• Page:

TOPIC: Silencing Pressure Alarms - 3488

Silencing Pressure Alarms - 3488 21 Sep 2007 00:53 #1

• rodell
  • rodell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 25
Our boat has the Cummins 250's, and, the associated low oil pressure/over temperature audible alarms. Wonderful devices.

However, our ignition switches are in the salon, at the electrical panel. So, when transiting the locks, or, some other area, a shutdown using the diesel "stop" switches requires a trip out of the flybridge to shut off the ignition switches, with a need to reverse the procedure when starting up.

This just isn't going to do.

I've considered using one of my AUX switches to silence the alarms, either directly or through a relay, running a second set of ignition switches, etc., etc. The ignition (probably not the right term for diesels!) switches provide +12v to a 15 amp line that is fed to the engine ignition hot and the +12v bus at each helm.

I'm not enamored with silencing the alarms, lest my silence method silence them at the wrong time.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best route to go? I really need to be able to shut down amd restart the engines from the flybridge and not make the trip or call to someone else.

Bob
Smiles / Hour

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Silencing Pressure Alarms - 3488 21 Sep 2007 00:57 #2

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381
Why are the alarms going off? They shouldn't go off unless you stop the engine without shutting off the key?? An old confused fart!

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Silencing Pressure Alarms - 3488 21 Sep 2007 01:00 #3

• rodell
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The diesel "stop" switches are at the helm, but, the keyswitches are in the salon. Sorry I wasn't being clear. So, I hit the "stop" buttons, and, the alarms go off.

Bob
Smiles / Hour

Silencing Pressure Alarms - 3488 21 Sep 2007 01:02 #4

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 381
My fault really, I was about to delete my post as when I reread your original post I understood. Told you old fartitus.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Silencing Pressure Alarms - 3488 21 Sep 2007 14:50 #5

• Salmon Troller
  • Thank you received: 5
So you are using the keys at the lower helm not the upper, but are killing the engines with the upper stop buttons? We have gas engines and use both our upper & lower helms regularly and go through a bit of a dance to make sure that the ignitions are controlled by whichever helm we are using. No matter which helm we started with, when changing, we simply switch on the ignition on the new helm and then off at the old. I would think that this would work just as well for you

2005 Bayliner 289 "Jake's Wake"

Silencing Pressure Alarms - 3488 21 Sep 2007 15:03 #6

• rodell
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The problem is there are no keys at either helm - they are in the electrical panel in the salon. I don't have the option of switching, unless I decide to install two more switches and run the wires from the upper helm to the panel (a not so fun task, and, I'm not enamored to have another 40' of wire in that circuit).

In my last boat, I had the same situation you described and would do just that.

Bob
Smiles / Hour

Silencing Pressure Alarms - 3488 21 Sep 2007 15:07 #7

• myflies
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 9
You could put a switch at the helm on the power wire to the ignition switch. Putting this switch in the off position would disable the power to the ignition switch and also shut off the alarm, but wouldn't allow you to start the engines back up with a disabled alarm.

Silencing Pressure Alarms - 3488 21 Sep 2007 18:14 #8

• Kuredu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
I have the same setup and agree it's a nuisance. Not only that, but having the alarm scream while the pre-heaters do their job is an equal pita.

Myflies' idea is good for shutting down, but not the startup-preheat issue. One almost want some mechanism which will silence the alarm if the motor is NOT spinning, so you don't loose the obvious value of the alarm but it won't bother at start-up or shut-down.

Silencing Pressure Alarms - 3488 21 Sep 2007 19:43 #9

• rodell
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Here's what I think I will do. I will put a 12v normally closed relay in line with each of the salon switches. I'll control those relays from the flybridge, and, use two switches there.

When activated, these "shutdown" switches will stop the engines, and, it will silence the alarms immediately. When re-engaged, I can start. It won't take care of the problem of listening to the alarms before the start is completed, but, I can live with that.

I think I'll use a covered switch that can't be accidentally operated. I wouldn't want to force a shutdown at the wrong time. This scheme doesn't force me to run the +12v ignition bus up to the flybridge and back, but it does make me fish a pair of wires. If the relay should fail, it should fail in the normall closed position, still allowing operation.

Bob
Smiles / Hour

Silencing Pressure Alarms - 3488 21 Sep 2007 20:13 #10

• Kuredu
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Shut-down does not bother me - I will not shut off the engines before I am secure (that means I'm not on the bridge anymore) and we usually shut down with the keys at the electrical panel anyway.

If someone comes up with an idea for the start-up procedure I would be most interested.

Silencing Pressure Alarms - 3488 21 Sep 2007 20:58 #11

• rodell
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Well, there is one solution. The new Q-series Cummins are equipped with alarms that only sound when the engines are supposed to be running.

In our case, we might motor to an area to drift, and, would like to shut them down and "hang out". That requires a trip to the salon right now.

Bob
Smiles / Hour

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds