• Page:

TOPIC: Crane on 38xx

Crane on 38xx 21 Sep 2007 00:08 #1

• belandd
  • belandd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I am seeling less and less use for my lower helm. Especially after I saw the pictures of that very nice 38xx with the lower helm removed.

thus I am thinking about mounting my dinghy on the bow of my 3870 and installing a hydraulic crane to launch and retrieve it.

Is this too much of a stretch? Will the bow of a 38xx hold up to that kind of load?

should I just get a stronger wife to launch and retrieve my dinghy?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Crane on 38xx 21 Sep 2007 00:20 #2

• Coastrider
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 124
When we moored our boat in West Vancouver we had a 38 right next to us that did what you are considering.

He installed a crane same as on the 4788 and mounted about a 10 foot centre console RIB with a 30 hp and he claimed he had no issues with it. He thought it was the best modification he had done as it also totally freed up his swimgrid.

He thought his lower station pretty useless and never used it so he never missed not having it either

Cheers,

Mark

Crane on 38xx 21 Sep 2007 00:33 #3

• captgeorge
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I think the weight would really make that boat plow into the water. As far as the helm, I removed my steering wheel and it made lots of room by just doing that!

Crane on 38xx 21 Sep 2007 00:39 #4

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252
When we were shopping I looked at one that had done that.
The post came down through the mid-cabin head, tight to the forward bulkhead. It was a nice installation. The tender on the foredeck was a RIB about 12' on deck chocks. In open water you cols till drive from the lower helm but you'd have to move around a bit to sure nobody crept up on you.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Crane on 38xx 21 Sep 2007 03:25 #5

• belandd
  • belandd's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
When we brought out boat up to Alaska from Seattle in 2002 we saw a 38xx with a crane and dinghy on the bow.

I doubt if plowing would be a problem. I have stowed dinghy, canoe, kayak and shrimp pots up there all summer. It is just a bit of a mess.

Crane on 38xx 21 Sep 2007 05:27 #6

• Coastrider
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 124
I just remembered something.

The RIB my neighbour had on deck chocks on his bow was a 12 foot RIB
not a 10 foot and it had a 50hp Honda on it.

I did ask him about the weight on the bow and he said he thought the boat handled better and even more solid going through rough chop.

He said his setup with the 12 foot Aqua Pro Rib (over 200#), the Honda 50 (over 200#) plus fuel and equipment weighed in a bit over 500 lb. That does not include the davit weight on the bow.

He was happy.

Cheers,

Mark

Crane on 38xx 21 Sep 2007 12:17 #7

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252

belandd;70702 wrote: When we brought out boat up to Alaska from Seattle in 2002 we saw a 38xx with a crane and dinghy on the bow.

I doubt if plowing would be a problem. I have stowed dinghy, canoe, kayak and shrimp pots up there all summer. It is just a bit of a mess.

Coastrider;70733 wrote: I just remembered something.

The RIB my neighbour had on deck chocks on his bow was a 12 foot RIB
not a 10 foot and it had a 50hp Honda on it.

I did ask him about the weight on the bow and he said he thought the boat handled better and even more solid going through rough chop.

He was happy.

Cheers,

Mark

I'd agree - the extra weight up on the foredeck will be beneficial not detrimental.
It's not that much weight - maybe 200lb for the davit, 150lb for the dinghy, 130lb for the outboard, 70lb fuel, chocks, oars, dinghy anchor etc - for a total of less than 600lb - and this is generous.
We often have 8-10 people on the foredeck (~1500lb) and it barely moves the the waterline.

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Crane on 38xx 21 Sep 2007 13:17 #8

• Pete8738
See : Boats for sale, page 8 item 4 : 1987 Bay 38 for sale
The pic shows the dinghy davit I have on the fordeck.

I keep a 10 ft. Avon Rollaway with a 15HP motor there when cruising
and put it away when not needed.

It is a 600 lbs capacity davit. Abosolutely no issues with weight
or plowing, took it to the Bahamas and on a 6 months trip up and down
the East Coast.
I love the electric lifting on/off with little effort on my part.

Pete

Crane on 38xx 21 Sep 2007 17:21 #9

• SteveE
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
When we kept our 3888 at Dagmar's in Everett for a season there was another 3888 there that had a hydraulic lift on the bow with the dinghy stored there. I talked to the owner about it one day and he had nothing negative to say about it. It seems like a great setup.

After owning a 38 for 5 years, and now having a 4550 with a true pilothouse, I too would consider scrapping the lower helm on the 38. It's pretty much a waste of space since you can barely see over the bow at idle, forget about it at anything above about 8 knots unless you are boating in debris fee waters that you are very familiar with.

SteveE
ABYC Certified - Marine Electrical
Dometic SeaLand Certified - VacuFlush & MasterFlush
Skagit Bay Search & Rescue - active member
1986 4550 "Synergy"
La Conner, WA

Crane on 38xx 22 Sep 2007 00:38 #10

• HughfromOz
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 8

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

As you can see, I have the davit on the swim platform and I am wishing I had a crane on the front. There is not enough weight up the front of the 38xx and I think the tender on the front deck would make the boat perfom better. The room up front seems to mostly wasted space. having the tender on the back of the boat is sometimes handy but a lot of the time I find a hinderance. I have seen this done with the crane mounted above the ensuite off the forward birth as would be easy to conceal the supports for it in there.

I am in the process of rebuilding my swim platform as the previous owner did not seal off the screws for the brackets and the wood in the core of the swim platform has rotted away, in the end the only thing holding the tender on was the 2 outer fibreglass skins

Hugh

Hugh
1990 3888
Hino 175 Diesels

Crane on 38xx 24 Sep 2007 13:51 #11

• yachtman32
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm going to remove a rear mounted davit from my 3270 and place if up for sale if anyone is interested. Its homemade but looks real good, has electric winch, I used it to lift a 10 inflatable and 6 horse Yamaha onto the hardtop. I can send pictures if anyone is interested. Located in Eastern Washington.
Will be placing an add in the proper section but thought I would through it out here.

"Amore"
Pend Orielle Lake, Idaho
1986 3270 110 Hinos
Self Trailered.
17' Tashmoo Boston Whaler
90 HP Johnson
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds