• Page:

TOPIC: Rafting and the Environment

Rafting and the Environment 24 Sep 2007 21:07 #1

• bsuttie
  • bsuttie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 0
We've enjoyed some good times rafting with friends this summer. Power is always an issue when not plugged into shore power. We were anchored and rafted with 2 other boats for a couple of nights. We provided the hook with the other vessels tied to us. Two of us had generators on board and one only an inverter. Over the 3 days and 2 nights generators were run and engines started for cooking, charging etc.

Thinking back I was wondering if it would be possible to add a 120V external power supply outlet, that would allow others to plug in to our boat?

Our 8Kw Generator would be able to provide the necessary power for all 3 boats. The others could chip in a couple of bucks for diesel. We'd be putting less hydrocarbons in to the atmosphere and it would be a little quieter as well.

Has anyone done this before? What are your thoughts on the subject?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Brian
Meridian 490 "Salish Mariner"
Vancouver, BC

Rafting and the Environment 24 Sep 2007 21:12 #2

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 253
We travel with sail boats mostly and they often plug into us. Usually a 120V 15A supply is enough for them so I just give them a regular extension cord plugged into one of my outlets and they use an adapter to plug into their shore inlet. It covers them for charging but not hot water at the same time.

And since I'd be charging with or without them there, i wouldn't want any money for fuel.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Rafting and the Environment 24 Sep 2007 21:17 #3

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381
Do it many times, just make sure the outlet you let your friends plug into is never powered by your inverter. When you shut down the generator, your batteries could go flat very fast.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Rafting and the Environment 24 Sep 2007 21:24 #4

• Coastrider
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 124
We have done this with no problem as have other friends. Just plug a regular extension into one of your outlets (we use one in the corner of the salon) and your neighbour has 15 amp power.

We only do this when our genset is running. When we shut it down the plug comes out. I didn't see any need to hook up a special outside plug.

Cheers,

Mark

Rafting and the Environment 25 Sep 2007 01:19 #5

• nfboater
  • Thank you received: 2
You can use your regualr shore power outlet on the outside of your boat to send power out. I became aware of this accidentally, when I left a shower power pigtail attached to my outlet with the generator running. My wife stepped on the cable and gotta a real nice shock out of it, but was not burned or injured. She subsequently gave me a major burn for leaving the pigtail hanging with exposed ends.....

Trev
Bayliner 4087 - Zuri
NL, Canada

Rafting and the Environment 25 Sep 2007 01:44 #6

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

nfboater;71767 wrote: You can use your regualr shore power outlet on the outside of your boat to send power out. I became aware of this accidentally, when I left a shower power pigtail attached to my outlet with the generator running. My wife stepped on the cable and gotta a real nice shock out of it, but was not burned or injured. She subsequently gave me a major burn for leaving the pigtail hanging with exposed ends.....

Check your switch settings, that should not happen on many Bayliners as they have protection to prevent such an accident.

Started boating 1965

Rafting and the Environment 25 Sep 2007 02:06 #7

• nfboater
  • Thank you received: 2
You are right, in that if I had the switches on the panel set to off for the shore power, this would not have happened, but I guess you could turn this bug into a feature, if you wanted to share power with a neigbour....

Trev
Bayliner 4087 - Zuri
NL, Canada

Rafting and the Environment 25 Sep 2007 03:29 #8

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

nfboater;71787 wrote: You are right, in that if I had the switches on the panel set to off for the shore power, this would not have happened, but I guess you could turn this bug into a feature, if you wanted to share power with a neigbour....

I installed three 120 volt outlets on my back deck. One comes from my inverter and I use it to run one or two freezers. The second does not go through the inverter and has 15 amp connectors. The third is a 30 amp female connector that also does not go through the inverter to accept a shore power cord. All have 5 or 10 amp breakers. That way none of the users can use too much power.

Started boating 1965

Rafting and the Environment 25 Sep 2007 05:38 #9

• MerlinV
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80
I have read this thread with interest, as we have been considering adding a power outlet to enable us to share generator power with other vessels when rafted. As others have commented, we have often plugged extension cables into our 15 amp power outlets which usually helps with light loads.

The real issue comes when the load demand is heavier, and another vessel needs to use an electric stove, water heater, or has to recharge a battery bank. In those cases, our experience has been that the outlet receptacle breaker has popped immediately.

Our game plan was to mount a dockside type outlet inside the lazarette which would not add any additional load to the existing on-board wiring circuits. The plan included a dedicated isolator & breaker, which would only need to be switched on the occasions when power sharing was needed. This approach seems to be inherently safer, and would allow normal shore power connector to be used, avoiding the use of extension cables.

Has anyone approached the issue this way?

Rob
Bayliner 5788
'Merlin V'
Vancouver BC

Rafting and the Environment 25 Sep 2007 11:43 #10

• Chris on the James
  • Thank you received: 0
Don't think you need a 120. I rafted up with a buddy, he passed an extension cord over and I just plugged into the receptable by the wet bar. Course it helps that you ensure your buddy is probably grounded, as I found out the next morning when I stepped into the water via the ladder on the swim platform. That will wake you up for sure!

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds