned anchors were traded in like cars for a new Forfjord anchor, normally going up a size on a larger newer vessel.

- Allen Furford

http://www.seanet.com/~julie321/index.html

I feel better about this anchor and I've no problems at all in the year we've been boating with it. I know that you do see these anchors mostly on commercial vessels, but not too many pleasure craft. They are available thorugh Fisheries Supply, among other places.

SteveE
ABYC Certified - Marine Electrical
Dometic SeaLand Certified - VacuFlush & MasterFlush
Skagit Bay Search & Rescue - active member
1986 4550 "Synergy"
La Conner, WA

XYZ anchors anyone? 27 Sep 2007 06:41 #20

• Incommunicado
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Steve, you do see most commercial boats up north with Forfjord anchors, & they anchor out in some strong winds with short scopes. I certainly would not hesitate putting my confidence in one. I have never used one, but have used a CQR. That is one anchor that is not on my short list. Like the article states, it seems to always lay over on it`s side & drag before it will reset when the wind changes direction & it takes them a long time to reset. The Bruce spins on it´s wing and seems to reset immediately. Years ago we chartered a 44 ft blow boat out of Porto Escondido Mexico & it had a bruce & CQR on board. I would dive down & look every morning to see what the anchors had done overnight. In sand & mud you could see a trail of where it was & also observe how it was laying at present. With the exception of soft mud, the Bruce won hands down. On our 38, while up north I don´t dive on the anchor, the bruce has not let me down, ever. I do carry a spare anchor on the pulput that is better in soft mud, but up north one will find mud, but rarely soft mud. Only once have I switched from the bruce & reset with the spade because of the mud. With that said, I still agree that anchors are a very personal thing.

I think I haved a almost new [used only a couple of times by a little old lady] 33lb Delta [made in England ] & a 44lb steel Spade that I should sell. I will not be home for a month, I will put an ad in the classified ads then.
Bill

Bill
1993 3888 with Hino 210s
2005 Selene 55

XYZ anchors anyone? 27 Sep 2007 12:40 #21

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

the bruce has not let me down, ever

In the 5 years I have use one which equates to almost a year on the hook, mine hasn't either.
I can't come close to saying that about any other anchor I have tried.
The Delta comes close to the bottom of my list.
But as Bill says, its a personal thing.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned

XYZ anchors anyone? 27 Sep 2007 14:09 #22

• Beltfed1
Mine is a 44lb. pivoting model, which I have only ever used in the middle
position. It fits very snugly in the roller that way. I have it on the end of 15' of chain, then 300' of 5/8 three strand nylon.
From Lake Huron to Florida, it never failed to set on the first try and always held fast in changing winds. When I back down on it, it bites hard and fast.
It held me during hurricane Isabelle in measured, sustained 90 kt. wind.
I bought mine lightly used for $200. The guy I got it from was swallowing the anchor for a dirt boat.

XYZ anchors anyone? 28 Sep 2007 20:38 #23

• RegBruce
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Well . . . Drago from XYZ Anchor has answered some of my e-mail questions on their unique anchor. I referred him this discussion thread and told him I was surprised no one here had any hands-on experience with their anchor. One thing led to another and they'll be sending one of their anchors early next week. I'll test it and report on what my experience is with the anchor. I'll make comparisons with this anchor to the 60 lb. CQR. I was at the two largest yacht businesses in the Louisville area this afternoon picking up some parts, and nobody at either place had heard of the XYZ anchor . . . but, they sure do want to see the anchor when it comes in!

Have a safe boating weekend,
Reg

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds