Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Screen on Fuel pick up line

Screen on Fuel pick up line 25 Sep 2007 01:15 #1

• nfboater
  • nfboater's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Love this site.....i have been having a problem with my port tank and thought I was going to have to cut it open. read a thread here that mentioned the screen on the fuel pick up line in the tank. I thought my fittings were welded, but gave them a good twist with the wrench and sure enough they gave a little, so I ventured on. After a few turns the fitting came up with a plastic tube that extended to the bottom of the tank with a crimped end and a very fine screen which had some muck like substance on it. I removed the screen and at least now the filters can do their job. With the screen in place I could not keep the engine going for 30 seconds and at least now the engine will run off that tank, but the filter is filling up pretty fast with gunk... Like I said...love this site

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trev
Bayliner 4087 - Zuri
NL, Canada

Screen on Fuel pick up line 25 Sep 2007 01:47 #2

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381
Had the same thing happen many years ago on a 26 foot gas Bayliner. Spent a fortune replacing fuel parts and finally found the plugged screen. Boat would run fine until all the fuel in filters and lines were used up-about 30 seconds. Mine was full of something that resembled silicone goop. I had to change filters a couple of times until all the goop was gone.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Screen on Fuel pick up line 25 Sep 2007 02:03 #3

• nfboater
  • nfboater's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
I had assumed since my engines are diesel that the screen would not be there, but I guess since this model can be either gas or diesel they come with the screens...

Trev
Bayliner 4087 - Zuri
NL, Canada

Screen on Fuel pick up line 25 Sep 2007 02:10 #4

• The Other Gary
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 131
Now that you know how to get there you can get a vacuum oil change pump and, using the dip stick wand, pump out all the junk from the bottom of the tank. The wand will let you get right into the lowest corners.
I bought a 32xx a few years back and took 18 litres of water out of the bottom of the tanks. That water was full of suspended crud.

"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Screen on Fuel pick up line 25 Sep 2007 02:42 #5

• ejsoder
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I bought a 3270 and It did not have the screens on the pickup tubes. I would like to get some. My problem has been sucking up small peices of junk out of the tank and clogging the 90 Deg. fitting that comes out of the top of the tank. The hole in the fitting is not large enough to let the larger peices make it to the filter element. I lost an engine right in the middle of the straight of Georgia a couple of weeks ago due to this problem. This is twice now that it has caused me problems. It only takes about 20 min. to clean but what a pain.

If you are having problems with RPM fluctuations after an hour of running check this fitting for crud.

Anyone want to send me their unwanted screens? Thanks, Ed

Screen on Fuel pick up line 25 Sep 2007 03:26 #6

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381

ejsoder;71802 wrote: I bought a 3270 and It did not have the screens on the pickup tubes. I would like to get some. My problem has been sucking up small peices of junk out of the tank and clogging the 90 Deg. fitting that comes out of the top of the tank. The hole in the fitting is not large enough to let the larger peices make it to the filter element. I lost an engine right in the middle of the straight of Georgia a couple of weeks ago due to this problem. This is twice now that it has caused me problems. It only takes about 20 min. to clean but what a pain.

If you are having problems with RPM fluctuations after an hour of running check this fitting for crud.

Anyone want to send me their unwanted screens? Thanks, Ed

Buy a chunk of quarter inch copper tubing and use your oil changer to suck out all the crud in bottom of your tank as suggested. If the tubing is long enough you can run it back and forth in all the lower portions of your tank. Don't be afraid to use friends to weight down the stern or one side to assist the work.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds