Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bottom paint vs diver cleaning?

Bottom paint vs diver cleaning? 23 Sep 2007 14:50 #1

• BobL
  • BobL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
What are the consequences of having a diver clean your bottom vs. having the boat bottom painted? Can a problem develop am I better off to go ahead and have her hauled and painted?
I have been using a diver on a regular basis for the past six months. He has cleaned the bottom and replaced zincs. He tells me the boat is due for painting. The bottom was treated with an epoxy barrier coat by the former owner and then had two coats of ablative two years ago. First sign of bottom growth was slower speed vs rpms then it became obvious as stuff growing on the bottom could be seen. Cleaning restored speed.
Bob
'87 3818
St. Marys, GA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bottom paint vs diver cleaning? 23 Sep 2007 16:10 #2

• ChancesAre
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
on the painted bottom, the paint is worn out and needs to be replaced. Even in the much colder water here, I'd have to have the bottom cleaned probably weekly during summer if the bottom were unpainted. I do use a diver to change my zincs since it is cheaper than a haulout and I have him stab at cleaning the drives, but I still have to haul it out at least twice a year to powerwash and acid scrub the drives and tabs to control the barnacles. I've never found an effective anti-fouling paint for the drives and tabs now that all the good ones have been outlawed - used my last "outlaw" paint a couple of seasons ago.

In your warm water, I just don't see how you could keep up with keeping the bottom clean with no or worn out bottom paint.

Bottom paint vs diver cleaning? 23 Sep 2007 18:56 #3

• Kuredu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
You want to keep the critters away from your hull at all costs. Once a barnacle get's it's hold on the gelcoat you have bigger problems and may end up with blisters or worse.

Paint the bottom.

Bottom paint vs diver cleaning? 23 Sep 2007 22:19 #4

• mmichellich
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 380
Gosh I learn something everyday, barnacles can cause blisters on fiberglass. I thought the residue from barnacles was just the "glue" they generate to stay put. If you have growth on the bottom (waterline excepted) it is probably time for new paint. Usually a diver is right if he says you need paint, but the opposite is not necessarily true.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Bottom paint vs diver cleaning? 23 Sep 2007 23:39 #5

• Kuredu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
LOL - they don't cause blisters! They will damage the gelcoat though, and THAT will cause problems....;)

Bottom paint vs diver cleaning? 24 Sep 2007 01:16 #6

• tweekes
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Build yourself a home made hooka and clean the bottom yourself. Typically stuff starts growing around the waterline where it gets direct sun but you can usually pop off any barnicles with a putty knife as long as there is any paint at all, especially alabative. The problem is usually with the machinery. Paint doesn't stay on the props, tabs, rudders, struts and shafts as well as through hulls. That will really slow you down. Those need to be cleaned at least monthly if it is gone. My metal stayed painted for a year because it was put on correctly. I am cleaning the machinery now but after three years in S. Florida water, the bottom is still OK. My little hooka setup cost me under two hundred.

Bottom paint vs diver cleaning? 24 Sep 2007 11:54 #7

• Aussie
Now you have my attention.

How does your little hooka system work. Specs drawings photo's.

These things are expensive to buy and I do mine with a snorkle but get frustrated when I run out of lung capacity just when I am making progress.

Wayne

Bottom paint vs diver cleaning? 25 Sep 2007 20:57 #8

• Scotto97
My 325 cruiser is docked on Lake Mead and needs a good scrubing. My friend and I are SCUBA certified. What do you typically use to remove fresh water algae growth while in the water? (tools, pads?) Thanks

2005 325 Cruiser (previous)
2007 Sea Ray 260 Sundancer (current)

Bottom paint vs diver cleaning? 26 Sep 2007 01:50 #9

• Pacrimrat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1995 4788, PNW
  • Thank you received: 136
When I bought my boat in Florida I had the bottom painted. The guy put on at least two coats all the way around, including the running gear.

Last year I had divers clean and replace zinc and the paint was still OK

A few weeks ago I had it done again, they say I’m now ready for paint.

So I’ve got 4 years on this bottom paint. I guess I need to find out what the guy put on in Florida and use the same stuff this winter.

Chris

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds